Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Anderson CORBIN 1765-1845

  • Mechelle Wallace
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 31, 2008
      The tax records for his county give info...ag census, and sometimes history of the county
      and family names are documented by the Historical Society. The census usually states if the person can read/write.

      Good Luck

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2008
        You can check the GenWeb website for Harrison County, WV
        http://www.wvgenweb.org/harrison/index.html
        and/or check the West Virginia GenWeb Archives for CORBIN.

        U.S. Pensioners, 1818-1872
        http://www.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=1116&enc=1
        Name: Anderson Corbin
        Pension Office City/Town: Wheeling
        Pension Office State: West Virginia
        (image is of a pension record 'spreadsheet')
        Anderson Corbin, Reduced to Private
        Died 1st March 1845, Pd 2d qr 1845.

        There are 11 RootsWeb WorldConnect trees for Anderson Corbin
        http://tinyurl.com/6pajje

        Google Books - http://tinyurl.com/5ea27n
        History of Harrison County, West Virginia
        "The following were qualified as Grand Jurors:
        ... Anderson Corbin ...

        Anderson Corbin was on the 1803 & 1804 Harrison County Tax Rolls.
        http://www.hackerscreek.com/files/1803LAND.txt
        http://www.hackerscreek.com/files/1804LAND.txt

        Harrison County, West Virginia - Revolutionary War Pensioners
        http://ftp.rootsweb.ancestry.com/pub/usgenweb/wv/harrison/military/revwa
        r/pension1.txt
        Name: Corbin, Anderson
        County: Harrison
        Military Unit: VA state troops
        Pension Started: 1832; age 69 in 1832

        > Does anyone have known resources to get this type of information?

        What type of information? That he was educated?
        The GoogleBook entry is a possible - if this is him,
        I would presume that a Grand Juror would be an educated man.

        - Tom Knox IBSSG

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "rwe38133" <rwe38133@...>
        wrote:

        > Anderson CORBIN of Harrison Co., WV is my direct 5th g. grandfather.
        > I am interested in knowing more about this man. He must have been well
        > educated due to him writing to the county clerk giving permission for
        > his daughters to marry and his signature.
        > Does anyone have known resources to get this type of information? Any
        > assistance in the matter would be greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Thank you,
        > Rick

      • Mechelle Wallace
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2008
          Hi Rick,
          I thought that you and some of the rest of the group might be interested in this. My Grandmother only had an 8th grade education, yet she seemed so intelligent, maybe this is why...
          I came across this final exam for the 8th grade, and only copied a portion of it. I could not pass this exam, and I am working on my Bachelors Degree.

