Hello Everyone and thanks for allowing me to join

  • Sarah W.
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 22, 2008
      Hello everyone and thank you for allowing me to join this group. I
      have been researching my paternal roots for several years now but keep
      going in circles and hitting roadblocks. I am very hopeful of learning
      more avenues of research with this group.

      The surnames I'm researching are Bass, Horowitz and Shore.

      William Bass (born 9/13/1911) is my paternal grandfather. His parents
      were named Joseph Bass and Mary (I do not know her maiden name). I
      know William was born in Chicago, Ill. but moved and was raised in PA.
      He died in March of 1964 and is buried I think, in Montauk, Long
      Island, NY.

      Sarah and Jacob Horowitz are the main ones I have been researching.
      They are my paternal great-grandparents on my dad's mother's side.
      This is where I get the most confused and the most roadblocks as there
      seem to be a lot of discrepancies in dates.

      Sarah's maiden name was Shore and she was born in Russia. (B.-July 4,
      1893 or 94. D.-May 4, 1974) I recently found out (but have no proof)
      that she was born in Kiev, Russia. She came to America as a child
      around age 10 with her grandparents instead of her parents (from what
      I'm told, but again no proof). In the 1920 Census record it said she
      came here in 1908, but in the 1930 Census record it said she came here
      in 1912. I'm not sure why the difference.

      The same went for Jacob. (B.-May 15, 1888, D.-Jan. 13, 1955) In 1920
      it said he came here in 1908, but in the 1930 it showed he came here
      in 1910. Both records show they were Naturalized though, but I
      haven't found anything on that either. Jacob died in a hospital in
      Richmond, Virginia but I haven't been able to obtain a copy of the
      death certificate yet.

      In 1920 they lived in New Haven, Connecticut, New Haven County, and in
      1930 they lived in New Hanover County, NC. I did find their graves as
      they are both buried in Wilmington, NC.
      Any help and guidance is greatly appreciated.
      Thanks again for letting me be a part of your group.
      Sarah L. Winkler