Norton research

  • Barry Norton
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31 1:52 PM
      Just joined the Genealogy group and see that you are researching Nortons from Ireland. My 5th Great-grandfather was Edward Norton born abt 1715 in Armagh, Ulster, Ireland. He was in the US by 1733 when he attended the marriage of his sister Mary in Chester Co., PA as cited in the Nottingham Quaker records. His marriage is recorded in the same records in 1739. Their father was Edward born about 1687 in Armagh  and was deceased at the time of their marriages per those same Quaker records.  Their grandfather(my 7thGGF) married a Jame Grimes abt 1860 in Carlow, Ireland. It was her second marriage. Her first was to a William Rose in 1654. Quaker records found at Swarthmore College near Phila, PA have confirmed this.  If any of this sounds familiar I would love to swap info with you.

    • Jerry Harris
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2008
        I am seeking information on James B. Norton born about 1823. I found him in
        1850, 1860 and 1870 census in Hinsdale, Cattaraugus County, NY w/ wife Julia
        (maiden name?), and children Ida , Bela - my great-grandfather, and Emmet,
        Frank, and Valetta .

        _____

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 2008
          Nortons - my trail starts in Bathgate Scotland 1855 era. Patrick
          Norton born abt 1842 Ireland - his parents listed as Michael Norton
          and Mary Dunn(e)- Ireland. There are a number of other Nortons in the
          Census data for Bathgate and one lists Queens as his place of origin,
          this could have been Queen's County or maybe Queenstown/Cohb. I have
          not officially connected these Nortons to each other yet but appear to
          have the same parents (well names at least) one never jumps in when it
          comes to Irish naming patterns could be another line but married to
          someone with the same names.
          So I have next to Nil on the Norton in Ireland prior to coming to Scotland
          My research is basically in Scotland and Ireland since I know where
          most of the canadian norton are from but am attempting to connect
          Annie Drummond (Norton) in the 1901/1911 Toronto Canada census to the
          family in Scotland --maybe a sister of the Bathgate Norton families.

          I host a website with Norton data mainly from Scotland and Ireland
          Always adding data to the site - when time permits
          http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hiflyte/
          or
          http://hiflyte.22web.net/

          Have a nice day
          Bob
          Cdn
          ======================================
          <SNIP>
          ... In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Harris"
          <lionopt1@...> wrote:

          I am seeking information on James B. Norton born about 1823. I found
          him in...
          =====================================
        • Bob
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 2, 2008
            Posted a reply to this message via the Web Post this AM and it seems
            to have disappeared. So this message is to see what happens when it
            is sent via the Web Post

            Is this list modulated?

            Bob
            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Barry Norton
          • Tina Stedman
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 3, 2008
              Yes, the list is moderated to prevent spam which the group receives
              alot of. Sorry your message was not posted sooner. I was at a family
              reunion doing genealogy!!!!!

              Tina