Re: Just joined - HELP!!! - Update regarding Family Search websites

  • Mary E. Conley
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 2, 2008
      Actually there are

      1. New - currently members only, it is expected to be opened to everyone after worldwide rollout to members - website:  https://new.familysearch.org/

      2. Original - anyone can access:  http://www.familysearch.org

      3. Labs - Current Projects - links to other sites:  http://labs.familysearch.org/

        a. Record Search - records indexed by volunteers:  http://pilot.familysearch.org

        b. Family Tree - share and collaborate family history - requires user name and password from NewFamilySearch:  http://labs.familysearch.org/familytree/#start

        c. Standard Finder:  With Standard Finder you can search for a standardized name, date or place based on your input. The Standard Finder will present the standards that will be used in future releases of new FamilySearch. Come and try out your historical and current entries and understand how the system will interpret your input. Use filtered results to see what we think the best match would be or uncheck filtered results to see all the possible standards. Then send us feedback on how the system can do better.  Added 27 Nov 2007. Find out more on the Labs blog :  http://204.9.231.95/stdfinder/NameStandardLookup.jsp

        d. Research Wiki - FamilySearch Wiki is a large, on-line library where you can find thousands of articles and how-to instructions about doing family history.  https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Main_Page

        e. Family Serch Indexing - Volunteers extract family history information from digital images of historical documents to create indexes that assist everyone in finding their ancestors:  http://www.familysearchindexing.org

      Hope this helps everyone.  Mary

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 4, 2008
        Thank you for taking the time to post these. I have ran out of resources, and am still looking
        at a wall. Unfortunately, I can't afford Ancestry right now.

        Mechelle

        At 02:06 PM 8/29/2008, you wrote:

        >you might try the mormon church and their website ( I think it is
        >www.lds.org) and the best part is its free

      • Mary E. Conley
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 5, 2008
          Mechelle,

          The web sites shown below are FREE give them a try and see what you can find.  Looks like you will have to copy and past the URL's, a small price to pay if you find information.  Also have you tried www.Rootsweb.com or even doing a Google or Dogpile search for the names - I've found many free pages this way and with significant links that provide places to start.

          Good Luck, Mary

          At 02:06 PM 8/29/2008, you wrote:

          >you might try the mormon church and their website ( I think it is
          >www.lds.org) and the best part is its free

        • Mechelle Wallace
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 6, 2008
            Thanks again Mary. Yes I have tried Rootsweb and World Connect, all the family trees
            stop when they reach this person. I have used Heritage Quest to search the census.
            I am just not ready to accept that I may never find this information. He was the first family member born in America (as far as I know), and I don't want his history to be lost.
            I have reached the conclusion that the only way I might find some new info, is a
            search of the Church records in PA. for his birth. There have been people before me that have tried and given up.

            At 02:06 PM 8/29/2008, you wrote:

            >you might try the mormon church and their website ( I think it is
            >www.lds.org) and the best part is its free

          • Tina Stedman
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 6, 2008
              Don't give up! I had been searching for one particular line of my
              husband's family for about 5 years and couldn't find them. I knew
              they were there but no luck. Then one day I got a surprise email and
              there they were!!

              Another family side had been searching for a great grandfather that
              had abandoned the family. Just a random search found his death record
              in California. It led to cousins we never knew!!

              So don't give up. Eventually the answers will come!!

              Tina

              --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Mechelle Wallace
              <mechelle.wallace@...> wrote:

              > Thanks again Mary. Yes I have tried Rootsweb and World Connect, all
              the family trees
              > stop when they reach this person. I have used Heritage Quest to
              search the census.
              > I am just not ready to accept that I may never find this
              information. He was the first family member born in America (as far as
              I know), and I don't want his history to be lost.
              > I have reached the conclusion that the only way I might find some
              new info, is a
              > search of the Church records in PA. for his birth. There have been
              people before me that have tried and given up.

              > Mechelle

            • mazerov
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 6, 2008
                Mechelle,

                I haven't been following this thread completely but a quick look on Ancestry
                I found a couple of things - I am assuming you found the 1910 census in
                Louisville. I just entered Isadore and dropped the first name Edward and
                put in Isadore Levin birthdate 1900 Louisville, KY and came up with the tree
                with Samuel Levin and Fanny Kaplan and the 1910 census where Samuel is
                listed as Som L Levin and is Jewish and born in Russia. If this is him,
                then have you tried JewishGen?

                Connie

                _____

                From: Mary E. Conley <jonesfamily1952@ <mailto:jonesfamily1952%40yahoo.com>
                yahoo.com>
                regarding Family Search websites
                To: genealogyresearchcl <mailto:genealogyresearchclub%40yahoogroups.com>
                ub@yahoogroups.com

                At 02:06 PM 8/29/2008, you wrote:

                >you might try the mormon church and their website ( I think it is
                >www.lds.org) and the best part is its free

              • Mechelle Wallace
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 6, 2008
                  Hi Connie,

                  I think that your message was meant for someone else, I am searching for Joseph
                  Cunningham~Irish.

                  Best Regards,

                  From: Mary E. Conley <jonesfamily1952@ <mailto:jonesfamily 1952%40yahoo. com>
                  yahoo.com>