Introduction

  • Mechelle Wallace
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 25, 2008
      Hello to everyone,

      I am new to the group, and new to genealogy. My name is Mechelle, and I live in Fresno, CA.  Like a lot of people, I waited too long to develop an interest in Genealogy. Most of the people in my family, who would have had the answers, are long gone.

      Right now, I am searching for my Cunningham relatives.
      They were Irish and they settled in S/W Missouri.
      I can go as far back as my GGGG Grandfather Joseph Cunningham, b. abt. 1786, in PA. His wife's name was Elizabeth, and she was born in NC. There are 2-3 family trees on Rootsweb and World Connect, and they all stop at Joseph. Nobody has been able to find that missing puzzle piece.
      Joseph and Elizabeth had one known child, William Lewis Cunningham b. 1817 in MO. or KY.

      The are were my family had their farms was in what is now called Garrison Missouri. In that area, the county name changed three times, after Joseph arrived abt. 1830. It started as Greene, then changed to Taney, and then finally Christian County. (that was a big roadblock).
      My other family lines are, Wallace, Buchanan, Ellingsworth, Jones, White, Moody, and Cook.

      I know everyone is busy with their own research, but I would appreciate any help that you can give.

      Mechelle

    • Barbara Sack
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 7, 2008
        Hi Michelle,
        Do you know what county Joseph came from? I found the following in ancestry.

        York County, Pennsylvania Wills, 1749-1819 about Joseph Cunningham
        Name:Joseph Cunningham
        Date:7 Mar 1803
        Prove Date:23 Mar 1803
        Remarks:Benjamin Cunningham. Mar 7, 1803. Executor: William Morrison.
        Fawn Township. Wife: Jean Cunningham. Children: Ambrose, Benjamin,
        Hugh, Samuel, Joseph, Mary, Sarah wife of Reve. Parker, Lates wife of
        Hugh Gibson, Jean wife of James McKuitt, Elizabeth wife of John
        Crozly, and Ann wife of Samuel Parker.
        Note that Joseph is the son of the person who's will is being
        "proved." And it gives the names of the rest of the family. Might
        this be a place to start to look?

        I found several Cunninghams in the Cumberland County, Pennsylvania
        Quarter Session Dockets 1750-1785 but the few I looked at are
        witnesses or jurors in cases. None seem to be a Joseph, but some
        could be his father or uncles or ?? They're too voluminous to
        include here, but if this is "his" county, I'll see if I can send
        them to your directly, if any apply (I didn't look at all of them).

        I also found the following for Lancaster Co, but it's hard to say
        what the Book/Vol number is for the ones w/o one - whether it's the
        one given for the name before or (I think more likely) for the one
        given next. I've included all the Cunninghams listed.

        Lancaster, Pennsylvania Probate Index, 1729-1850
        Name: Cunkle, William, Sr
        Year: 1831
        Book: F
        Volume: 1
        Page: 132
        Name: Cunningham, James
        Year: 1733
        Name: Cunningham, James
        Year: 1746
        Name: Cunningham, James
        Year: 1774
        Name: Cunningham, John
        Year: 1760
        Name: Cunningham, John
        Year: 1781
        Name: Cunningham, John
        Year: 1786
        Name: Cunningham, John
        Year: 1827
        Book: D
        Volume: 1
        Page: 77
        Name: Cunningham, Joseph
        Year: 1748
        Name: Cunningham, Joseph
        Year: 1769
        Name: Cunningham, Robert
        Year: 1800
        Name: Cunningham, Dr. Robert
        Year: 1806
        Name: Curpman, Christian
        Year: 1801
        Name: Curran, Sarah
        Year: 1824
        Book: B
        Volume: 1
        Page: 165

        Others earlier in the index:

        Lancaster Co Index p 26
        Name: Cunningham, Andrew
        Year: 1760
        Book: I
        Volume: 1
        Page: 81
        Name: Cunningham, Andrew
        Year: 1779
        Book: C
        Volume: 1
        Page: 523
        Name: Cunningham, James
        Year: 1793
        Book: F
        Volume: 1
        Page: 469
        Name: Cunningham, Mathew
        Year: 1795
        Book: G
        Volume: 1
        Page: 348
        Name: Cunningham, Roger
        Year: 1744
        Book: A
        Volume: 1
        Page: 90
        Name: Cunningham, Samuel
        Year: 1777
        Book: D
        Volume: 1
        Page: 374
        Name: Cunningham, William
        Year: 1752
        Book: A
        Volume: 1
        Page: 199

