Re: [Genealogy Research Club] disappearing act

  • Lisa Keene
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 5, 2008
      It took some doing but it finally hit me that my grandmother's maiden name was not Chasteen.
      Her name was Mabel K. Schasteen
      and now things are a bit harder. Cannot find her on any census,before she married my grandfather.
      I did find out that her mother's name was Estella, from the 1930 census.
      And I am hopeing the man I found was her father, Charles H. Schasteen.
      Thank you for suggesting the misspelling!!
      Lisa

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 7, 2008
        wood your hubby be related to the garner family line

        porkchop   check this genealogy site out     looking 4 kin

        From: Barbara Sack <bsack@.... com>

        To: genealogyresearchcl ub@yahoogroups. com

        Date: Tuesday, June 10, 2008, 2:11 PM

        >How could 2 brothers disappear for 30 years?

        >I have both my grandfather and my great uncle on the 1900 census.

        >After that nothing, till 1930, when my grandfather- -James Daniel

        >Stringer & his brother show up. And my grandfather is married to my

        >grandmother Mable Chasteen,and living in California.

        >My grandfather & his brother were from Texas, my grandmother was from

        >Missouri.

        >Any advice??

        >Thank You

        >Lisa

        Several possibilities: their names were misspelled or mis-transcribed

        in the census. Or they were moving around for work and weren't counted.

        I found them in the WWI draft registration - on June 17, 1917, they

        were farmers near Pavala, Fisher County, TX. James listed only

        himself as dependant; Herbert listed his grandmother. Not sure why

        they don't show up in the 1910 census, but I didn't look under

        grandmother' s name (probably the one shown in 1900 census).

        Have you looked for Mable Chasteen to see how many censuses she was

        in under her maiden name to narrow down the time of their

        marriage? Or maybe both families moved to CA where the marriage took place.

        Good luck.

        Barbara

      • Tom Knox
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 7, 2008
          Lisa -

          > 1930 South Gate, Los Angeles, CA
          > Stringer, James D/40:TX:TX:TX/driver
          > (), Mabel K/22:MO:IL:KS/wife
          > Chasteen, Estella/52:KS:IL:TN/M-in-law
          > Stringer, Herbert/36:TX:TX:TX/brother/barber

          How about this string of documents?
          Includes both Mable and Stella . . .

          1920 Pittsburg Ward 2, Crawford, Kansas
          Schasteen, Charles, head 45 married born IL:Germany:Germany
          - "Moulder, Foundry"
          (), Stella, wife 41 married born KS:IL:TN
          (), Charles H, son 14 born MO:IL:KS
          (), Mable C, daughter 12 born MO:IL:KS
          Zimmerman, Anna/roomer/37, Elizabeth/roomer/39

          1910 (Marion Twp) Carthage Ward 5, Jasper, MO
          (indexed as SCHASTEAN but could be read as SCHASTEEN)
          Schastean, Charles H, head 36 married.1 18 yrs born IL:unk:unk
          - Foundry Moulder
          (), Stella, wife 37?* married.1 18 yrs born KS:IL:TN
          - 9 children 5 living (all children marked as born MO:IL:KS)
          (), Frank L/son/17, Samuel M/son/19, John L/son/12, Charles H/son/5
          (), Mable C, daughter 2
          NOTES: * Stella indexed as age=37, but it looks like 33.

          1900 (Marion Twp) Carthage Ward 3, Jasper, Missouri
          Chastine, Charles H, head 26 married 8 yrs born Jan 1874 OH:OH:OH
          - "Moulder, Iron"
          (), Stella, wife 23 married 8 yrs born Mar 1877 KS:OH:IN
          - 3 children 3 living
          (), Frank, son 6 born July 1893 MO:OH:KS
          (), Sanborn, son 3 born Jan 1897 MO:OH:KS
          (), John, son 2 born Feb 1898 MO:OH:KS
          NOTE: Sanborn is probably Samuel M.

          Name: Frank Lybarger Schasteen
          City: Carthage, Jasper, Missouri
          Birthplace: Carthage, MO
          Birth Date: 24 Jul 1893
          married; machinist, Vogey Mine
          ==========
          Name: Sameul Montell Schasteen
          County: Jasper County, Missouri
          Birthplace: Carthage, MO
          Birth Date: 23 Jan 1896
          single; miner; 3 yrs previous military service (state)
          NOTE: is probably Samuel M.

