Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Sacred Heart Catholic Church

  • Barbara Sack
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2008
      Hi Claire,
      I did a search on ancestry.com and found the following. If you'd
      like copies of any of the original census forms and don't have access
      to ancestry, let me know and I'll email them directly to you. They
      must go as attachments, which I don't think can be sent to this site.

      From the 1910 Census (ancestry)
      Name: Ana Simala
      Age in 1910: 8
      Estimated Birth Year: abt 1902
      Birthplace: Hungary
      Relation to Head of House: Daughter
      Father's Name: Frank
      Father's Birth Place: Hungary
      Mother's Name: Verona
      Mother's Birth Place: Hungary
      Home in 1910: Whiting Ward 1, Lake, Indiana
      Marital Status: Single
      Race: White
      Gender: Female
      Year of Immigration: 1905 (see 1930 census below & my notes)
      Neighbors: View others on page
      Household Members:
      Name Age
      Frank Simala 38
      Verona Simala 40
      John Simala 1 5/12
      Ana Simala 8
      Stefan Simala 0

      Also 1910 Census; note Chicago, Indiana (??)
      Name: Ana Sainaila
      [Ana Samaila]
      []

      Age in 1910: 9
      Estimated Birth Year: abt 1901
      Birthplace: Hungary
      Relation to Head of House: Daughter
      Father's Name: Ion
      Father's Birth Place: Hungary
      Mother's Name: Rapla
      Mother's Birth Place: Hungary
      Home in 1910: East Chicago Ward 6, Lake, Indiana
      Marital Status: Single
      Race: White
      Gender: Female
      Year of Immigration: 1906
      Neighbors: View others on page
      Household Members:
      Name Age
      Ion Sainaila 46
      Rapla Sainaila 40
      Ana Sainaila 9
      (There are numerous others in the household, all with different last
      names, all seem to be boarders, so I left them off)

      Strangely, I found nothing remotely close for her in the 1920 census, nor him.

      1930 Census BEST FIND
      Name: Adam Zabalowicz
      Home in 1930: Chicago, Cook, Illinois
      Age: 36
      Estimated Birth Year: abt 1894
      Birthplace: Poland
      Relation to Head of House: Head
      Spouse's Name: Annie
      Race: White
      Occupation:
      Education:
      Military service:
      Rent/home value:
      Age at first marriage: 32 = 1925/26
      Parents' birthplace:
      Neighbors: View others on page
      Household Members:
      Name Age
      Adam Zabalowicz 36
      Annie Zabalowicz 26
      Mary Zabalowicz 6
      John Zabalowicz 5
      Edward Zabalowicz 4
      Helen Zabalowicz 2 10/12
      Nellie Zabalowicz 1 2/12
      Because the handwriting on the last name seemed so careful, as though
      writing while someone was spelling, I looked under this but found
      nothing else. The original form shows he arrived in the US in 1905,
      she in 1910. It also shows he can't read and write, so his name
      spellings might have varied too.

      After doing all this, I realized you were asking specifically about
      the church. I googled Sacred Heart Catholic Church Chicago and got,
      among others, the following:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_Heart_Church_(Chicago,_Illinois)
      At the bottom of the article is a link "Mary Magdalene" and "Sacred
      Heart Church" that goes to another page that has a picture and the
      history of the church. I noted that Ana's family gave Slovak as
      their language, which fits with the language of the church
      then. Only thing is, I don't Chicago well enough to know whether
      this is in the right vicinity.

      My google search resulted in a listing of many more Chicago Sacred
      Heart Churches. You might want to do the same and see if anything
      lines up with family stories.

      With the info from the 1930 census as to the approximate year of
      their marriage (1926), perhaps you can try to get a marriage
      certificate to see how each family spells their last names. This
      might also give you the parents' names, if you don't have them.

      Good luck!

