Looking for Death record

  • xdaysofyouthx
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 2, 2008
      I have one big hole in my genealogy research. My great grandmother
      has no record of death. There is no death certificate or record on
      file, no record at the cemetery where she should have been buried (the
      only one in town, her husband who died 50 years later is there, and
      they attended the cemetery's church). She would have died between
      1925-1927.

      She gave birth to a son in 1925 and by 1927 her husband was remarried
      and had a son with the new wife. We have used ancestry.com, the city
      library where all deaths in the county are recorded, and town hall of
      where she lived. Also, there is no possibility of divorce, my
      grandmother has always said her mother died when she was a kid.

      I have been advised to look at the health dept. for a burial permit
      but only funeral directors are apparently allowed to see them. Also
      have been told to look at area funeral homes to see if they have a
      record. But why would the state, county, and town have no record of
      her death? Why would she be buried somewhere else? The only place I
      have left to look is the church that she married at, maybe she was
      buried through that cemetery.

      Anywhere else I could look?

      Thanks.
    • michael wolcott
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2008

        This may be a tedious suggestion, but you might try looking through the obituary column of the local newspaper - check to see if the newspaper may have been indexed by the local library and/or historical association.

        You can always do an interlibrary lending and hope that the newspaper placed obituaries in the same place in the newspaper - or hopefully, the newspaper has an index.

        Since there was a 2nd marriage - it might be helpful for you - if you don't know - find out when the second marriage occurred - in this way you know that she passed before the date of the 2nd marriage.

        Not everyone waited a year after a person passed in order to remarry.

        Another thought is that many places used to have what is called a city directory which would tell one about business, and where people lived, and some city directories indicated when a spouse had passed - in some instances, rarely though, the death date may be provided.  Usually the phrase "dec." [for deceased] would follow a name, or maybe
         d. [died or dead] or the phrase "wid." [for widow, widower] might also be used.  Some city directories came out yearly, others every few years.
        Check the local library or historical association to see if they have these city directories, or know where the old directories might be located (on microfilm).

        Lastly, could she have died in childbirth or soon after due to complications?  It certainly did happen quite often back then.  Again, check the local newspaper to see when the child was born how the mother was doing - generally, there are birth annoucements.

        Good Luck!

        Mike

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2008
          This may sound basic but have you check:
          The newspapers for both the town she lived in and her parents home?
          The cemetery where her parents and/or siblings are burried?
          Any chance of cremation?
          Any story of the family being on vacation at the time of her death & she was buried there?

          Maybe this will spark some additional thoughts.
          Mary

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 3, 2008
            My suggestion is to look for her parents' graves - perhaps they had a family cemetery...
            Diane S
          • xdaysofyouthx
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 3, 2008
              Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

              We tried looking at the Lackawanna newspaper (the town she lived) but
              the library only has certain years and of course the years we need are
              not there. I am thinking that maybe it would be in the Buffalo
              Newspaper which covered a wider area but we want to narrow the time
              frame before looking through 3 years of papers. Death during
              childbirth is definitely possible. Is there anyway that the hospital
              would have a record I could look at?

              We are going to look for the parents graves next week.

              Has anyone else run into this problem? Is it just because record
              keeping wasn't perfect then and that is why she doesn't show up on any
              official records?

              I will update if we find anything new next week.

              Thanks.
            • kim_donley
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 3, 2008
                Can u give us a name and some dates? I have Newspaper archive and
                can see if i can find an obit there. There is also RAOGK u can try
                there.............KIM

                --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "xdaysofyouthx"
                <xdaysofyouthx@...> wrote:

                > I have one big hole in my genealogy research. My great grandmother
                > has no record of death. There is no death certificate or record on
                > file, no record at the cemetery where she should have been buried
                (the
                > only one in town, her husband who died 50 years later is there, and
                > they attended the cemetery's church). She would have died between
                > 1925-1927.
                >
                > She gave birth to a son in 1925 and by 1927 her husband was
                remarried
                > and had a son with the new wife. We have used ancestry.com, the
                city
                > library where all deaths in the county are recorded, and town hall
                of
                > where she lived. Also, there is no possibility of divorce, my
                > grandmother has always said her mother died when she was a kid.
                >
                > I have been advised to look at the health dept. for a burial permit
                > but only funeral directors are apparently allowed to see them.
                Also
                > have been told to look at area funeral homes to see if they have a
                > record. But why would the state, county, and town have no record
                of
                > her death? Why would she be buried somewhere else? The only
                place I
                > have left to look is the church that she married at, maybe she was
                > buried through that cemetery.
                >
                > Anywhere else I could look?
                >
                > Thanks.

              • xdaysofyouthx
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 3, 2008
                  Her name is Stefania Kloc (maiden name Pasterz or Pocstez, her parents
                  last name was spelled Pasterz and her immigration record it is, but
                  marriage license is spelled Pocstez). She gave birth November 3,
                  1924. That is the last time we know she was alive. By 1927 her
                  husband was remarried and had a child with the new wife. In the 1930
                  census the son was 3 years 4 months. We are hoping to find the
                  marriage application or license for the second marriage to narrow the
                  time frame.

                  --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "kim_donley"