Re: Land records/deeds

  • KATHRYN
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 8, 2008
      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "xdaysofyouthx"
      <xdaysofyouthx@...> wrote:

      > I am still trying to find out more information about my great
      > grandfathers saloon/hotel that was at 49 s. main in pittston. I may
      > be making a trip back down to the area soon. I wanted to know where
      > land records would be and how far back they go? Here in Buffalo
      there
      > is a basement where deeds go back into the 1800's.
      >
      > I know he owned the saloon in 1888 and we think he owned it until he
      > moved in 1900-1901. Where in Pittston are the land records kept and
      > would I have any luck finding them from the late 1880's?
      >
      > Thanks.

      ----------

      Wyoming Valley Historical & Geological Society
      49 South Franklin Street
      Wilkes-Barre, PA 18701-1290
      (570) 823-6244
      www.whgs.org

      Founded in February 1858, the Society maintains the collective memory
      of Luzerne County and its environs by recording and interpreting the
      history, traditions, events, people, and cultures which have directed
      and molded life within the region. Its collections include
      archaeology, archives, costumes, geology, Indian artifacts, industry,
      military, mineralogy, posters, and textiles.

      Our rich mining heritage is traced through exhibits at the Anthracite
      Museum of Scranton, Eckley Miners Village, the Ashland Anthracite
      Museum and through the work of the Ashley Break Preservation Society.

      The strong role of history in the culture of Luzerne County is
      illustrated in a number of tourist attractions.