      Barbara

      At 03:07 PM 8/28/2008, you wrote:

      > Hello, This site was listed as a possible place to find
      > information on the Church where my Grandmother Married in
      > Chicago,IL. IN THE EARLY 1920'S The church was located around 4600
      > south Wolcott' Sacred Heart Catholic Church it was a Polish Church
      > at the time and
      >my Grandparent's spoke very Little English and I understand she had
      >a very large wedding with 7 bridesmaids, Her name was Ana
      >(Annie,Anna) Shimala (Simala) and my Grandfather was Adam (Zylowicz,
      >Zabalowicz,???) any help this is driveing me crazy and I found
      >Daddy's family back to Pencher,Durham,England and even have
      >my mtDNA now and I need Mom's family line's to see who I am, My dna
      >say's I'm related to the Romanov's T2
      >SO I need to get some History with the correct spelling of the names
      >the church seem's the answer, Can I get any Help
      >here??? Claire I Frustine

    • claire frustine
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 2, 2008
        Hello Barbara, Thanks for the look up's the first family you came across Ana Simala is
        my grandmother and greatgrandparents Frank & Verona I don't believe the second family is related in anyway ,Adam is my grandfather now Annie? my uncle John died during a robbery in L.A.Ca. after serveing in WWII around Christmas 1953 He was buried in Resurrection Cemetery,Justice IL.in January 1954 because of bad weather as was Ana when she passed in 1992 and Adam 07 April 1940 then Edward Zyblowicz? 1989 then
         Mary Byseck followed by her husband Stanley then my mom Helen 2002 (Wallace) and last is Aunt Nellie 80 yrs' young still playing Bingo but I have to question her family knowlege she became offended when I said Hungary she said No, we were only Polish"ouch" And when I searched for grandfathers death certificate they had so many spellings I went Crazy=Zyblowicz= Zabalowicz=Zylowicz= "Grzebulowicz" which Nellie said was on her birth certificate she call's herself Angie Miedl now! So at some point she was Angela ??
        I did a search on ancestry.com and found the following. If you'd
        like copies of any of the original census forms and don't have access
        to ancestry, let me know and I'll email them directly to you. They
        must go as attachments, which I don't think can be sent to this site.

        From the 1910 Census (ancestry)

        At 03:07 PM 8/28/2008, you wrote:

        > Hello, This site was listed as a possible place to find
        > information on the Church where my Grandmother Married in
        > Chicago,IL. IN THE EARLY 1920'S The church was located around 4600
        > south Wolcott' Sacred Heart Catholic Church it was a Polish Church
        > at the time and
        >my Grandparent's spoke very Little English and I understand she had
        >a very large wedding with 7 bridesmaids, Her name was Ana
        >(Annie,Anna) Shimala (Simala) and my Grandfather was Adam (Zylowicz,
        >Zabalowicz,???) any help this is driveing me crazy and I found
        >Daddy's family back to Pencher,Durham,England and even have
        >my mtDNA now and I need Mom's family line's to see who I am, My
        dna
        >say's I'm related to the Romanov's T2
        >SO I need to get some History with the correct spelling of the names
        >the church seem's the answer, Can I get any Help
        >here??? Claire I Frustine

      • Tom Knox
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 3, 2008
          Claire -

          Some resources -

          The Genealogical Holdings of
          the Polish Museum of America (Chicago,IL)
          (http://www.pgsa.org/PMALib.pdf) PDF file

          City of Chicago Polish Parishes (1915)
          http://www.pgsa.org/chicparish.htm
          Marriage Index for Polish Parishes in Chicago through 1915
          http://www.pgsa.org/chicmarintro.htm

          Poles in Chicago
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poles_in_Chicago
          search for SACRED HEART --> Sercanowo: "Back of the Yard"
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_of_the_Yards#Back_of_the_Yards
          Gives a GPS-lat/long for the neighborhood which is in the vicinity of
          4600 S Wolcott (both are near W 47th St & S Ashland Ave).
          *** This sounds like the right church in the right neighborhood.

          *** It looks like this is a *different* "Sacred Heart" than the one
          in the Wikipedia article (which is Croatian, and located at 2864 E
          96th St) which appears to be approx. 13 miles away from "4600 S
          Wolcott".