        Finally, there's a reference to Joseph Cunningham here:

        American Genealogical-Biographical Index (AGBI) about Joseph Cunningham
        Name:Joseph Cunningham
        Birth Date:1750
        Birthplace:Pennsylvania
        Volume:38
        Page Number:223
        Reference:Ten "Series" of "Pennsylvnia Archives" have been so far
        published in from 5 to 31v. Ea. Philadelphia and Harrisburg. 1852- (
        We have indexed Series 2, v.2 and v.8 ( early Pa. marriage recds.)
        And all the v. of SeriesV. Which contain nearly complete Pa. Rev. War
        recds.)Ser.5:2:941, 963, 990; 4:125, 542

        This sounds very promising. I think you can find out that's in this
        index, even though you're not a member, by going
        here:
        <http://www.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=3599&enc=1>http://www.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=3599&enc=1
        If not, it includes this:

        Where to go from here:

        Remember that the AGBI is an index to individuals appearing in family
        histories and other genealogical works, and researchers are
        encouraged to locate and examine the material from which the database
        was created. If not available from your local academic or research
        library, most of the works referenced in the AGBI are housed at the
        Godfrey Memorial Library in Connecticut. A photocopy service is
        available. Please contact Godfrey Memorial Library, 134 Newfield St,
        Middletown, CT 06457 or via e-mail at
        <mailto:referenceinfo@...>referenceinfo@....

        I hope some of this gives you something to work with.

        Barbara

        At 04:16 PM 8/25/2008, you wrote:

        >Hello to everyone,
        >
        >I am new to the group, and new to genealogy. My name is Mechelle,
        >and I live in Fresno, CA. Like a lot of people, I waited too long
        >to develop an interest in Genealogy. Most of the people in my
        >family, who would have had the answers, are long gone.
        >
        >Right now, I am searching for my Cunningham relatives.
        >They were Irish and they settled in S/W Missouri.
        >I can go as far back as my GGGG Grandfather Joseph Cunningham, b.
        >abt. 1786, in PA. His wife's name was Elizabeth, and she was born in
        >NC. There are 2-3 family trees on Rootsweb and World Connect, and
        >they all stop at Joseph. Nobody has been able to find that missing
        >puzzle piece.
        >Joseph and Elizabeth had one known child, William Lewis Cunningham
        >b. 1817 in MO. or KY.
        >
        >The are were my family had their farms was in what is now called
        >Garrison Missouri. In that area, the county name changed three
        >times, after Joseph arrived abt. 1830. It started as Greene, then
        >changed to Taney, and then finally Christian County. (that was a big
        >roadblock).
        >My other family lines are, Wallace, Buchanan, Ellingsworth, Jones,
        >White, Moody, and Cook.
        >
        >I know everyone is busy with their own research, but I would
        >appreciate any help that you can give.
        >
        >Mechelle

      • Mechelle Wallace
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 8, 2008
          I really appreciate all this good research!  There is a giltch when I look at the PA. records,
          due to there being another Cunningham (Joseph) who lived and died in PA. Those Cunninghams then moved on to Rowan Co. NC. There is a line of Josephs, going from the
          I to the IV. I have never been able to connect my line to them. Family spoken history, states that my Joseph came from Ireland, migrated to Kentucky, then on to Missouri. I have found a possible match, in 1820 Casey, Co. Kentucky. I know he was in Missouri by 1833, as evidenced by tax records.
          I have not found any connection between Hugh Cunningham and my Joseph.

          I will explore what you have found, and thank you so much.

          Mechelle

          Date:7 Mar 1803
          Prove Date:23 Mar 1803

          <mailto:referenceinfo@ godfrey.org>referenceinfo@ godfrey.org.

