I've hit a brick wall and it hurts!!!!!

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 18, 2008
      I've searched every passenger list that I can get my hands on on the
      internet and every genealogy website. I know my relatives came from
      Posen Germany (now Poland)between 1858-1861. How else do I find a
      record of their being on a ship. I know they just didn't drop out of
      the sky and land in Wisconsin and I don't think they tunneled from
      Germany.

      If anyone can give me any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.

      Steve in WI
    • circa_1948

        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 18, 2008
          Steve,
             Have you checked the ships that came into Galveston.  Alot of German immigrants landed there in the mid 1800;s.  That is one suggestion.  If you can find old family bibles their trip over was documented...Keep looking and do not give up.
          Laura

          I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 18, 2008
            sounds like Prussia to me :-)
            Try this group
            prussia-roots@...

            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 19, 2008
              The name now is Muskevitsch. It has been changed over the years--
              Muskavitch, Muscavitch, Muskevitch. Seems like the family liked to
              stir things up every few years by adding a vowel or removing one.

              --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "circa_1948"
              <circa_1948@...> wrote:

              > what is the name?

            • Ms Brandy Sacco
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 19, 2008
                have you tried this link?
                http://stevemorse.org/

                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 19, 2008
                  Steve:

                  Have you tried the Steve Morse site that lists passenger ships? Also, if you have a membership with Ancestry.com you might look at the census lists for the appropriate years and try and work back from that. If I come up with any other ideas will let you know.

                  Ina Getzoff
                  Metuchen, NJ

                • Shirley Patrick
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 19, 2008
                    Laura,

                    are you working on your Teer Lie?

                    Shirley Patrick
                    daughter of Margaret Teer

                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 26, 2008
                      If you can't find them through Ellis Island (New York) or Galveston
                      Texas, you might also check New Orleans. My own GGrandfather arrive
                      here from Prussia through New Orleans before first settling in Iowa
                      then to Nebraska. They traveled north via the River routes. There is
                      also the possibility that they may have entered through Canadian ports.
                    • Tom Knox
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 27, 2008
                        Steve -

                        Have you tried http://castlegarden.org/ ?
                        Before Ellis Island, there was Castle Garden (before 1892) . . .

                        And do you have any first names of these immigrants?
                        I found a Friedrich Muschewitz age 24 arrived 6 May 1861.

                        - Tomk Knox IBSSG

                        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <steve614@...>
                        wrote:

                        > The name now is Muskevitsch. It has been changed over the years--
                        > Muskavitch, Muscavitch, Muskevitch. Seems like the family liked to
                        > stir things up every few years by adding a vowel or removing one.

                      • littledi1030
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 28, 2008
                          Have you tried Canadian ports of entry?
                          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Knox"
                          <tomknox2001@...> wrote:

                          > Steve -
                          >
                          > Have you tried http://castlegarden.org/ ?
                          > Before Ellis Island, there was Castle Garden (before 1892) . . .
                          >
                          > And do you have any first names of these immigrants?
                          > I found a Friedrich Muschewitz age 24 arrived 6 May 1861.
                          >

                          > - Tomk Knox IBSSG
                          >

                          > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <steve614@>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > The name now is Muskevitsch. It has been changed over the years--
                          > > Muskavitch, Muscavitch, Muskevitch. Seems like the family liked
                          > > stir things up every few years by adding a vowel or removing
                          one.

                        • hiflyte
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 28, 2008
                            Some data with similar surnames at:
                            http://www.saxonyroots.com/Ancestors_Database/index.php?id_surname=33419&lan=en&cat=2

                            Here are a few additional Germany Gen sites that may give you assistance:

                            http://www.genealogienetz.de/vereine/maus/index.php?lang=en
                            http://www.deutsche-auswanderer-datenbank.de/index.php?id=51
                            http://rootdigger.de/Emi.htm

                            Also found the following site:
                            http://www.genealogytoday.com/surname/finder.mv?Surname=Muskavitch
                            http://distantcousin.com/SurnameResources/Surname.asp?Surname=MUSKAVITCH

                            Bob
                            Cdn
                            ======================================

                            > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                            <mailto:genealogyresearchclub%40yahoogroups.com>, <SNIP>...> > The name
                            now is Muskevitsch. It has been changed over the years--

                            > > Muskavitch, Muscavitch, Muskevitch. ...
                          • Mary E. Conley
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 2, 2008
                              Is there a website for Canadian ports of entry?

                              > Before Ellis Island, there was Castle Garden (before 1892) . . .
                              >
                              > And do you have any first names of these immigrants?
                              > I found a Friedrich Muschewitz age 24 arrived 6 May 1861.
                              >

                              > - Tomk Knox IBSSG
                              >

                              > --- In genealogyresearchcl ub@yahoogroups. com, "Steve" <steve614@>
                              > wrote:
                              > >
                              > > The name now is Muskevitsch. It has been changed over the years--
                              > > Muskavitch, Muscavitch, Muskevitch. Seems like the family liked
                              > > stir things up every few years by adding a vowel or removing
                              one.

                            • laurateer
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 28, 2009
                                --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Shirley Patrick
                                <patricktree68@...> wrote:

                                > Laura,
                                >
                                > are you working on your Teer Lie?
                                >
                                > Shirley Patrick
                                > daughter of Margaret Teer

                              • laurateer
                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 27, 2009
                                  Yes I am researching my Teer Line.

                                • ck4evr@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Mar 27, 2009
                                    Try different dates and also different spellings to the name. Also try Canada's lists. Look at the earliest census, find anyone that was with them and search for their ships records. I will search my lists and see if I have any other info from Germany. I have alot of research there.?
                                    Kathleen

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Mar 31, 2009
                                      Try using the website castlegarden.org.  It was very helpful, when nothing else worked to locate ship records. this was a port in New York. Some of my Canadian ancestors started in the States. Hope this helps. Here is where i found it http://stephenmorse.org/. Good luck!