England

  • keenetrio
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 25 7:42 PM
      How would I go about researching my family once I hit the shores of
      England, or other countries, without paying an arm and a leg to do it.
      Seems most of my tree limbs start either in England or Germany.
      Lisa
    • Kate
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 26 6:24 AM
        how far back are you? I have access to rhe English records on Ancestry.com
        Kate

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 26 2:03 PM
          Hi -

          Online genealogy resources are particularly available for English-
          speaking countries (US, British Isles, Canada, Australia, NZ); for
          Europe, privacy concerns and availability of information (after two
          World Wars) severely limit the online resources.

          A good generic starting-point:
          WorldGenWeb - http://www.worldgenweb.org/
          British Isles - http://www.britishislesgenweb.org/
          Cyndi's List - http://cyndislist.com/

          Ancestry.com has England & Wales BMD records 1780-2005
          (Birth/Marriage/Death), England/Wales/Scotland censuses 1841-1901, some
          military records, some British city directories back to 1680, other old
          records.

          And another key resource is genealogy groups/boards (like this one)
          where you can ask questions.

          Just as with American genealogy, availability of information can depend
          upon what time-frame you are looking for.

          - Tom Knox IBSSG

          --- In GenealogyResearchClub, "keenetrio" <keenetrio@...> wrote:

          > How would I go about researching my family once I hit the shores of
          > England, or other countries, without paying an arm and a leg to do it.
          > Seems most of my tree limbs start either in England or Germany.
          > Lisa

        • claire frustine
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 3, 2008
              I have many English relation's that have lent me a hand with my search give me a hollar and I'll try to do a lookup for you ,The English are great people to work with very warm and friendly, Give me some name's and local's for the English folks and I'll try. Claire

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 4, 2008
              Clare Frustine;

              Trying to acquire information on Phillip Murphy. I have no info other than he and family arrived in New York aboard the SS Wyoming on October 19, 1881, Family was: wife, Ann, son:Edward, daughter:Mary. Phillip was born about 1845. Origin was Ireland.
              Any help GREATLY appreciated.
              George