          At 04:16 PM 8/25/2008, you wrote:

          >Hello to everyone,
          >
          >I am new to the group, and new to genealogy. My name is Mechelle,
          >and I live in Fresno, CA. Like a lot of people, I waited too long
          >to develop an interest in Genealogy. Most of the people in my
          >family, who would have had the answers, are long gone.
          >
          >Right now, I am searching for my Cunningham relatives.
          >They were Irish and they settled in S/W Missouri.
          >I can go as far back as my GGGG Grandfather Joseph Cunningham, b.
          >abt. 1786, in PA. His wife's name was Elizabeth, and she was born in
          >NC. There are 2-3 family trees on Rootsweb and World Connect, and
          >they all stop at Joseph. Nobody has been able to find that missing
          >puzzle piece.
          >Joseph and Elizabeth had one known child, William Lewis Cunningham
          >b. 1817 in MO. or KY.
          >
          >The are were my family had their farms was in what is now called
          >Garrison Missouri. In that area, the county name changed three
          >times, after Joseph arrived abt. 1830. It started as Greene, then
          >changed to Taney, and then finally Christian County. (that was a big
          >roadblock).
          >My other family lines are, Wallace, Buchanan, Ellingsworth, Jones,
          >White, Moody, and Cook.
          >
          >I know everyone is busy with their own research, but I would
          >appreciate any help that you can give.
          >
          >Mechelle

        • Paul Shonk
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 9, 2008
            Hi to all members, just thought I'd introduce myself as I have just
            joined the group. Researching Shonk in Essex,UK , Webster in Kent,
            Cawley from Balinasloe, Ireland, pooley in Suffolk, UK, Riches in
            Norfolk & Essex, UK, Ayres in Essex & Beds UK, New Zealand & South
            Africa(although Laura Ayres became Laura Burnett!)

            Anyone with any info, or also researching the same areas, I'd love to
            swap information/pics etc.

            Anyway, must get back to work now, looking forward to corresponding
            with you all.
          • Mechelle Wallace
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 9, 2008
              Hi Paul,

              Welcome...

              Happy Hunting,
              Mechelle

              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 10, 2008
                Hi Paul, welcome.
                I don't have anything for those areas but I do have some prison info for the UK, NZ, Australia and NSW
                (other countries too) if u ever need me to look up something.
                Sunny IBSSG

                From: Paul Shonk <pas1962@...>
                To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Tuesday, September 9, 2008, 5:01 AM

              • Kimberly Hamilton
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 20 3:28 PM
                  Hello,
                  My name is Kimberly Hamilton. I have been researching my family tree and I am truly a novice. I use ancestry.com .
                  The family names that I am researching are: Biagio Carli-came from Italy and settled in Philadelphia,
                  Mary Jordan-came from Ireland,settled in Philadelphia, married John Coppinger
                  John Coppinger( Ino Coppinger)-came from Ireland and settled in Philadelphia
                  George Thomas Hance-was born in Pennsylvania between 1879 and 1871
                  Adolph Eder-came from Russia and settled in Baltimore, MD,married Nellie Bartulis (she came to America in 1910 from Russia(lithuania)
                  Ellen McAvoy-born in Pennsylvania around 1875
                  Isaac Simpson-born in NJ around 1838
                  Adele Carli-came from Italy and settled in Philadelphia,married Biagio Carli
                  Mikel Bartulis-no other info
                  Michael Warnick-born around 1897 in Philadelphia,parents from Vienna Austria
                  I seemed to have found all I can on Ancestry.com. Any ideas?
                  Thank you, Kim Hamilton

                • joanne
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 20 3:56 PM
                    Hi Kimberly, I do not have any of the names you mentioned however, I do
                    have some Hamiltons in my family tree, if you are interested in
                    researching that portion of your family I might be able to help. Mine
                    are mostly from Rhode Island and Massachusetts, but it could be a start.
                    Thanks Jodi
                    --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Kimberly Hamilton
                    <bellastandardpoodles@...> wrote:

