Re: [Genealogy Research Club] new here

  • circa_1948
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 31, 2008
      other than the usual pay and free sites, search keywords SPAIN SPANISH GENEALOGY.
      Aslo try cyndislist http://www.cyndislist.com/spain.htm and http://www.cyndislist.com/hispanic.htm are just a couple with Spanish roots links.
      Don't forget to search various site's forums like http://genforum.genealogy.com/spain/ for your surnames, cities etc.
      Good luck,
      Sunny
      IBSSG

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 31, 2008
        When I first started, I knew the location of where they lived. I began by looking at the census records for their county. Document the children that they had, birth/death dates,
        and some states have their death certificates online. Usually on a death certificate they list the mother's maiden name...which gives you another clue.. Often times in the 1800s, people married their neighbors, or even cousins.. That's where the hard part starts...

        Good Luck

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 31, 2008
          Where did the family live ? You could start with the census.Give me some of thier names.

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 1, 2008
            Blondie12262

            Try these sites:   www.rootsweb.com   www.familysearch.org   www.usgenweb.org

            www.acpl.lib.in.us

            Kevin Reynolds
            Marion Indiana

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 1, 2008
              You should probably join genealogy groups in the County, City, State where you know your ancestors lived. May run into someone who knew some of them. Also, they live there, often & have access to records from universities, papers, etc. Patience is most necessary tool. Sometimes goes quick, sometimes takes years.
              Keep accurate records of where you Post Information, & what you posted, when,/Give nfirst/middle/last names of all known close relatives(mom/dad/siblings/grands,/city/county/state/dates of birth/marriages/deaths,  if any of these are known. The More info you give others to help you search, the better the liklihood they will get the right people if they find someone.
              FamilySearch.com  is beginning place to start...BUT- on familysearch, Only put in first/middle/last name & state. If you put in a lot on this site, it brings up zillions of possiblilties. You can add more next seasrch if you find someone.

              God Bless you & yours
                Sheila

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 2, 2008
                Best bet is to gather as much information as you can. One big problem
                is familysearch.org does not have some diocese and church records are
                gold with Spanish genealogy.

                Another issue is some places are known by different names depending on
                nationality. The area my family comes from has 3 different names for
                area and towns, Spanish, Basque and Franch. My family is from north
                Spain/Franch border area.

                There are a lot of Spanish groups, if determined, learn that an online
                translator is your friend if you do not speak Spanish.

                Email me if you want, perhaps I can help you. Just send me family names
                and any information you know. I can post for you on some groups.

                Linda Caastillo Valentino
                branwynbreeze@...