FYI about Michigan Death Records 1897-1920

  • Barbara Sack
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 20, 2008
      The following notice was posted on another genealogy list I belong
      to. I thought some here might be interested too.
      Barbara

      Michigan Death Records, 1897-1920, Will Be Digitized; Microfilm Will
      Be Unavailable for Several Months

      Good Morning All:

      I found this notice on the Library of Michigan Website. In the past
      Michigan has not had a lot of vital records on-line, but recently
      some have been added to the www.familysearchlabs.org site, and now
      they're working on these death records. Since they started this
      project in May, hopefully the records will be available soon!

      (name of prior poster)

      The Michigan death records, 1897 to 1920, microfilm set was sent off-
      site in May for digitization, which will take several months.

      The Library of Michigan has entered into an agreement with The
      Generations Network (Ancestry.com) to digitize these Michigan death
      records. Funding from the Talbert and Leota Abrams Foundation is
      making this digitization project possible. The death records will be
      loaded into a database that will be indexed and easily searchable.
      All scanned images will be provided for FREE on the Library of
      Michigan's Web site. Users from across the country will be able to
      access the database and download death records from the comfort of
      their home computer.

      We ask that researchers be patient while the records are out of the
      Library being digitized, and we are confident that the digitized
      versions of these important records will be well worth the wait. If
      you have questions about the digitization project timeline, do not
      hesitate to ask staff for clarifications.