Re:Husband's genealogy

  • Barbara Sack
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 12, 2008
      Hi Lillian
      You said "Our family now bears the name of Smith but would like to
      know or real name for our children. Please help if you can." Maybe I
      missed something in your explanation, but wouldn't your family's name
      be Croft? If Robert's father hadn't changed his name to Smith, it
      would have been Croft, and thus Robert's would have been Croft.

      Do you know whether Robert's father legally changed his name to
      Smith, or did he just use the name? In some places, if you don't
      legally change your name, then regardless of the name you use, your
      legal name remains the same. Perhaps your family's legal name is still Croft.

      Barbara
    • rwe
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 12, 2008
        Lillian

        Not sure if anyone has responded to your quest or not, but here is a link that I found to some info:

        http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=slhoy&id=I45413

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 13, 2008
          Thanj youfor your information. I'll look into it and let you know.

          Lilian

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 13, 2008
            Hi Barbara

            Thank you for your email.  As far as I know his father has not changed his name legally to Smith.  In his marriage certificate he was listed as Leslie Croft (also known as Smith).  His mother then was always known as Smith and all their 3 children.  Hence the whole current geration are known as Smiths. I only found out recently when my mother-in-law passed on and I found her marriage certificate. Please let me know if it is at all possible to trace the family.

            Regards

            Lilian

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 15, 2008
              Hi Lillian,
              I guess I'm confused as to what you're asking. In your first email,
              I thought you were asking what your children's real last name was. I
              think it would depend on the law of the state where Robert was
              married, where the first use of Croft aka Smith was used. If that
              family wasn't legally Smith, then it may be that their children's
              last name wasn't legally Smith. Or maybe it is because it's on their
              birth certificate. This would be a legal thing that I don't know
              much about, and is probably better pursued through legal aid than
              through genealogy.

              If you're asking if the Croft family can be traced back, if you can
              find ancestors, the answer is yes. If you'd like help here, we'd
              need to know some more names along with approx dates of birth and
              death, where they lived, etc. For example, I looked at the 1930
              census, the last available, and found over 100 listings for a Robert
              Croft. Leslie Croft had 8. All ages, all over the country. So
              anyone helping would need to know when he was born, where he lived,
              wife's name, children's name, parents names, or in Leslie's case, his
              grandmother's full name, any and all info available. It's unlikely
              you'll "run into" another Croft, but people are often willing to look
              something up for others if they have enough specific info to work with.

              Barbara

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 15, 2008
                Hi Barbara

                Thanks again.  I have found out a few more names.  My husband is registered as Robert Wayne Smith born 5/7/1949 in Merewether Newcastle.

                His father was Leslie Croft also known as Smith born 27/6/1921 in Sydney.
                His parents were Arthur Croft born in 1895 who married Elsie May Jobber in 1920.

                Arthur Croft's mother was Elizabeth Croft, father unknown.  Elizabeth Croft married Hercules J Smith in 1905 when Arthur was about 10 years old.  I guess that's where the Smith comes from in my husband's birth certificate.  Elizabeth Croft was Robert's great grand mother and it seems that the Croft name comes from the maternal side and has nothing to do with Hercules Smith. That's where I want to look into.

                I also found Elsie May Jobber's birth registraion in Wolverhampton Staffordshire in Endland.  She was born 1902.

                Maybe this will make it clearer.
                Regards
                Lilian