Re: Land records/deeds

  • Sharon
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 6, 2008

      > I am still trying to find out more information about my great
      > grandfathers saloon/hotel that was at 49 s. main in pittston. > I
      know he owned the saloon in 1888 and we think he owned it until he
      > moved in 1900-1901. Where in Pittston are the land records kept and
      > would I have any luck finding them from the late 1880's?
      >
      > Thanks.
      >

      > Your best bet would be to check the county courthouse...
      Luzerne County Courthouse
      200 North River Street
      Wilkes Barre, PA 18711
      Telephone: (570) 825-1641
      Fax: (570) 970-4580

      Other than that - you might check with the local historical society
      nearest Pittston, in Luzerne County, to see if they have any
      information about the property.

      Good luck...
    • Chris sparks
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 6, 2008
        http://politicalgraveyard.com/geo/PA/LU.html

        http://www.epodunk.com/cgi-bin/genInfo.php?locIndex=14674

        http://www.city-data.com/forum/northeastern-pennsylvania/349547-luzerne-county-tourist-haven.html

        > I am still trying to find out more information about my great
        > grandfathers saloon/hotel that was at 49 s. main in pittston. > I
        know he owned the saloon in 1888 and we think he owned it until he
        > moved in 1900-1901. Where in Pittston are the land records kept and
        > would I have any luck finding them from the late 1880's?
        >
        > Thanks.
        >

        > Your best bet would be to check the county courthouse.. .
        Luzerne County Courthouse
        200 North River Street
        Wilkes Barre, PA 18711
        Telephone: (570) 825-1641
        Fax: (570) 970-4580

        Other than that - you might check with the local historical society
        nearest Pittston, in Luzerne County, to see if they have any
        information about the property.

        Good luck...

      • cairann
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 7, 2008
          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "xdaysofyouthx"
          <xdaysofyouthx@...> wrote:

          > I am still trying to find out more information about my great
          > grandfathers saloon/hotel that was at 49 s. main in pittston. I may
          > be making a trip back down to the area soon. I wanted to know where
          > land records would be and how far back they go? Here in Buffalo there
          > is a basement where deeds go back into the 1800's.
          >
          > I know he owned the saloon in 1888 and we think he owned it until he
          > moved in 1900-1901. Where in Pittston are the land records kept and
          > would I have any luck finding them from the late 1880's?
          >
          > Thanks.

          Would that be Pittson, Pa? If so, Wilkes-Barre is the county seat of
          Luzerne county and the CourtHouse is straight down River St from
          Pittston, all deeds and records are kept there, Wilkes-Barre also has
          a great Historical Society and a Genealogical Library run by the NEPA
          Genealogical Society contact me by e-mail and I will give you the
          telephone number if you are interested. The Library is also a center
          for LDS microfilm records
        • Meagan Coggins
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 8, 2008
            Thank you.  I am hoping to get down there again soon.  Hopefully the courthouse has something of interest for me.  Can you give me the Historical Society phone number?  I would also love to find a photo of the business.  I have seen many Main St., Pittston photos from the time but the saloon wasn't in any of them.

            > I am still trying to find out more information about my great

            > grandfathers saloon/hotel that was at 49 s. main in pittston. I may

            > be making a trip back down to the area soon. I wanted to know where

            > land records would be and how far back they go? Here in Buffalo there

            > is a basement where deeds go back into the 1800's.

            > I know he owned the saloon in 1888 and we think he owned it until he

            > moved in 1900-1901. Where in Pittston are the land records kept and

            > would I have any luck finding them from the late 1880's?

            > Thanks.

            Would that be Pittson, Pa? If so, Wilkes-Barre is the county seat of

            Luzerne county and the CourtHouse is straight down River St from

            Pittston, all deeds and records are kept there, Wilkes-Barre also has

            a great Historical Society and a Genealogical Library run by the NEPA

            Genealogical Society contact me by e-mail and I will give you the

            telephone number if you are interested. The Library is also a center

            for LDS microfilm records

          • KATHRYN
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 8, 2008
              <xdaysofyouthx@...> wrote:

              > I am still trying to find out more information about my great
              > grandfathers saloon/hotel that was at 49 s. main in pittston. I may
              > be making a trip back down to the area soon. I wanted to know where
              > land records would be and how far back they go? Here in Buffalo
              there
              > is a basement where deeds go back into the 1800's.
              >
              > I know he owned the saloon in 1888 and we think he owned it until he
              > moved in 1900-1901. Where in Pittston are the land records kept and
              > would I have any luck finding them from the late 1880's?
              >
              > Thanks.

              ----------

              Wyoming Valley Historical & Geological Society
              49 South Franklin Street
              Wilkes-Barre, PA 18701-1290
              (570) 823-6244
              www.whgs.org

              Founded in February 1858, the Society maintains the collective memory
              of Luzerne County and its environs by recording and interpreting the
              history, traditions, events, people, and cultures which have directed
              and molded life within the region. Its collections include
              archaeology, archives, costumes, geology, Indian artifacts, industry,
              military, mineralogy, posters, and textiles.

              Our rich mining heritage is traced through exhibits at the Anthracite
              Museum of Scranton, Eckley Miners Village, the Ashland Anthracite
              Museum and through the work of the Ashley Break Preservation Society.

              The strong role of history in the culture of Luzerne County is
              illustrated in a number of tourist attractions.