JNO?? Hyland

  • genealsue
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 29, 2008
      Can anyone help me figure out what the designation "JNO" means?

      I am researching the ships' registries from Ancestry.com, looking for
      my ggrandfather Joseph Hyland's arrival in New York City, somewhere
      between 1883 and 1885. My sort is the last name, and when I get to
      the 'Js', after James, Jessie, Jenkins, etc there are a whole list of
      JNO as a first name.

      I'm stumped. Anyone have any ideas??

      genealSUE
    • Adrienne Heuer
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 29, 2008
        I think it is an abbreviation for John or Johnathon or variations.

        Adrienne
        Texas

        On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 2:09 PM, genealsue <genealsue@...> wrote:

        > Can anyone help me figure out what the designation "JNO" means?
        >
        > I am researching the ships' registries from Ancestry.com, looking for
        > my ggrandfather Joseph Hyland's arrival in New York City, somewhere
        > between 1883 and 1885. My sort is the last name, and when I get to
        > the 'Js', after James, Jessie, Jenkins, etc there are a whole list of
        > JNO as a first name.
        >
        > I'm stumped. Anyone have any ideas??
        >
        > genealSUE

      • circa_1948

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 29, 2008
            JNO  stood for Jonathan-

            Kate

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 30, 2008
              "Jno" is an abbreviation for "John" -
              refer to FAQ "What is Jno short for?"
              http://www.woodgate.org/FAQs/socgbrit.html#FAQ12

              I recall an old document that used "Jn"
              (Uppercase J, superscript n) that I assume also meant John.

              A longer list of abbreviated names at (pdf file)
              http://immigrants.byu.edu/Downloads/BritishNames.pdf

              - Tom Knox IBSSG

              --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "genealsue"
              <genealsue@...> wrote:

              > Can anyone help me figure out what the designation "JNO" means?
              >
              > I am researching the ships' registries from Ancestry.com, looking for
              > my ggrandfather Joseph Hyland's arrival in New York City, somewhere
              > between 1883 and 1885. My sort is the last name, and when I get to
              > the 'Js', after James, Jessie, Jenkins, etc there are a whole list of
              > JNO as a first name.
              >
              > I'm stumped. Anyone have any ideas??
              >
              > genealSUE

            • Sue