          Multicultural Difficulties in Chicago's Polish Catholic Community
          http://www.lib.niu.edu/1999/iht629923.html

          Encyclopedia of Chicago (Polish in Chicago)
          http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/982.html
          (Back of the Yards)
          http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/99.html

          website devoted to Chicago's Polonia
          http://www.poloniawchicago.com/ (in Polish)

          Sacred Heart Parish formed (circa) 1910, near St Joseph Parish
          in "Back of the Yards" area
          http://www.pgsa.org/ArchChiPolPar/StJosephChi.htm

          "Rev. Francis E. Nikliborc ... came to North Chicago in April 1973
          from Sacred Heart Church at 46th and Wolcott Ave. in Chicago where he
          had been associate pastor since 1970. "
          http://www.pgsa.org/ArchChiPolPar/HolyRoseNChi%20.htm
          *** WOW!
          Looks like Sacred Heart Church *is* (or was) at 46th & Wolcott!!

          The USA Church Directory (for Chicago,IL)
          http://www.churches-in.com/illinois/Chicago/

          ** Looks like the Sacred Heart Church at 46th & Wolcott
          might be closed.

          Chicago Closed Parishes (several Sacred Heart parishes!)
          http://www.italianancestry.com/chgclosed.html

          GoogleBook results - http://tinyurl.com/6o2duj
          (gives some history of Sacred Heart at 46th & Wolcott)

          - Tom Knox IBSSG "Bloodhound"

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@..., claire frustine <cfrustine@...>
          wrote:

          >   Hello, This site was listed as a possible place to find
          information on the Church where my Grandmother Married in Chicago,IL.
          IN THE EARLY 1920'S The church was located around 4600 south
          Wolcott'  Sacred Heart Catholic Church it was a Polish Church at the
          time and
          > my Grandparent's spoke very Little English and I understand she had
          a very large wedding with 7 bridesmaids, Her name was Ana
          (Annie,Anna) Shimala (Simala) and my Grandfather was Adam Zyblowicz

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 3, 2008
            My goodness, Nellie's still with us! I see she was the youngest
            child on the 1930 census. It's possible that the spelling starting
            with G is right but it's also possible the family just gave in and
            accepted the spelling given to them by some govt entity, such as
            immigration. That happened to a lot of families that had names
            English-speakers found too hard to spell and/or pronounce. Does
            Nellie (er, Angie Miedl) still have her birth cert, and can you talk
            her into letting you see it? I detect a bit of "attitude" there with
            Aunt Nellie - love it! Don't know that Nell/Nellie was ever short
            for Angela but maybe. Or maybe a middle name?

            As for the Hungary/Poland question, the way history changed the face
            of Europe so many times, it's entirely possible they were Polish,
            from what is now Poland, but was part of the (very large) Hungarian
            empire when they were born there. If my recollection of history is
            right, that large empire lasted until WWI.

            Do you want the images of the census for 1910 (Anna) and the family
            in 1930, or do you already have them. They do have more info than
            what I could give here. I'll need to send them as attachments directly to you.

            Regarding the church, I went to google maps and put in 46th and
            Wolcott, Chicago, and found a couple of churches two blocks away at
            46th and Wood. You can go there, put it on satellite, then ask for
            street view and actually look at the buildings by moving the little
            man-icon around on the blue line (you'll see what I mean when you get there).
            Barbara

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 3, 2008
              Wow! What a lot of great sources, Tom. You certainly earn your
              bloodhound nickname. <g>
              Barbara

            • claire frustine
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 3, 2008
                 Now this was fun I have been reading about the old neighborhood grandfather worked in the stock yards and the last place grandmother lived was 44th and Richmond katy corner from Five Holy Marters on Pope John Paul St " AKA:43rd" So I guess I need to notify the archives to find family information I'll bet the family was baptised there also worth a check!!
                thank's again Barbara and Tom the Bloodhound ;o)  blessings, Claire

                Tom Knox wrote:

