Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Husband's genealogy

  • rwe
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 12, 2008
      Lillian

      Not sure if anyone has responded to your quest or not, but here is a link that I found to some info:

      http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=slhoy&id=I45413

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 13, 2008
        Thanj youfor your information. I'll look into it and let you know.

        Lilian

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 13, 2008
          Hi Barbara

          Thank you for your email.  As far as I know his father has not changed his name legally to Smith.  In his marriage certificate he was listed as Leslie Croft (also known as Smith).  His mother then was always known as Smith and all their 3 children.  Hence the whole current geration are known as Smiths. I only found out recently when my mother-in-law passed on and I found her marriage certificate. Please let me know if it is at all possible to trace the family.

          Regards

          Lilian

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 15, 2008
            Hi Lillian,
            I guess I'm confused as to what you're asking. In your first email,
            I thought you were asking what your children's real last name was. I
            think it would depend on the law of the state where Robert was
            married, where the first use of Croft aka Smith was used. If that
            family wasn't legally Smith, then it may be that their children's
            last name wasn't legally Smith. Or maybe it is because it's on their
            birth certificate. This would be a legal thing that I don't know
            much about, and is probably better pursued through legal aid than
            through genealogy.

            If you're asking if the Croft family can be traced back, if you can
            find ancestors, the answer is yes. If you'd like help here, we'd
            need to know some more names along with approx dates of birth and
            death, where they lived, etc. For example, I looked at the 1930
            census, the last available, and found over 100 listings for a Robert
            Croft. Leslie Croft had 8. All ages, all over the country. So
            anyone helping would need to know when he was born, where he lived,
            wife's name, children's name, parents names, or in Leslie's case, his
            grandmother's full name, any and all info available. It's unlikely
            you'll "run into" another Croft, but people are often willing to look
            something up for others if they have enough specific info to work with.

            Barbara

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 15, 2008
              Hi Barbara

              Thanks again.  I have found out a few more names.  My husband is registered as Robert Wayne Smith born 5/7/1949 in Merewether Newcastle.

              His father was Leslie Croft also known as Smith born 27/6/1921 in Sydney.
              His parents were Arthur Croft born in 1895 who married Elsie May Jobber in 1920.

              Arthur Croft's mother was Elizabeth Croft, father unknown.  Elizabeth Croft married Hercules J Smith in 1905 when Arthur was about 10 years old.  I guess that's where the Smith comes from in my husband's birth certificate.  Elizabeth Croft was Robert's great grand mother and it seems that the Croft name comes from the maternal side and has nothing to do with Hercules Smith. That's where I want to look into.

              I also found Elsie May Jobber's birth registraion in Wolverhampton Staffordshire in Endland.  She was born 1902.

              Maybe this will make it clearer.
              Regards
              Lilian