Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Re: Land records/deeds

  • Meagan Coggins
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 8, 2008
      Thank you.  I am hoping to get down there again soon.  Hopefully the courthouse has something of interest for me.  Can you give me the Historical Society phone number?  I would also love to find a photo of the business.  I have seen many Main St., Pittston photos from the time but the saloon wasn't in any of them.

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 8, 2008
        <xdaysofyouthx@...> wrote:

        > I am still trying to find out more information about my great
        > grandfathers saloon/hotel that was at 49 s. main in pittston. I may
        > be making a trip back down to the area soon. I wanted to know where
        > land records would be and how far back they go? Here in Buffalo
        there
        > is a basement where deeds go back into the 1800's.
        >
        > I know he owned the saloon in 1888 and we think he owned it until he
        > moved in 1900-1901. Where in Pittston are the land records kept and
        > would I have any luck finding them from the late 1880's?
        >
        > Thanks.

        ----------

        Wyoming Valley Historical & Geological Society
        49 South Franklin Street
        Wilkes-Barre, PA 18701-1290
        (570) 823-6244
        www.whgs.org

        Founded in February 1858, the Society maintains the collective memory
        of Luzerne County and its environs by recording and interpreting the
        history, traditions, events, people, and cultures which have directed
        and molded life within the region. Its collections include
        archaeology, archives, costumes, geology, Indian artifacts, industry,
        military, mineralogy, posters, and textiles.

        Our rich mining heritage is traced through exhibits at the Anthracite
        Museum of Scranton, Eckley Miners Village, the Ashland Anthracite
        Museum and through the work of the Ashley Break Preservation Society.

        The strong role of history in the culture of Luzerne County is
        illustrated in a number of tourist attractions.