Re: William COLLETT (AR) UPDATE

  • Tom Knox
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 16, 2008
      LOL! That's how it goes -
      behind every brickwall . . . . . is another brickwall!

      Don't let it drive you nuts -
      if your ancestors want to come out and play, they will.
      (Although sometimes it can take awhile!)

      BTW - be cautious regarding John Collett's age/birthyear.
      We have two pieces of data, conflicting:
      1900 census, age 38, born "Feb 1862"; and
      1910 census, age 66 (estimated birthyear 1844!).
      I tend to believe the 1900 data, but the 1910 data
      does raise a red flag that something's not right somewhere.
      I would try to find John and/or Mattie in 1920,
      and also try to find death records for them
      (probably Craighead County).

      And maybe you can find a library (or inter-library loan)
      that has the book "History of Craighead County, Arkansas"
      (author: Harry Lee Williams).
      Or maybe somebody who has it would perform a lookup for you.

      - Tom Knox IBSSG

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Barb"
      <mistressscorpio73@...> wrote:

      > After speaking to my Father last night and mentioning M B Mead, he
      > remembered his Dad (Willie) mentioning a "Grandma Mead", so I am
      > going to assume that the marriage record of John Collett and M.B.
      > Mead is in fact my great-grandparents, John and Mattie.
      >
      > Having assumed this, I cannot find ANYTHING on Mattie Mead, M. B.
      > Mead, or any other record linking John Collett to a Mead, other
      than the marriage record. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've
      typed in everything I can think of in regards to John Collett and
      Mattie Mead/Collett on Ancestry.com, but there's nothing. It's
      almost as if they had no parents!
      > On the census records for John and Mattie, they show that John was
      > born (1862) in Missouri and Mattie was born (1874) in Arkansas.
      > Matties parents were born in Georgia (Father) and Arkansas
      (Mother).
      > John's parents were both born in Missouri. I gathered this info
      from
      > the 1900 Census.
      >
      > I am completely stumped at this point!!

    • Tom Knox
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 16, 2008
        > I'm not sure if I posted this one yet or not -
        > Social Security Death Index
        > Name: Everett Collett
        > SSN: 431-28-5689 issued: Arkansas (Before 1951)
        > Born: 15 Feb 1906
        > Died: May 1963

        I pulled these off the Internet using Google -
        query: CRAIGHEAD ARKANSAS COLLETT GLISSON

        Nettleton Cemetery , Craighead Co. Arkansas
        http://www.couchgenweb.com/craighead/nettleton.htm
        COLLETT, EVERETT F. SR. (8) 15Feb1906-28May1963
        (Collett), ALMA P. (8) 16May1910-15Jan1999
        COLLETT, WILLIAM S. SR. (6S) 11Feb1903-11Feb1967
        (Collett), KATTIE L. (6S) 19Mar1924-9May1990
        COLLETT, ROY LEE (6S) 1Feb1941-25Jun2002
        GLISSON, HAYWOOD (8) 1Jan1894-4Dec1985
        GLISSON, KATY F. (5) 7Mar1906-19Jan1930

        CRAIGHEAD COUNTY MARRIAGES
        BRIDES BOOKS A7-A10 1937-1942
        http://www.gscca.net/Brides-A7-A10.htm
        GLISSON, Aline ----- TAYLOR, Johnnie ----- 1941 ----- A10-0041
        GLISSON, Katie ----- COLLETT, Willie ----- 1940 ----- A9-0015
        PRITCHARD, Iva ----- GLISSON, Spencer ----- 1941 ----- A10-0118
        CRAIGHEAD COUNTY MARRIAGES
        GROOMS BOOKS A7-A10 1937-1942
        http://www.gscca.net/Grooms-A7-A10.htm

        CRAIGHEAD COUNTY MARRIAGES
        GROOMS BOOKS Q-T 1916-1920
        http://www.gscca.net/Grooms-Q-T.htm
        GLISSON, Haywood ----- COLVERT, Willie ----- 1917 ----- Q-0593
        GLISSON, James ----- TAYLOR, Grace ----- 1918 ----- R-0429
        GLISSON, Joe ----- STONEBROKER, Callie ----- 1920 ----- T-0409

        These last entries trace back to the
        Genealogy Society of Craighead County Arkansas
        http://www.gscca.net/

        JAMES JOSEPH ROBERT LEE GLISSON OBITUARY
        http://tinyurl.com/59aktd
        March 19, 1965 Jonesboro Sun
        James Joseph Glisson, 83, of Route 2, Trumann died yesterday
        afternoon at 1:30 at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Katy Collett. He
        was a native of Kentucky, ... Other survivors include two sons,
        Spencer Glisson of West Memphis and J R Glisson of Naylor, Mo.; three
        other daughters, ... and two brothers, Haywood Glisson of Jonesboro,
        and Charlie Glisson of Florida; ...
        NOTE:
        Interesting! The obit claims he was "a native of Kentucky".
        He appears (apparently) as James R/15 in 1900, Joe/21 in 1910,
        Joe/28 in 1920 (& Susie), and Joe/46 (& Callie) in 1930.

