Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Another prison inmate.....

  • Sue
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 3, 2008
      Excellent idea - I'll try it! Thanks!

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "circa_1948"
      <circa_1948@...> wrote:

      > have you contacted the local historical society and genealogical
      society?
      > Most prisons and asylums I've needed info on inmates from had
      records stored with those, mainly the historical society.
      > I've received many records from them for the cost of pages printed
      out for me.
      > sunny

      NY
      > State Matteawan State Hospital for the Criminally Insane. No
      living
      > member of the family can answer why he was there, and I cannot
      locate
      > any records (NY State's lookup is primarily recent prisoners. My
      G-
      > Uncle was incarcerated shortly after WWI, and his daughter was
      able to
      > get him out in the mid-to-late 1960s.)
      >
      > He was born in New York City 17 Nov 1896. Parents were Joseph
      Henery
      > Hyland and Annie (Keegan)Hyland. He married Mary Waters in New
      York
      > City (date unknown)and they had one daughter. He appears on the
      1900
      > and 1910 census records with his parents in Manhattan, and in the
      1930
      > census as an inmate in Matteawan, Beacon, NY. There is a
      possibility
      > that he was in Detroit in 1920, but that has not been confirmed.
      >
      > When his daughter gained his release she moved him down to
      Florida,
      > where he died in 1976.
      >
      > Can someone give me some suggestions?

    • Sue
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 3, 2008
        Unfortunately, they don't have the records. THe only place they seem
        to reside is at the state level, but I can't figure out where.

        http://www.correctionhistory.org/html/chronicl/docs2day/fishkill.html

      • circa_1948
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 3, 2008
          is this any help?
          http://www.archives.nysed.gov/a/research/res_topics_legal_corrections_inst_fishkill.shtml#fcf

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 20, 2008
            Hello,
              I also had a great-uncle who was in Mattewan State Prison.  I have the same problem you have....no one wants to talk about it.
            Vincent DeLuca was born in 1892 and I don't know when he passed away.  I can't find him anywhere in census records.
            I would like to know when he passed, and exactly how long he stayed in prison.

            Prison records seem to be hard to find.  I'm in Texas now, so getting info from NY is not easy.

            Debbie

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 21, 2008
                  Debbie
                  My name is Ruby and I live in Minnesota. Why I am writing is your Oney name, I was married into a family that had the Oney name, and  if you can tell me a little about that name  I may or may not have Oney information you might be looking for.
                  Ruby

                  Ruby