          8th Grade Final Exam: Salina, KS - 1895
          Grammar (Time, one hour)
          1. Give nine rules for the use of Capital Letters.
          2. Name the Parts of Speech and define those that have no               modifications.
          3. Define Verse, Stanza and Paragraph.
          4. What are the Principal Parts of a verb? Give Principal Parts of do, lie, lay and run.
          5. Define Case, Illustrate each Case.
          6. What is Punctuation? Give rules for principal marks of Punctuation.
          7 - 10. Write a composition of about 150 words and show therein that you understand the practical use of the rules of grammar.
          Arithmetic (Time, 1.25 hours)
          1. Name and define the Fundamental Rules of Arithmetic.
          2. A wagon box is 2 ft. deep, 10 feet long, and 3 ft. wide. How many bushels of wheat will it hold?
          3. If a load of wheat weighs 3942 lbs., what is it worth at 50 cts. per bu., deducting 1050 lbs. for tare?
          4. District No. 33 has a valuation of $35,000. What is the necessary levy to carry on a school seven months at $50 per month, and have $104 for incidentals?
          5. Find cost of 6720 lbs. coal at $6.00 per ton.
          6. Find the interest of $512.60 for 8 months and 18 days at 7 percent.
          7. What is the cost of 40 boards 12 inches wide and 16 ft. long at $20 per m?
          8. Find bank discount on $300 for 90 days (no grace) at 10 percent.
          9. What is the cost of a square farm at $15 per are, the distance around which is 640 rods?
          10. Write a Bank Check, a Promissory Note, and a Receipt.
          U.S. History (Time, 45 minutes)
          1. Give the epochs into which U.S. History is divided.
          2. Give an account of the discovery of America by Columbus.
          3. Relate the causes and results of the Revolutionary War.
          4. Show the territorial growth of the United States.
          5. Tell what you can of the history of Kansas.
          6. Describe three of the most prominent battles of the Rebellion.
          7. Who were the following: Morse, Whitney, Fulton, Bell, Lincoln, Penn, and Howe?
          8. Name events connected with the following dates:
          1607
          1620
          1800
          1849
          1865
          Orthography (Time, one hour)
          1. What is meant by the following: Alphabet, phonetic, orthography,
          etymology, syllabication?
          2. What are elementary sounds? How classified?
          3. What are the following, and give examples of each: Trigraph, subvocals, diphthong, cognate letters, linguals?
          4. Give four substitutes for caret 'u'.
          5. Give two rules for spelling words with final 'e'. Name two exceptions under each rule.
          6. Give two uses of silent letters in spelling.
          Illustrate each.
          7. Define the following prefixes and use in connection with a word: Bi, dis, mis, pre, semi, post, non, inter, mono, super.
          8. Mark diacritically and divide into syllables the following, and name the sign that indicates the sound: Card, ball, mercy, sir, odd, cell, rise, blood, fare, last.
          9. Use the following correctly in sentences,
          Cite, site, sight,
          fane, fain, feign,
          vane, vain, vein,
          raze, raise, rays.
          10. Write 10 words frequently mispronounced and indicate pronunciation by use of diacritical marks and by syllabication.
          Geography (Time, one hour)
          1. What is climate? Upon what does climate depend?
          2. How do you account for the extremes of climate in Kansas?
          3. Of what use are rivers? Of what use is the ocean?
          4. Describe the mountains of North America.
          5. Name and describe the following: Monrovia, Odessa, Denver,
          Manitoba, Hecla, Yukon, St. Helena, Juan Fermandez, Aspinwall and Orinoco.
          6. Name and locate the principal trade centers of the U.S.
          7. Name all the republics of Europe and give capital of each.
          8. Why is the Atlantic Coast colder than the Pacific in the same latitude?
          9. Describe the process by which the water of the ocean returns to the sources of rivers.
          10. Describe the movements of the earth. Give inclination of the earth.

          wrote:

          > Anderson CORBIN of Harrison Co., WV is my direct 5th g. grandfather.
          > I am interested in knowing more about this man. He must have been well
          > educated due to him writing to the county clerk giving permission for
          > his daughters to marry and his signature.
          > Does anyone have known resources to get this type of information? Any
          > assistance in the matter would be greatly appreciated.
          >
          > Thank you,
          > Rick

        • rwe
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2008
            I seem to remember this "test" floating across the internet some years ago and believe it was noted as being unfounded as an actual given test and more of someones intent to make today's students seem more "uneducated" then they were then.
            Men of the early 18th century were mostly uneducated due to being more needed for working the family farm. Girls were given a general education, but it was more necessary they learned to keep house, sew and cook. Generally, only the wealthy, in those times, received decent enough educations to actually read, write and sign their names.
            I do know that my Corbin family was close to Gen. Washington, close enough that a nephew was named George Corbin Washington, and were also related to Pres. Monroe.

            Thanx anyway.

            From: Tom Knox <tomknox2001@ yahoo.com>

            To: genealogyresearchcl ub@yahoogroups. com

            Date: Sunday, November 2, 2008, 9:59 AM

            wrote:

            > Anderson CORBIN of Harrison Co., WV is my direct 5th g. grandfather.

            > I am interested in knowing more about this man. He must have been well

            > educated due to him writing to the county clerk giving permission for

            > his daughters to marry and his signature.

            > Does anyone have known resources to get this type of information? Any

            > assistance in the matter would be greatly appreciated.

            > Thank you,

            > Rick

          • Tina Stedman
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 16, 2008
              I have received many emails about this 8th grade final exam and I
              wanted to clear some things up.

              1. This final exam is an actual exam that was given to the students.

              2. Why snopes.com has this exam listed as "false" is not for the test
              itself but for the fact that most of the time, the test is used to
              show how rotten our education system is today compared to when this
              test was given. If you would like to read more info on this, you may
              go to http://www.snopes.com/language/document/1895exam.asp

              Again, this test is accurate but the statements that generally are
              with this test are not.

              Thanks for all of your input!!

              Tina Stedman
              Admin for Genealogy Research Club