                    > Hello,
                    > My name is Kimberly Hamilton. I have been researching my family tree
                    and I am truly a novice. I use ancestry.com .
                    > The family names that I am researching are: Biagio Carli-came from
                    Italy and settled in Philadelphia,
                    > Mary Jordan-came from Ireland,settled in Philadelphia, married John
                    Coppinger
                    > John Coppinger( Ino Coppinger)-came from Ireland and settled in
                    Philadelphia
                    > George Thomas Hance-was born in Pennsylvania between 1879 and 1871
                    > Adolph Eder-came from Russia and settled in Baltimore, MD,married
                    Nellie Bartulis (she came to America in 1910 from Russia(lithuania)
                    > Ellen McAvoy-born in Pennsylvania around 1875
                    > Isaac Simpson-born in NJ around 1838
                    > Adele Carli-came from Italy and settled in Philadelphia,married Biagio
                    Carli
                    > Mikel Bartulis-no other info
                    > Michael Warnick-born around 1897 in Philadelphia,parents from Vienna
                    Austria
                    > I seemed to have found all I can on Ancestry.com. Any ideas?
                    > Thank you, Kim Hamilton

                  • lbodonald
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 20 4:05 PM
                      Hi Kimberly,

                      If you haven't already done so, I suggest searching the City Directories on ancestry.com, since you mention that site. I'm pretty new to genealogy research but I have found some very interesting background information by searching the city directories where my Massachusetts ancestors lived. I found listings of what they did for work, and some info as to where they resided in terms of family clusters, which was surprising. It gives you year-by-year information on where they lived and what they did, and how that changed over time.

                      I also suggest looking at rootsweb.com if you haven't looked at that part of ancestry.com (I think it's part of ancestry.com anyway). I found very different information on there, thanks to research other geneaologists did, from what I found at ancestry.com's main page.

                      One other suggestion would be to check USgenweb.org -- that led me to search vital records for Massachusetts, none of which showed up at ancestry.com (the kind of thing that drives you crazy of you don't know why, which I don't!!). I found exact birth, death, and marriage listings -- of course, I'll have to go get or send for copies of them to see what they say -- between 1841 and 1910. Nothing's online for Massachusetts after 1910 yet, I found. Of course other states' vital records will be different; I found, for example, that I can't get vital records for Maine online and the info for before 1892 is scarce.

                      Hope this helps.

                      --Louise (Burnham) O'Donald

                    • paperboy1949@sbcglobal.net
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 21 8:06 PM
                        Kimberly,

                        I have Hamilton's in my family from Arkansas around 1900. Is your family from that area?

                        Mike

                        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Kimberly Hamilton <bellastandardpoodles@...> wrote:

                        > Hello,
                        > My name is Kimberly Hamilton. I have been researching my family tree and I am truly a novice. I use ancestry.com .
                        > The family names that I am researching are: Biagio Carli-came from Italy and settled in Philadelphia,
                        > Mary Jordan-came from Ireland,settled in Philadelphia, married John Coppinger
                        > John Coppinger( Ino Coppinger)-came from Ireland and settled in Philadelphia
                        > George Thomas Hance-was born in Pennsylvania between 1879 and 1871
                        > Adolph Eder-came from Russia and settled in Baltimore, MD,married Nellie Bartulis (she came to America in 1910 from Russia(lithuania)
                        > Ellen McAvoy-born in Pennsylvania around 1875
                        > Isaac Simpson-born in NJ around 1838
                        > Adele Carli-came from Italy and settled in Philadelphia,married Biagio Carli
                        > Mikel Bartulis-no other info
                        > Michael Warnick-born around 1897 in Philadelphia,parents from Vienna Austria
                        > I seemed to have found all I can on Ancestry.com. Any ideas?
                        > Thank you, Kim Hamilton

                      • Stampat
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 9, 2010
                          Hi,

                          My name is Pat Neff ....maiden name Mehlenbacher...
                          My daughter and I have started researching the Neff/Mehlenbacher trees.
                          There have been some surprises and some frustrations. The difficulty right now is finding information on my maternal side of the family which is surname SLOAT.....from Ontario, Livingston, Genesee and Steuben Counties, NY.
                          My grandfather , BYRON SLOAT born 1873 in NY was in an orphange in Canandaigua, NY . Byron's mother came here from Ireland... and we're stuck...Any help?

                          Thank you,
                          Pat