Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Re: Sacred Heart Catholic Church - Chicago, IL

  • Barbara Sack
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 3 2:31 PM
      Wow! What a lot of great sources, Tom. You certainly earn your
      bloodhound nickname. <g>
      Barbara

    • claire frustine
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 3 3:25 PM
         Now this was fun I have been reading about the old neighborhood grandfather worked in the stock yards and the last place grandmother lived was 44th and Richmond katy corner from Five Holy Marters on Pope John Paul St " AKA:43rd" So I guess I need to notify the archives to find family information I'll bet the family was baptised there also worth a check!!
        thank's again Barbara and Tom the Bloodhound ;o)  blessings, Claire

        Tom Knox wrote:

> [...]
        >from Sacred Heart Church at 46th and Wolcott Ave. in Chicago where he
        >had been associate pastor since 1970. "
        ><http://www.pgsa.org/ArchChiPolPar/HolyRoseNChi%20.htm>http://www.pgsa.org/ArchChiPolPar/HolyRoseNChi%20.htm
        >*** WOW!
        >Looks like Sacred Heart Church *is* (or was) at 46th & Wolcott!!
        >
        >The USA Church Directory (for Chicago,IL)
        ><http://www.churches-in.com/illinois/Chicago/>http://www.churches-in.com/illinois/Chicago/
        >
        >** Looks like the Sacred Heart Church at 46th & Wolcott
        >might be closed.
        >
        >Chicago Closed Parishes (several Sacred Heart parishes!)
        ><http://www.italianancestry.com/chgclosed.html>http://www.italianancestry.com/chgclosed.html
        >
        >GoogleBook results -
        <http://tinyurl.com/6o2duj>http://tinyurl.com/6o2duj
        >(gives some history of Sacred Heart at 46th & Wolcott)

      • claire frustine
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 3 3:42 PM
          I'd love a copy of the family census from 1910 Anna told Nellie that she was 4years old when she arrived in the USA in 1905, She has a younger brother Charles Shimala still living in Whiting Indiana his wife Alice died after grandmother but before Mom ? great Unkle Chuck will tell you he's just a old Slovak if asked, HE HAS TO BE 97+ ABOUT NOW HAVEN'T SEEN HIM IN 6 YEARS OR MORE ;O( WE STILL SEND CHRISTMAS CARDS
          I hope to speak with him soon or his daughter if I can locate her it's been many years
           thanks and God Bless, Claire
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 4 9:26 AM
            > Regarding the church, I went to google maps and put in 46th and
            > Wolcott, Chicago,

            I put "4600 S Chicago, Chicago, IL" into GoogleMaps,
            and then did a Level-3 or 4 zoom (where Level-1 is "closest").
            I'll bet that the one-square-block empty lot is where
            the church USED to be!

            http://tinyurl.com/5h67rx
            http://maps.google.com/maps?
            num=50&hl=en&safe=off&q=4600+s+wolcott,+chicago,+il&ie=UTF8&ll=41.8110
            2,-87.673495&spn=0.005902,0.016158&t=h&z=16

            - Tom Knox IBSSG

            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Sack
            <bsack@...> wrote:

            > My goodness, Nellie's still with us! I see she was the youngest
            > child on the 1930 census. It's possible that the spelling starting
            > with G is right but it's also possible the family just gave in and
            > accepted the spelling given to them by some govt entity, such as
            > immigration. That happened to a lot of families that had names
            > English-speakers found too hard to spell and/or pronounce. Does
            > Nellie (er, Angie Miedl) still have her birth cert, and can you
            talk
            > her into letting you see it? I detect a bit of "attitude" there
            with
            > Aunt Nellie - love it! Don't know that Nell/Nellie was ever short
            > for Angela but maybe. Or maybe a middle name?
            >
            > As for the Hungary/Poland question, the way history changed the
            face
            > of Europe so many times, it's entirely possible they were Polish,
            > from what is now Poland, but was part of the (very large) Hungarian
            > empire when they were born there. If my recollection of history is
            > right, that large empire lasted until WWI.
            >
            > Do you want the images of the census for 1910 (Anna) and the family
            > in 1930, or do you already have them. They do have more info than
            > what I could give here. I'll need to send them as attachments
            directly to you.

            > Regarding the church, I went to google maps and put in 46th and
            > Wolcott, Chicago, and found a couple of churches two blocks away at
            > 46th and Wood. You can go there, put it on satellite, then ask for
            > street view and actually look at the buildings by moving the little
            > man-icon around on the blue line (you'll see what I mean when you
            get there).
            > Barbara

          • claire frustine
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 4 10:48 AM
              Hello folk's just logged in for a quick view(busy, busy) I looked at the street view on Wolcott and the north west corner is a empty lot and the south east conner is a school of some sort
              Hispantic I believe, Very large but alas no church it's been taken down after only 80 years that seem's like a baby church for this area I would have thought most churches would have stood hundreds of years?? So it's off to the Archdiocese of Chicago ,I'll write to them and hopefully find some records once again I can't thank all members who were so very helpful to me enought !!! God Bless you all!!     Claire I Frustine  ;O)