Re: Sacred Heart Catholic Church - Chicago, IL

  • Tom Knox
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 3, 2008
      Claire -

      Some resources -

      The Genealogical Holdings of
      the Polish Museum of America (Chicago,IL)
      (http://www.pgsa.org/PMALib.pdf) PDF file

      City of Chicago Polish Parishes (1915)
      http://www.pgsa.org/chicparish.htm
      Marriage Index for Polish Parishes in Chicago through 1915
      http://www.pgsa.org/chicmarintro.htm

      Poles in Chicago
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poles_in_Chicago
      search for SACRED HEART --> Sercanowo: "Back of the Yard"
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_of_the_Yards#Back_of_the_Yards
      Gives a GPS-lat/long for the neighborhood which is in the vicinity of
      4600 S Wolcott (both are near W 47th St & S Ashland Ave).
      *** This sounds like the right church in the right neighborhood.

      *** It looks like this is a *different* "Sacred Heart" than the one
      in the Wikipedia article (which is Croatian, and located at 2864 E
      96th St) which appears to be approx. 13 miles away from "4600 S
      Wolcott".

      Multicultural Difficulties in Chicago's Polish Catholic Community
      http://www.lib.niu.edu/1999/iht629923.html

      Encyclopedia of Chicago (Polish in Chicago)
      http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/982.html
      (Back of the Yards)
      http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/99.html

      website devoted to Chicago's Polonia
      http://www.poloniawchicago.com/ (in Polish)

      Sacred Heart Parish formed (circa) 1910, near St Joseph Parish
      in "Back of the Yards" area
      http://www.pgsa.org/ArchChiPolPar/StJosephChi.htm

      "Rev. Francis E. Nikliborc ... came to North Chicago in April 1973
      from Sacred Heart Church at 46th and Wolcott Ave. in Chicago where he
      had been associate pastor since 1970. "
      http://www.pgsa.org/ArchChiPolPar/HolyRoseNChi%20.htm
      *** WOW!
      Looks like Sacred Heart Church *is* (or was) at 46th & Wolcott!!

      The USA Church Directory (for Chicago,IL)
      http://www.churches-in.com/illinois/Chicago/

      ** Looks like the Sacred Heart Church at 46th & Wolcott
      might be closed.

      Chicago Closed Parishes (several Sacred Heart parishes!)
      http://www.italianancestry.com/chgclosed.html

      GoogleBook results - http://tinyurl.com/6o2duj
      (gives some history of Sacred Heart at 46th & Wolcott)

      - Tom Knox IBSSG "Bloodhound"

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@..., claire frustine <cfrustine@...>
      wrote:

      >   Hello, This site was listed as a possible place to find
      information on the Church where my Grandmother Married in Chicago,IL.
      IN THE EARLY 1920'S The church was located around 4600 south
      Wolcott'  Sacred Heart Catholic Church it was a Polish Church at the
      time and
      > my Grandparent's spoke very Little English and I understand she had
      a very large wedding with 7 bridesmaids, Her name was Ana
      (Annie,Anna) Shimala (Simala) and my Grandfather was Adam Zyblowicz
      (Zylowicz, Zabalowicz,???) any help this is driveing me crazy and I
      found Daddy's family back to Pencher,Durham,England and even have my
      mtDNA now and I need Mom's family line's to see who I am, My dna
      say's I'm related to the Romanov's T2
      > SO I need to get some History with the correct spelling of the
      names the church seem's the answer, Can I get any Help
      here???            Claire I Frustine

    • Barbara Sack
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 3, 2008
        My goodness, Nellie's still with us! I see she was the youngest
        child on the 1930 census. It's possible that the spelling starting
        with G is right but it's also possible the family just gave in and
        accepted the spelling given to them by some govt entity, such as
        immigration. That happened to a lot of families that had names
        English-speakers found too hard to spell and/or pronounce. Does
        Nellie (er, Angie Miedl) still have her birth cert, and can you talk
        her into letting you see it? I detect a bit of "attitude" there with
        Aunt Nellie - love it! Don't know that Nell/Nellie was ever short
        for Angela but maybe. Or maybe a middle name?

        As for the Hungary/Poland question, the way history changed the face
        of Europe so many times, it's entirely possible they were Polish,
        from what is now Poland, but was part of the (very large) Hungarian
        empire when they were born there. If my recollection of history is
        right, that large empire lasted until WWI.

        Do you want the images of the census for 1910 (Anna) and the family
        in 1930, or do you already have them. They do have more info than
        what I could give here. I'll need to send them as attachments directly to you.

        Regarding the church, I went to google maps and put in 46th and
        Wolcott, Chicago, and found a couple of churches two blocks away at
        46th and Wood. You can go there, put it on satellite, then ask for
        street view and actually look at the buildings by moving the little
        man-icon around on the blue line (you'll see what I mean when you get there).
        Barbara

        At 11:40 PM 9/2/2008, you wrote:

        >Hello Barbara, Thanks for the look up's the first family you came
        >across Ana Simala is
        >my grandmother and greatgrandparents Frank & Verona I don't believe
        >the second family is related in anyway ,Adam is my grandfather now
        >Annie? my uncle John died during a robbery in L.A.Ca. after serveing
        >in WWII around Christmas 1953 He was buried in Resurrection
        >Cemetery,Justice IL.in January 1954 because of bad weather as was
        >Ana when she passed in 1992 and Adam 07 April 1940 then Edward
        >Zyblowicz? 1989 then
        > Mary Byseck followed by her husband Stanley then my mom Helen 2002
        > (Wallace) and last is Aunt Nellie 80 yrs' young still playing Bingo
        > but I have to question her family knowlege she became offended when
        > I said Hungary she said No, we were only Polish"ouch" And when I
        > searched for grandfathers death certificate they had so many
        > spellings I went Crazy=Zyblowicz= Zabalowicz=Zylowicz=
        > "Grzebulowicz" which Nellie said was on her birth certificate she
        > call's herself Angie Miedl now! So at some point she was Angela ??
      • Barbara Sack
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 3, 2008
          Wow! What a lot of great sources, Tom. You certainly earn your
          bloodhound nickname. <g>
          Barbara

        • claire frustine
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 3, 2008
             Now this was fun I have been reading about the old neighborhood grandfather worked in the stock yards and the last place grandmother lived was 44th and Richmond katy corner from Five Holy Marters on Pope John Paul St " AKA:43rd" So I guess I need to notify the archives to find family information I'll bet the family was baptised there also worth a check!!
            thank's again Barbara and Tom the Bloodhound ;o)  blessings, Claire

            Tom Knox wrote:

> [...]
            >from Sacred Heart Church at 46th and Wolcott Ave. in Chicago where he
            >had been associate pastor since 1970. "
            ><http://www.pgsa.org/ArchChiPolPar/HolyRoseNChi%20.htm>http://www.pgsa.org/ArchChiPolPar/HolyRoseNChi%20.htm
            >*** WOW!
            >Looks like Sacred Heart Church *is* (or was) at 46th & Wolcott!!
            >
            >The USA Church Directory (for Chicago,IL)
            ><http://www.churches-in.com/illinois/Chicago/>http://www.churches-in.com/illinois/Chicago/
            >
            >** Looks like the Sacred Heart Church at 46th & Wolcott
            >might be closed.
            >
            >Chicago Closed Parishes (several Sacred Heart parishes!)
            ><http://www.italianancestry.com/chgclosed.html>http://www.italianancestry.com/chgclosed.html
            >
            >GoogleBook results -
            <http://tinyurl.com/6o2duj>http://tinyurl.com/6o2duj
            >(gives some history of Sacred Heart at 46th & Wolcott)

          • claire frustine
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 3, 2008
              I'd love a copy of the family census from 1910 Anna told Nellie that she was 4years old when she arrived in the USA in 1905, She has a younger brother Charles Shimala still living in Whiting Indiana his wife Alice died after grandmother but before Mom ? great Unkle Chuck will tell you he's just a old Slovak if asked, HE HAS TO BE 97+ ABOUT NOW HAVEN'T SEEN HIM IN 6 YEARS OR MORE ;O( WE STILL SEND CHRISTMAS CARDS
              I hope to speak with him soon or his daughter if I can locate her it's been many years
               thanks and God Bless, Claire

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 4, 2008
                > Regarding the church, I went to google maps and put in 46th and
                > Wolcott, Chicago,

                I put "4600 S Chicago, Chicago, IL" into GoogleMaps,
                and then did a Level-3 or 4 zoom (where Level-1 is "closest").
                I'll bet that the one-square-block empty lot is where
                the church USED to be!

                http://tinyurl.com/5h67rx
                http://maps.google.com/maps?
                num=50&hl=en&safe=off&q=4600+s+wolcott,+chicago,+il&ie=UTF8&ll=41.8110
                2,-87.673495&spn=0.005902,0.016158&t=h&z=16

                - Tom Knox IBSSG

                --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Sack
                <bsack@...> wrote:

                > My goodness, Nellie's still with us! I see she was the youngest
                > child on the 1930 census. It's possible that the spelling starting
                > with G is right but it's also possible the family just gave in and
                > accepted the spelling given to them by some govt entity, such as
                > immigration. That happened to a lot of families that had names
                > English-speakers found too hard to spell and/or pronounce. Does
                > Nellie (er, Angie Miedl) still have her birth cert, and can you
                talk
                > her into letting you see it? I detect a bit of "attitude" there
                with
                > Aunt Nellie - love it! Don't know that Nell/Nellie was ever short
                > for Angela but maybe. Or maybe a middle name?
                >
                > As for the Hungary/Poland question, the way history changed the
                face
                > of Europe so many times, it's entirely possible they were Polish,
                > from what is now Poland, but was part of the (very large) Hungarian
                > empire when they were born there. If my recollection of history is
                > right, that large empire lasted until WWI.
                >
                > Do you want the images of the census for 1910 (Anna) and the family
                > in 1930, or do you already have them. They do have more info than
                > what I could give here. I'll need to send them as attachments
                directly to you.

                > Regarding the church, I went to google maps and put in 46th and
                > Wolcott, Chicago, and found a couple of churches two blocks away at
                > 46th and Wood. You can go there, put it on satellite, then ask for
                > street view and actually look at the buildings by moving the little
                > man-icon around on the blue line (you'll see what I mean when you
                get there).
                > Barbara

              • claire frustine
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 4, 2008
                  Hello folk's just logged in for a quick view(busy, busy) I looked at the street view on Wolcott and the north west corner is a empty lot and the south east conner is a school of some sort
                  Hispantic I believe, Very large but alas no church it's been taken down after only 80 years that seem's like a baby church for this area I would have thought most churches would have stood hundreds of years?? So it's off to the Archdiocese of Chicago ,I'll write to them and hopefully find some records once again I can't thank all members who were so very helpful to me enought !!! God Bless you all!!     Claire I Frustine  ;O)