Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Re: Land records/deeds

  • Chris sparks
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 6, 2008
      http://politicalgraveyard.com/geo/PA/LU.html

      http://www.epodunk.com/cgi-bin/genInfo.php?locIndex=14674

      http://www.city-data.com/forum/northeastern-pennsylvania/349547-luzerne-county-tourist-haven.html

      --- On Mon, 10/6/08, Sharon <smgorohoff@...> wrote:

      From: Sharon <smgorohoff@...>
      Subject: [Genealogy Research Club] Re: Land records/deeds
      To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, October 6, 2008, 1:03 PM

      > I am still trying to find out more information about my great
      > grandfathers saloon/hotel that was at 49 s. main in pittston. > I
      know he owned the saloon in 1888 and we think he owned it until he
      > moved in 1900-1901. Where in Pittston are the land records kept and
      > would I have any luck finding them from the late 1880's?
      >
      > Thanks.
      >

      > Your best bet would be to check the county courthouse.. .
      Luzerne County Courthouse
      200 North River Street
      Wilkes Barre, PA 18711
      Telephone: (570) 825-1641
      Fax: (570) 970-4580

      Other than that - you might check with the local historical society
      nearest Pittston, in Luzerne County, to see if they have any
      information about the property.

      Good luck...

    • cairann
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 7, 2008
        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "xdaysofyouthx"
        <xdaysofyouthx@...> wrote:

        > I am still trying to find out more information about my great
        > grandfathers saloon/hotel that was at 49 s. main in pittston. I may
        > be making a trip back down to the area soon. I wanted to know where
        > land records would be and how far back they go? Here in Buffalo there
        > is a basement where deeds go back into the 1800's.
        >
        > I know he owned the saloon in 1888 and we think he owned it until he
        > moved in 1900-1901. Where in Pittston are the land records kept and
        > would I have any luck finding them from the late 1880's?
        >
        > Thanks.

        Would that be Pittson, Pa? If so, Wilkes-Barre is the county seat of
        Luzerne county and the CourtHouse is straight down River St from
        Pittston, all deeds and records are kept there, Wilkes-Barre also has
        a great Historical Society and a Genealogical Library run by the NEPA
        Genealogical Society contact me by e-mail and I will give you the
        telephone number if you are interested. The Library is also a center
        for LDS microfilm records
      • Meagan Coggins
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 8, 2008
          Thank you.  I am hoping to get down there again soon.  Hopefully the courthouse has something of interest for me.  Can you give me the Historical Society phone number?  I would also love to find a photo of the business.  I have seen many Main St., Pittston photos from the time but the saloon wasn't in any of them.

          > I am still trying to find out more information about my great

          > grandfathers saloon/hotel that was at 49 s. main in pittston. I may

          > be making a trip back down to the area soon. I wanted to know where

          > land records would be and how far back they go? Here in Buffalo there

          > is a basement where deeds go back into the 1800's.

          > I know he owned the saloon in 1888 and we think he owned it until he

          > moved in 1900-1901. Where in Pittston are the land records kept and

          > would I have any luck finding them from the late 1880's?

          > Thanks.

          Would that be Pittson, Pa? If so, Wilkes-Barre is the county seat of

          Luzerne county and the CourtHouse is straight down River St from

          Pittston, all deeds and records are kept there, Wilkes-Barre also has

          a great Historical Society and a Genealogical Library run by the NEPA

          Genealogical Society contact me by e-mail and I will give you the

          telephone number if you are interested. The Library is also a center

          for LDS microfilm records

        • KATHRYN
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 8, 2008
            <xdaysofyouthx@...> wrote:

            > I am still trying to find out more information about my great
            > grandfathers saloon/hotel that was at 49 s. main in pittston. I may
            > be making a trip back down to the area soon. I wanted to know where
            > land records would be and how far back they go? Here in Buffalo
            there
            > is a basement where deeds go back into the 1800's.
            >
            > I know he owned the saloon in 1888 and we think he owned it until he
            > moved in 1900-1901. Where in Pittston are the land records kept and
            > would I have any luck finding them from the late 1880's?
            >
            > Thanks.

            ----------

            Wyoming Valley Historical & Geological Society
            49 South Franklin Street
            Wilkes-Barre, PA 18701-1290
            (570) 823-6244
            www.whgs.org

            Founded in February 1858, the Society maintains the collective memory
            of Luzerne County and its environs by recording and interpreting the
            history, traditions, events, people, and cultures which have directed
            and molded life within the region. Its collections include
            archaeology, archives, costumes, geology, Indian artifacts, industry,
            military, mineralogy, posters, and textiles.

            Our rich mining heritage is traced through exhibits at the Anthracite
            Museum of Scranton, Eckley Miners Village, the Ashland Anthracite
            Museum and through the work of the Ashley Break Preservation Society.

            The strong role of history in the culture of Luzerne County is
            illustrated in a number of tourist attractions.