Re: question on photos for family researchers...

  • drneedle551
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 20, 2008
      Hi photoguy,

      Your instincts about your albums is right on the money! Don't break
      them open and separate the images. albums are the best way to preserve
      your photos. It prevents them from being in the light for long periods
      of time, which can cause fading, and helps keep environmental
      contaminants (like pollution, smoke, aerosols) from slowly destroying
      your collection. KEEP THEM IN THE ALBUMS! I do this for a living. When
      you need to copy them a good copying company will take high resolution
      digital photographs of each page or each photo (as I do) and then save
      them to a disc or hard drive. Then they are saved for posterity and
      can be printed out for each member of the family to have a copy of
      what they want. This method preserves the originals and yet gives
      access to the images without danger of ruining them or the albums they
      are in ( which are historical artifacts in themselves.).

      Hope this helps. If you have more questions read the conservation page
      on my website: http://www.sdprr.com

      Yours,
      Rick Hayes
      San Diego Photographic Restoration and Repair

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, photoguy97
      <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > i'm sure plenty of you guys have dealt with getting or preserving
      > family photos. you see, we have dozens of photo albums and i want
      > kids & future generations to know their relatives. the kids are out-
      > of town and never see the memories. i've gone to Best Buy and looked
      > at their scanners, but I'm not a technology buff and I'm sure it
      > would take anyone months of their free time to do this on one of
      > those slow flatbed scanners. i can't take out that kind of time.
      >
      > I looked online a bit for some services. i only found one that
      > actually scans photo albums - The Digital Convert (
      > www.thedigitalconvert.com ). They actually have excellent prices and
      > say they can finish in just a few days, but i was wondering if anyone
      > here has used them.
      >
      > All the other places say you have to take all the pictures out.
      > That's insane! Our pictures are stuck to the pages with notes. We're
      > not gonna destroy our albums and get all the pictures mixed up.
      >
      > Is this what everybody does with inherited albums? I mean not
      > everybody has room to store their parents' huge collections. And
      > splitting them up doesn't seem like the best idea.

    • hkartdive
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 7, 2013
        Did you ever find a satisfactory solution to this problem? Nowadays there are apps for scanning photos stuck in albums with smartphones and tablet computers, like Pic Scanner (for iPhone, iPad), Shoebox (for iPhone, iPad) and TinyScan (both Android and iOS)

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, photoguy97 <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > i'm sure plenty of you guys have dealt with getting or preserving
        > family photos. you see, we have dozens of photo albums and i want
        > kids & future generations to know their relatives. the kids are out-
        > of town and never see the memories. i've gone to Best Buy and looked
        > at their scanners, but I'm not a technology buff and I'm sure it
        > would take anyone months of their free time to do this on one of
        > those slow flatbed scanners. i can't take out that kind of time.
        >
        > I looked online a bit for some services. i only found one that
        > actually scans photo albums - The Digital Convert (
        > www.thedigitalconvert.com ). They actually have excellent prices and
        > say they can finish in just a few days, but i was wondering if anyone
        > here has used them.
        >
        > All the other places say you have to take all the pictures out.
        > That's insane! Our pictures are stuck to the pages with notes. We're
        > not gonna destroy our albums and get all the pictures mixed up.
        >
        > Is this what everybody does with inherited albums? I mean not
        > everybody has room to store their parents' huge collections. And
        > splitting them up doesn't seem like the best idea.

      • Andy Swarbrick
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 16, 2013
          We scanned all our extensive collection of family albums and other documents and objects largely using a flatbed scanner.

          Challenges included
          - big fat albums where the photos closest to the centre curved inwards.
          - albums where the photos are covered with a plastic film that is not totally flat.  This can create a shimmer line across the photos
          - labels lying across the photos
          - loose photos
          - oversized photos & other documents

          In an album a couple of good things can be that
          - photos have comments attached to them, usually places, names, dates etc.
          - also you can usually feel confident of the sequence the photos were taken in.

          Because I did this for all my family albums I can offer this as a service mostly to people who live in my area (Oxfordshire), but I don't usually do it nationally.

          Whether you do it yourself of hire someone like me I reckon it's worth the effort - but it takes care, time and diligence.    My service can also includes face matching which means the same person can be identified across several photos.

          Where known all photos are renamed to include the names of people in the photos, dates and places.

          Because it takes time - and for some albums it is difficult to predict the time taken I charge by the day.

          Regards
          Andy

          On 7 September 2013 19:02, hkartdive <hkartdive@...> wrote:
          Did you ever find a satisfactory solution to this problem? Nowadays there are apps for scanning photos stuck in albums with smartphones and tablet computers, like Pic Scanner (for iPhone, iPad), Shoebox (for iPhone, iPad) and TinyScan (both Android and iOS)

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, photoguy97 <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > i'm sure plenty of you guys have dealt with getting or preserving
          > family photos. you see, we have dozens of photo albums and i want
          > kids & future generations to know their relatives. the kids are out-
          > of town and never see the memories. i've gone to Best Buy and looked
          > at their scanners, but I'm not a technology buff and I'm sure it
          > would take anyone months of their free time to do this on one of
          > those slow flatbed scanners. i can't take out that kind of time.
          >
          > I looked online a bit for some services. i only found one that
          > actually scans photo albums - The Digital Convert (
          > www.thedigitalconvert.com ). They actually have excellent prices and
          > say they can finish in just a few days, but i was wondering if anyone
          > here has used them.
          >
          > All the other places say you have to take all the pictures out.
          > That's insane! Our pictures are stuck to the pages with notes. We're
          > not gonna destroy our albums and get all the pictures mixed up.
          >
          > Is this what everybody does with inherited albums? I mean not
          > everybody has room to store their parents' huge collections. And
          > splitting them up doesn't seem like the best idea.

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)