          Missouri Marriage Records, 1805-2002
          Name: Frank L Schasteen
          Spouse Name: Jessie Kingsbury
          Marriage Date: 23 Dec 1916
          Marriage Location: Carthage, Jasper, Missouri
          Marriage County: Jasper

          Missouri National Guard, the Mexican Border, 1916
          Name: Samuel M. Schasteen
          Rank: Private
          COMPANY: Company G
          REGIMENT: Second Infantry
          Page #: 167
          Organized: Joplin

          California Death Index, 1940-1997
          Name: Estella L Schasteen
          Sex: FEMALE
          Birth Date: 13 Mar 1876
          Birthplace: Kansas
          Death Date: 8 Aug 1965
          Death Place: Kern
          Mother's Maiden Name: Swofford

          - Tom Knox IBSSG "Bloodhound"

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Keene
          <keenetrio@...> wrote:

          > It took some doing but it finally hit me that my grandmother's maiden
          name was not Chasteen.
          > Her name was Mabel K. Schasteen
          > and now things are a bit harder. Cannot find her on any census,before
          she married my grandfather.
          > I did find out that her mother's name was Estella, from the 1930
          census.
          > And I am hopeing the man I found was her father, Charles H. Schasteen.
          > Thank you for suggesting the misspelling!!
          > Lisa
        • Tom Knox
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 7, 2008
            Lisa -

            (read other message first)

            California Death Index, 1940-1997
            Name: Charles Henry Schasteen
            Birth Date: 19 Jan 1872
            Birthplace: Illinois
            Death Date: 4 Aug 1948
            Death Place: Kern
            Mother's Maiden Name: Inman
            Father's Surname: Schasteen
            ==========
            Name: Estella L Schasteen
            Birth Date: 13 Mar 1876
            Birthplace: Kansas
            Death Date: 8 Aug 1965
            Death Place: Kern
            Mother's Maiden Name: Swofford
            ==========
            Name: Samuel M Schasteen
            Social Security #: 554072286
            Birth Date: 23 Jan 1896
            Birthplace: Missouri
            Death Date: 29 May 1968
            Death Place: Kern
            Mother's Maiden Name: Lybarger

            So -
            Charles Henry Schasteen (b.IL) married Estella Lybarger (b.KS)
            (married circa 1892);
            Charles' mother's maiden name INMAN;
            Estella's mother's maiden name SWOFFORD.

            These are possible matches -

            1880 Cherokee Twp, Montgomery, Kansas - SD 1 ED 15 Page 7C
            Lyberger, Valantin, 32 Farmer born OH:OH:(VT?)
            (), Mary, wife 25 born TN:SC:SC
            (), Estella, daughter 3 born KS:OH:TN
            (), ?Amer(?Omer) E, son 9m born "Sept" born KS:OH:TN
            NOTE: next door is another LYBERGER household.

            Kansas State Census Collection, 1855-1915
            Name: Valentine Lybarger
            Census Date: 1 Mar 1875
            Residence: Cherokee, Montgomery, Kansas
            Birth Location: Ohio
            Family Number: 68
            Gender: Male
            Estimated Birth Year: abt 1848
            Race: White
            Line: 39
            Roll: ks1875_14
            =====
            1875 Cherokee, Montgomery, Kansas
            Lybarger, Valentine/27:OH, Mary/22:TN, Rhoda/5m:KS

            1880 Freedom, Bourbon, Kansas
            Birch, S S, 24 married Farmer born IN:OH:OH
            (), Lizzie, wife 25 married born MO:MO:MO
            Chasteen, Charles H, "no relation" 8 born IL:(IL):(IL)

            <keenetrio@...> wrote:

            > It took some doing but it finally hit me that my grandmother's maiden
            name was not Chasteen.
            > Her name was Mabel K. Schasteen
            > and now things are a bit harder. Cannot find her on any census,before
            she married my grandfather.
            > I did find out that her mother's name was Estella, from the 1930
            census.
            > And I am hopeing the man I found was her father, Charles H. Schasteen.
            > Thank you for suggesting the misspelling!!
            > Lisa
          • Lisa Keene
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 13, 2008
              i am not understanding your question