Land records/deeds

  • xdaysofyouthx
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 5, 2008
      I am still trying to find out more information about my great
      grandfathers saloon/hotel that was at 49 s. main in pittston. I may
      be making a trip back down to the area soon. I wanted to know where
      land records would be and how far back they go? Here in Buffalo there
      is a basement where deeds go back into the 1800's.

      I know he owned the saloon in 1888 and we think he owned it until he
      moved in 1900-1901. Where in Pittston are the land records kept and
      would I have any luck finding them from the late 1880's?

      Thanks.
    • Mary E. Conley
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 5, 2008
        What county and state is pittston located in?

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 5, 2008
          I meant to send this to the Luzerne County gen. group, sorry. But if
          anyone can help, I am referring to Pittston, Pennsylvania.

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "xdaysofyouthx"
          <xdaysofyouthx@...> wrote:

          > I am still trying to find out more information about my great
          > grandfathers saloon/hotel that was at 49 s. main in pittston. I may
          > be making a trip back down to the area soon. I wanted to know where
          > land records would be and how far back they go? Here in Buffalo there
          > is a basement where deeds go back into the 1800's.
          >
          > I know he owned the saloon in 1888 and we think he owned it until he
          > moved in 1900-1901. Where in Pittston are the land records kept and
          > would I have any luck finding them from the late 1880's?
          >
          > Thanks.

        • Sharon
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 6, 2008

            > I am still trying to find out more information about my great
            > grandfathers saloon/hotel that was at 49 s. main in pittston. > I
            know he owned the saloon in 1888 and we think he owned it until he
            > moved in 1900-1901. Where in Pittston are the land records kept and
            > would I have any luck finding them from the late 1880's?
            >
            > Thanks.
            >

            > Your best bet would be to check the county courthouse...
            Luzerne County Courthouse
            200 North River Street
            Wilkes Barre, PA 18711
            Telephone: (570) 825-1641
            Fax: (570) 970-4580

            Other than that - you might check with the local historical society
            nearest Pittston, in Luzerne County, to see if they have any
            information about the property.

            Good luck...
          • Chris sparks
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 6, 2008
              http://politicalgraveyard.com/geo/PA/LU.html

              http://www.epodunk.com/cgi-bin/genInfo.php?locIndex=14674

              http://www.city-data.com/forum/northeastern-pennsylvania/349547-luzerne-county-tourist-haven.html

              > I am still trying to find out more information about my great
              > grandfathers saloon/hotel that was at 49 s. main in pittston. > I
              know he owned the saloon in 1888 and we think he owned it until he
              > moved in 1900-1901. Where in Pittston are the land records kept and
              > would I have any luck finding them from the late 1880's?
              >
              > Thanks.
              >

              > Your best bet would be to check the county courthouse.. .
              Luzerne County Courthouse
              200 North River Street
              Wilkes Barre, PA 18711
              Telephone: (570) 825-1641
              Fax: (570) 970-4580

              Other than that - you might check with the local historical society
              nearest Pittston, in Luzerne County, to see if they have any
              information about the property.

              Good luck...

            • cairann
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 7, 2008
                <xdaysofyouthx@...> wrote:

                > I am still trying to find out more information about my great
                > grandfathers saloon/hotel that was at 49 s. main in pittston. I may
                > be making a trip back down to the area soon. I wanted to know where
                > land records would be and how far back they go? Here in Buffalo there
                > is a basement where deeds go back into the 1800's.
                >
                > I know he owned the saloon in 1888 and we think he owned it until he
                > moved in 1900-1901. Where in Pittston are the land records kept and
                > would I have any luck finding them from the late 1880's?
                >
                > Thanks.

                Would that be Pittson, Pa? If so, Wilkes-Barre is the county seat of
                Luzerne county and the CourtHouse is straight down River St from
                Pittston, all deeds and records are kept there, Wilkes-Barre also has
                a great Historical Society and a Genealogical Library run by the NEPA
                Genealogical Society contact me by e-mail and I will give you the
                telephone number if you are interested. The Library is also a center
                for LDS microfilm records
              • Meagan Coggins
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 8, 2008
                  Thank you.  I am hoping to get down there again soon.  Hopefully the courthouse has something of interest for me.  Can you give me the Historical Society phone number?  I would also love to find a photo of the business.  I have seen many Main St., Pittston photos from the time but the saloon wasn't in any of them.

                  > I am still trying to find out more information about my great

                  > grandfathers saloon/hotel that was at 49 s. main in pittston. I may

                  > be making a trip back down to the area soon. I wanted to know where

                  > land records would be and how far back they go? Here in Buffalo there

                  > is a basement where deeds go back into the 1800's.

                  > I know he owned the saloon in 1888 and we think he owned it until he

                  > moved in 1900-1901. Where in Pittston are the land records kept and

                  > would I have any luck finding them from the late 1880's?

                  > Thanks.

                  Would that be Pittson, Pa? If so, Wilkes-Barre is the county seat of

                  Luzerne county and the CourtHouse is straight down River St from

                  Pittston, all deeds and records are kept there, Wilkes-Barre also has

                  a great Historical Society and a Genealogical Library run by the NEPA

                  Genealogical Society contact me by e-mail and I will give you the

                  telephone number if you are interested. The Library is also a center

                  for LDS microfilm records

                • KATHRYN
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 8, 2008
                    <xdaysofyouthx@...> wrote:

                    > I am still trying to find out more information about my great
                    > grandfathers saloon/hotel that was at 49 s. main in pittston. I may
                    > be making a trip back down to the area soon. I wanted to know where
                    > land records would be and how far back they go? Here in Buffalo
                    there
                    > is a basement where deeds go back into the 1800's.
                    >
                    > I know he owned the saloon in 1888 and we think he owned it until he
                    > moved in 1900-1901. Where in Pittston are the land records kept and
                    > would I have any luck finding them from the late 1880's?
                    >
                    > Thanks.

                    ----------

                    Wyoming Valley Historical & Geological Society
                    49 South Franklin Street
                    Wilkes-Barre, PA 18701-1290
                    (570) 823-6244
                    www.whgs.org

                    Founded in February 1858, the Society maintains the collective memory
                    of Luzerne County and its environs by recording and interpreting the
                    history, traditions, events, people, and cultures which have directed
                    and molded life within the region. Its collections include
                    archaeology, archives, costumes, geology, Indian artifacts, industry,
                    military, mineralogy, posters, and textiles.

                    Our rich mining heritage is traced through exhibits at the Anthracite
                    Museum of Scranton, Eckley Miners Village, the Ashland Anthracite
                    Museum and through the work of the Ashley Break Preservation Society.

                    The strong role of history in the culture of Luzerne County is
                    illustrated in a number of tourist attractions.