        Mattie B. Collet in Lake City Cemetery
        Born abt April 1874 AR, died May 2,1933, Craighead County, AR
        The Jonesboro Daily Tribune- PNEUMONIA FATAL LAKE CITY WOMAN
        http://tinyurl.com/6g5h28
        Funeral services for Mrs. Mattie B Collett, 59, were held at Lake
        City this afternoon at two o'clock with Gregg Funeral home in charge.
        Interment was in the Lake City cemetery. Mrs. Collett, died Tuesday
        afternoon at two o'clock following a short illiness of pneumonia. She
        is survived by two sons, Everette and William.

        Craighead County Arkansas Cemeteries
        http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~arcemete/craighead/craighead.htm
        Nettleton Cemetery, Craighead County, Arkansas
        http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~arcemete/craighead/nettleton.htm

        Surname genealogy forums
        http://genforum.genealogy.com/collett/
        http://genforum.genealogy.com/glisson/
        http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.collett/mb.ashx

        County genealogy forum (for Craighead County)
        (at Ancestry.com) http://tinyurl.com/6alcjz
        specifically, this next message
        http://tinyurl.com/5h9ymw
        subject: Needham West/1800/Lenoir Co., NC to Craighead Co., AR
        (near bottom of message)
        Susan Anna West b. Mar 1859 MO
        d. Jan 25, 1930 Nettleton, Craighead Co., AR
        + Joe R. Glisson b. 1852 Nettleton, Craighead Co., AR
        d. Nov 5, 1931 Nettleton, Craighead Co., AR

        Noble & West Family Of Craighead Co. Arkansas
        http://www.couchgenweb.com/family/noble.htm
        (and search the webpage for name GLISSON)
        3-- Susanna WEST-50 (1859- ) Missouri
        sp-Joseph R. GLISSON-53 (1852-1931) Kentucky
        4-- Ida GLISSON-63 (1870- ) Leachville,Mississippi Co.,AR
        sp-Benjamin Arvlee THOMAS-70
        4-- James R. GLISSON-64 (1884-) Leachville,Mississippi Co.,AR
        sp-Susan ENLOE-71
        sp-Callie STONEBRAKER-72
        4-- Sally A. GLISSON-65 (1886- ) Nettleton,Craighead Co. AR
        sp-Earl MEREDITH-73
        4-- Cora L. GLISSON-622 (1890- ) Nettleton,Craighead Co. AR
        4-- Cordela GLISSON-623 (1892- ) Nettleton,Craighead Co. AR
        4-- Haywood GLISON-67 (1854- ) Kentucky
        4-- Nancy GLISSON-624 (1895- ) Nettleton,Craighead Co. AR
        4-- Charles GLISSON-68 (1898- ) Nettleton,Craighead Co. AR
        4-- Lee GLISSON-66 (1900- ) Nettleton,Craighead Co. AR
        sp-Martha WHITE-74
        4-- Jerry GLISSON-69 (1902- ) Nettleton,Craighead Co. AR
        NOTE: I've shortened this up - look at the website.

        http://listsearches.rootsweb.com/th/read/ARCRAIGH/2002-02/1012960148
        From: "Linda Hill" <l1326h@...>
        Subject: [ARCRAIGH] Stonebraker & Glisson
        Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 19:49:40 -0600
        Darlene,
        Have you seen what they have in the History of Craighead County,
        Arkansas? They gave info. on page 506 & 507.
        Rocky Lynn

        - Tom Knox IBSSG "Bloodhound"
      • Barbara Collett
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 16, 2008
          Tom,

          You are a super-sleuth! lol This info is amazing! I spent quite a bit of time trying to find information for Craighead/Poinsett counties in Arkansas a few days ago, looking for any little scrap of information I could find...and came up with very little. Guess I should be using Google instead of Yahoo Search!

          THANK YOU! Oh...and I will definitely be saving as many of the original scanned documents as possible. I would like to print them out and add them to an album. I really appreciate all the help! :)