linking slaves to there owners

  • MICHEAL
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 6 9:43 AM
      I have traced my family back to my great-great-great grandmother but
      can't find any records of how her and her parents came from Africa
      Help please.
    • mg
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 7 11:20 AM
        Good luck.  It is one of the great tragedies of the world how this all happened.  I can't help as I am such an amateur...that is great that you have gotten that far.  I would certainly go sideways looking for second cousins etc.  I presume you have seen the PBS shows on searching for African American ancestors..and there is a great book about Oprah and her search.  And there are now the DNA studies that can be very helpful.  I think more records wil emerge in old courthouses or wherever over he years.

        Do you know the general area?  The state?  County?

        I am ashamed to say that I have found out my mother's ancestors were slave owners.  I would not have thougt this possible since they were so poor, and religious...but that might have been her branch.  I was looking up Obediah Cornwall (Cornwell?), her great grandfather I think..or grandfather even..and there it was on Ancestry.com.

        I do apologize retroactively for my family's involvement in this shameful past.  mg