Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Sacred Heart Catholic Church

  • claire frustine
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 3, 2008
      I'd love a copy of the family census from 1910 Anna told Nellie that she was 4years old when she arrived in the USA in 1905, She has a younger brother Charles Shimala still living in Whiting Indiana his wife Alice died after grandmother but before Mom ? great Unkle Chuck will tell you he's just a old Slovak if asked, HE HAS TO BE 97+ ABOUT NOW HAVEN'T SEEN HIM IN 6 YEARS OR MORE ;O( WE STILL SEND CHRISTMAS CARDS
      I hope to speak with him soon or his daughter if I can locate her it's been many years
       thanks and God Bless, Claire
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 4, 2008
        > Regarding the church, I went to google maps and put in 46th and
        > Wolcott, Chicago,

        I put "4600 S Chicago, Chicago, IL" into GoogleMaps,
        and then did a Level-3 or 4 zoom (where Level-1 is "closest").
        I'll bet that the one-square-block empty lot is where
        the church USED to be!

        http://tinyurl.com/5h67rx
        http://maps.google.com/maps?
        num=50&hl=en&safe=off&q=4600+s+wolcott,+chicago,+il&ie=UTF8&ll=41.8110
        2,-87.673495&spn=0.005902,0.016158&t=h&z=16

        - Tom Knox IBSSG

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Sack
        <bsack@...> wrote:

        > My goodness, Nellie's still with us! I see she was the youngest
        > child on the 1930 census. It's possible that the spelling starting
        > with G is right but it's also possible the family just gave in and
        > accepted the spelling given to them by some govt entity, such as
        > immigration. That happened to a lot of families that had names
        > English-speakers found too hard to spell and/or pronounce. Does
        > Nellie (er, Angie Miedl) still have her birth cert, and can you
        talk
        > her into letting you see it? I detect a bit of "attitude" there
        with
        > Aunt Nellie - love it! Don't know that Nell/Nellie was ever short
        > for Angela but maybe. Or maybe a middle name?
        >
        > As for the Hungary/Poland question, the way history changed the
        face
        > of Europe so many times, it's entirely possible they were Polish,
        > from what is now Poland, but was part of the (very large) Hungarian
        > empire when they were born there. If my recollection of history is
        > right, that large empire lasted until WWI.
        >
        > Do you want the images of the census for 1910 (Anna) and the family
        > in 1930, or do you already have them. They do have more info than
        > what I could give here. I'll need to send them as attachments
        directly to you.

        > Regarding the church, I went to google maps and put in 46th and
        > Wolcott, Chicago, and found a couple of churches two blocks away at
        > 46th and Wood. You can go there, put it on satellite, then ask for
        > street view and actually look at the buildings by moving the little
        > man-icon around on the blue line (you'll see what I mean when you
        get there).
        > Barbara

      • claire frustine
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 4, 2008
          Hello folk's just logged in for a quick view(busy, busy) I looked at the street view on Wolcott and the north west corner is a empty lot and the south east conner is a school of some sort
          Hispantic I believe, Very large but alas no church it's been taken down after only 80 years that seem's like a baby church for this area I would have thought most churches would have stood hundreds of years?? So it's off to the Archdiocese of Chicago ,I'll write to them and hopefully find some records once again I can't thank all members who were so very helpful to me enought !!! God Bless you all!!     Claire I Frustine  ;O)