> [...]
                >from Sacred Heart Church at 46th and Wolcott Ave. in Chicago where he
                >had been associate pastor since 1970. "
                ><http://www.pgsa.org/ArchChiPolPar/HolyRoseNChi%20.htm>http://www.pgsa.org/ArchChiPolPar/HolyRoseNChi%20.htm
                >*** WOW!
                >Looks like Sacred Heart Church *is* (or was) at 46th & Wolcott!!
                >
                >The USA Church Directory (for Chicago,IL)
                ><http://www.churches-in.com/illinois/Chicago/>http://www.churches-in.com/illinois/Chicago/
                >
                >** Looks like the Sacred Heart Church at 46th & Wolcott
                >might be closed.
                >
                >Chicago Closed Parishes (several Sacred Heart parishes!)
                ><http://www.italianancestry.com/chgclosed.html>http://www.italianancestry.com/chgclosed.html
                >
                >GoogleBook results -
                <http://tinyurl.com/6o2duj>http://tinyurl.com/6o2duj
                >(gives some history of Sacred Heart at 46th & Wolcott)

              • claire frustine
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 3, 2008
                  I'd love a copy of the family census from 1910 Anna told Nellie that she was 4years old when she arrived in the USA in 1905, She has a younger brother Charles Shimala still living in Whiting Indiana his wife Alice died after grandmother but before Mom ? great Unkle Chuck will tell you he's just a old Slovak if asked, HE HAS TO BE 97+ ABOUT NOW HAVEN'T SEEN HIM IN 6 YEARS OR MORE ;O( WE STILL SEND CHRISTMAS CARDS
                  I hope to speak with him soon or his daughter if I can locate her it's been many years
                   thanks and God Bless, Claire

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 4, 2008
                    > Regarding the church, I went to google maps and put in 46th and
                    > Wolcott, Chicago,

                    I put "4600 S Chicago, Chicago, IL" into GoogleMaps,
                    and then did a Level-3 or 4 zoom (where Level-1 is "closest").
                    I'll bet that the one-square-block empty lot is where
                    the church USED to be!

                    http://tinyurl.com/5h67rx
                    http://maps.google.com/maps?
                    num=50&hl=en&safe=off&q=4600+s+wolcott,+chicago,+il&ie=UTF8&ll=41.8110
                    2,-87.673495&spn=0.005902,0.016158&t=h&z=16

                    - Tom Knox IBSSG

                    --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Sack
                    <bsack@...> wrote:

                    > My goodness, Nellie's still with us! I see she was the youngest
                    > child on the 1930 census. It's possible that the spelling starting
                    > with G is right but it's also possible the family just gave in and
                    > accepted the spelling given to them by some govt entity, such as
                    > immigration. That happened to a lot of families that had names
                    > English-speakers found too hard to spell and/or pronounce. Does
                    > Nellie (er, Angie Miedl) still have her birth cert, and can you
                    talk
                    > her into letting you see it? I detect a bit of "attitude" there
                    with
                    > Aunt Nellie - love it! Don't know that Nell/Nellie was ever short
                    > for Angela but maybe. Or maybe a middle name?
                    >
                    > As for the Hungary/Poland question, the way history changed the
                    face
                    > of Europe so many times, it's entirely possible they were Polish,
                    > from what is now Poland, but was part of the (very large) Hungarian
                    > empire when they were born there. If my recollection of history is
                    > right, that large empire lasted until WWI.
                    >
                    > Do you want the images of the census for 1910 (Anna) and the family
                    > in 1930, or do you already have them. They do have more info than
                    > what I could give here. I'll need to send them as attachments
                    directly to you.

                    > Regarding the church, I went to google maps and put in 46th and
                    > Wolcott, Chicago, and found a couple of churches two blocks away at
                    > 46th and Wood. You can go there, put it on satellite, then ask for
                    > street view and actually look at the buildings by moving the little
                    > man-icon around on the blue line (you'll see what I mean when you
                    get there).
                    > Barbara

                  • claire frustine
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 4, 2008
                      Hello folk's just logged in for a quick view(busy, busy) I looked at the street view on Wolcott and the north west corner is a empty lot and the south east conner is a school of some sort
                      Hispantic I believe, Very large but alas no church it's been taken down after only 80 years that seem's like a baby church for this area I would have thought most churches would have stood hundreds of years?? So it's off to the Archdiocese of Chicago ,I'll write to them and hopefully find some records once again I can't thank all members who were so very helpful to me enought !!! God Bless you all!!     Claire I Frustine  ;O)