Re: Sacred Heart Catholic Church: GoogleMap

  • Tom Knox
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 4, 2008
      > Regarding the church, I went to google maps and put in 46th and
      > Wolcott, Chicago,

      I put "4600 S Chicago, Chicago, IL" into GoogleMaps,
      and then did a Level-3 or 4 zoom (where Level-1 is "closest").
      I'll bet that the one-square-block empty lot is where
      the church USED to be!

      http://tinyurl.com/5h67rx
      http://maps.google.com/maps?
      num=50&hl=en&safe=off&q=4600+s+wolcott,+chicago,+il&ie=UTF8&ll=41.8110
      2,-87.673495&spn=0.005902,0.016158&t=h&z=16

      - Tom Knox IBSSG

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Sack
      <bsack@...> wrote:

      > My goodness, Nellie's still with us! I see she was the youngest
      > child on the 1930 census. It's possible that the spelling starting
      > with G is right but it's also possible the family just gave in and
      > accepted the spelling given to them by some govt entity, such as
      > immigration. That happened to a lot of families that had names
      > English-speakers found too hard to spell and/or pronounce. Does
      > Nellie (er, Angie Miedl) still have her birth cert, and can you
      talk
      > her into letting you see it? I detect a bit of "attitude" there
      with
      > Aunt Nellie - love it! Don't know that Nell/Nellie was ever short
      > for Angela but maybe. Or maybe a middle name?
      >
      > As for the Hungary/Poland question, the way history changed the
      face
      > of Europe so many times, it's entirely possible they were Polish,
      > from what is now Poland, but was part of the (very large) Hungarian
      > empire when they were born there. If my recollection of history is
      > right, that large empire lasted until WWI.
      >
      > Do you want the images of the census for 1910 (Anna) and the family
      > in 1930, or do you already have them. They do have more info than
      > what I could give here. I'll need to send them as attachments
      directly to you.

      > Regarding the church, I went to google maps and put in 46th and
      > Wolcott, Chicago, and found a couple of churches two blocks away at
      > 46th and Wood. You can go there, put it on satellite, then ask for
      > street view and actually look at the buildings by moving the little
      > man-icon around on the blue line (you'll see what I mean when you
      get there).
      > Barbara

    • claire frustine
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 4, 2008
        Hello folk's just logged in for a quick view(busy, busy) I looked at the street view on Wolcott and the north west corner is a empty lot and the south east conner is a school of some sort
        Hispantic I believe, Very large but alas no church it's been taken down after only 80 years that seem's like a baby church for this area I would have thought most churches would have stood hundreds of years?? So it's off to the Archdiocese of Chicago ,I'll write to them and hopefully find some records once again I can't thank all members who were so very helpful to me enought !!! God Bless you all!!     Claire I Frustine  ;O)