Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Re: Just joined - HELP!!! - Update regarding Family Search websites

  • Mechelle Wallace
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 4, 2008
      Thank you for taking the time to post these. I have ran out of resources, and am still looking
      at a wall. Unfortunately, I can't afford Ancestry right now.

      Mechelle

      From: circa_1948 <circa_1948@hotmail. com>
      Subject: Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Just joined - HELP!!!
      To: genealogyresearchcl ub@yahoogroups. com
      Date: Sunday, August 31, 2008, 12:50 PM

      actually there are three....

      The FamilySearch LABS is the site that has death
      certificates to download. That link is http://labs. familysearch. org/

      The new http://www.familyse arch.org/ is the members only site.
      (For now - since it is still working out the bugs - eventually it will be available to all.)

      There is also the original familysearch org which anybody can access, but it is just data others have
      contributed, plus some stuff the LDS church put on there (no certificates) ..

      Sunny IBSSG

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 5, 2008
        Mechelle,

        The web sites shown below are FREE give them a try and see what you can find.  Looks like you will have to copy and past the URL's, a small price to pay if you find information.  Also have you tried www.Rootsweb.com or even doing a Google or Dogpile search for the names - I've found many free pages this way and with significant links that provide places to start.

        Good Luck, Mary

        At 02:06 PM 8/29/2008, you wrote:

        >you might try the mormon church and their website ( I think it is
        >www.lds.org) and the best part is its free

      • Mechelle Wallace
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 6, 2008
          Thanks again Mary. Yes I have tried Rootsweb and World Connect, all the family trees
          stop when they reach this person. I have used Heritage Quest to search the census.
          I am just not ready to accept that I may never find this information. He was the first family member born in America (as far as I know), and I don't want his history to be lost.
          I have reached the conclusion that the only way I might find some new info, is a
          search of the Church records in PA. for his birth. There have been people before me that have tried and given up.

          At 02:06 PM 8/29/2008, you wrote:

          >you might try the mormon church and their website ( I think it is
          >www.lds.org) and the best part is its free

        • Tina Stedman
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 6, 2008
            Don't give up! I had been searching for one particular line of my
            husband's family for about 5 years and couldn't find them. I knew
            they were there but no luck. Then one day I got a surprise email and
            there they were!!

            Another family side had been searching for a great grandfather that
            had abandoned the family. Just a random search found his death record
            in California. It led to cousins we never knew!!

            So don't give up. Eventually the answers will come!!

            Tina

            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Mechelle Wallace
            <mechelle.wallace@...> wrote:

            > Thanks again Mary. Yes I have tried Rootsweb and World Connect, all
            the family trees
            > stop when they reach this person. I have used Heritage Quest to
            search the census.
            > I am just not ready to accept that I may never find this
            information. He was the first family member born in America (as far as
            I know), and I don't want his history to be lost.
            > I have reached the conclusion that the only way I might find some
            new info, is a
            > search of the Church records in PA. for his birth. There have been
            people before me that have tried and given up.

            > Mechelle

          • mazerov
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 6, 2008
              Mechelle,

              I haven't been following this thread completely but a quick look on Ancestry
              I found a couple of things - I am assuming you found the 1910 census in
              Louisville. I just entered Isadore and dropped the first name Edward and
              put in Isadore Levin birthdate 1900 Louisville, KY and came up with the tree
              with Samuel Levin and Fanny Kaplan and the 1910 census where Samuel is
              listed as Som L Levin and is Jewish and born in Russia. If this is him,
              then have you tried JewishGen?

              Connie

              _____

              From: Mary E. Conley <jonesfamily1952@ <mailto:jonesfamily1952%40yahoo.com>
              yahoo.com>
              regarding Family Search websites
              To: genealogyresearchcl <mailto:genealogyresearchclub%40yahoogroups.com>
              ub@yahoogroups.com

              At 02:06 PM 8/29/2008, you wrote:

              >you might try the mormon church and their website ( I think it is
              >www.lds.org) and the best part is its free

            • Mechelle Wallace
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 6, 2008
                Hi Connie,

                I think that your message was meant for someone else, I am searching for Joseph
                Cunningham~Irish.

                Best Regards,

                From: Mary E. Conley <jonesfamily1952@ <mailto:jonesfamily 1952%40yahoo. com>
                yahoo.com>