death certificate

  • alchaley
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 25, 2008
      how do you go about getting a death certificate on someone who died in
      harris county (texas) in 2004? any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    • Shirley Patrick
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 25, 2008
        If you are in Texas go to the closest County court house cost is between 20 and 25 dollars.

        if you are out of state go to State of Texas web site  google it.  you can order on line for about 2 or 3 dollars more.

        how do you go about getting a death certificate on someone who died in
        harris county (texas) in 2004? any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

      • Louise
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 25, 2008
          Only family members can obtain one. Usually the doctor who pronounced the person dead issues it.

          Never forget that there is always a blue sky and shining sun above the darkest clouds.

          how do you go about getting a death certificate on someone who died in
          harris county (texas) in 2004? any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

        • Sharon
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 25, 2008
            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "alchaley" <alchaley@...>
            wrote:

            > how do you go about getting a death certificate on someone who died
            in
            > harris county (texas) in 2004? any suggestions are greatly
            appreciated.

            If you google "Texas Death certificates" (without the quotation marks)
            you will get several sites; the third one down (the link to the state
            vital statistics) is the one you want to check out. It will give you
            info on how to order the certificate, and the costs.
          • Shirley Patrick
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 26, 2008
              If it is an old death certificate check with the local Genealogy society.  They sometimes be come the repository of old records that counties do not have the space to store.

              Only family members can obtain one. Usually the doctor who pronounced the person dead issues it.

              Never forget that there is always a blue sky and shining sun above the darkest clouds.

              how do you go about getting a death certificate on someone who died in
              harris county (texas) in 2004? any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

            • Roginator
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 4, 2008
                > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "alchaley" <alchaley@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > how do you go about getting a death certificate on someone who died
                > in
                > > harris county (texas) in 2004? any suggestions are greatly
                > appreciated.

                Too bad it isn't a bit older (pre 1977). You could get it here:
                http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#
              • circa_1948
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 5, 2008
                  scroll down to grid
                  http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/vs/reqproc/deathcert.shtm

                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 5, 2008
                    Just as I said...and most states are the same...

                    Death certificates for deaths within the past 25 years are considered protected records, and TexasOnline has the following requirements for requesting these records:

                    If you live in Texas, you can order the records of your immediate family members. If you live outside Texas, you must be the surviving spouse of the deceased, a parent of the deceased or the funeral director of the funeral home on the record.