Hi I am a newbie.

  • Harold E. Jones
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2008
      Hello Everyone,
      I am new to this group and live in South Australia. I am hoping that I can receive help to find some missing information in my search into my Family History.
      I have a request if someone can help me with some information on my Great Grandparents.
      Edward Henry JONES was born in Wales in 1826 and was apparently a ship's steward as one of his many occupations.
      Annie Jane JAMES was born in Ireland [possibly Galway ???] about the same time. They travelled to the USA whether together or separately is uncertain. They were married in the Tabernacle Baptist Church, New York City on 6th Aug 1854.
      They then travelled to Australia in 1854 or 1855, where they went to the goldfields at Sebastopol, Victoria.  Any help in discovering ports of departure and arrival and names of vessells would be much appreciated. These answers could fil in  "a few gaps" in my research.
      with thanks in anticipation,
      koalaSA [aka Harold]

      www.yahoo7.com.au/mail

    • AWP
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2, 2008
        Hi Harold

        Have you searched the Victorian Public Record Office Index to
        Unassisted Inward Passenger Lists to Victoria 1852-1923,

        See URL below.

        http://proarchives.imagineering.com.au/index_search.asp?searchid=23

        The F in Ports stands for Foreign Ports.

        There are a few Mr and Mrs Jones arriving shown from foreign ports listed.

        It is also worth knowing that many people landed in SA then walked
        overland to the Ballarat area. Wheteher this happened with your
        rellies I could not say. I am not sure what shipping route they would
        have taken from America seeing you have them marrying in New York.

        I dont know if there is an American Site giving exit details.

        Regards

        awp_44 aka Alan
        http://awp44.homestead.com/HomePage.html

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Harold E. Jones"
        <koalasa@...> wrote:

        > Hello Everyone,
        > I am new to this group and live in South Australia. I am hoping that
        I can receive help to find some missing information in my search
        into my Family History.
        > I have a request if someone can help me with some information on my
        Great Grandparents.
        > Edward Henry JONES was born in Wales in 1826 and was apparently a
        ship's steward as one of his many occupations.
        > Annie Jane JAMES was born in Ireland [possibly Galway ???] about the
        same time. They travelled to the USA whether together or separately is
        uncertain. They were married in the Tabernacle Baptist Church, New
        York City on 6th Aug 1854.
        > They then travelled to Australia in 1854 or 1855, where they went
        to the goldfields at Sebastopol, Victoria. Any help in discovering
        ports of departure and arrival and names of vessells would be much
        appreciated. These answers could fil in "a few gaps" in my research.
        > with thanks in anticipation,
        > koalaSA [aka Harold]
        >

        > Get the name you always wanted with the new y7mail email address.
        > www.yahoo7.com.au/mail

      • Harold E. Jones
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 6, 2008
          Tnank you Alan for your suggestion. I will follow it up and hopefully
          be able to fill in the gaps in my Family History research.
          Live large and enjoy your life,
          Harold.