Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Bergsten

  • Barbara Sack
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 18, 2008
      Where did they live? Approx dates? Any children?

      At 11:11 AM 6/18/2008, you wrote:

      >I am searching for my great grandparents, John E. Bergsten (also Johan
      >E.) or Bretta Lena (Johnson) Bergsten. I have found some information
      >on them, but can't locate anything on their parents or siblings. Any
      >help would be appreciated.

    • marybethmarrsx
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 18, 2008
        John was born 18 February 1866 or 1868 in Stockholm, Sweden. Bretta
        Lena (who was also called Betty) was 7 August 1872 in Gutenberg,
        Sweden. He died in 1914 - 1915 inb Bonesteel, SD and she died 20
        June 1962 in Phoenix, AZ. The family legend is that they changed
        their name from Carlson when they arrived in the US, and then one son
        changed it back to Carlson, but I have never found any reference to
        them except as Bergsten. Thanks for any help.

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Sack
        <bsack@...> wrote:

        > Where did they live? Approx dates? Any children?
        >
        > At 11:11 AM 6/18/2008, you wrote:
        >
        > >I am searching for my great grandparents, John E. Bergsten (also
        Johan
        > >E.) or Bretta Lena (Johnson) Bergsten. I have found some
        information
        > >on them, but can't locate anything on their parents or siblings.
        Any
        > >help would be appreciated.

        6/18/2008 7:09 AM

      • Barbara Sack
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 19, 2008
          I found them in the 1900 census in Chicago and in the 1910 census in
          Gaughen, Gregory Co, SD. I did notice their infant son born in 1899
          isn't with them in SD, so must have died. In the 1930 census I found
          Betty in Chicago with oldest child Arthur (in US Army) and another
          small child Amy 7 (but not Horton with them in SD). I take it you
          have this info; if not I'll email you direct with the census pages as
          an attachment, if you say that's okay. The 1900 census shows month
          and year of birth; John: April 1867, Betty May 1872. Both immigrated
          1892, married 1895.

          Ancestry: South Dakota Death Index 1905-1955 shows a John E.
          Bergsten, Gregory County, died 15 March 1915.

          I went to the 1900 Census, to Chicago, Cook County, and searched on
          Bergsten; I found several males in the same ward as John who could be
          his brother - my thinking was that he might have gone to Chicago vs
          staying close to the port city he arrived in because he had family in
          Chicago. Names: Sam, Axel, Oscar.

          You might try going to the Mormon site, familysearch.org, which is
          free, and looking there too.

          If you don't have access to ancestry and would like more info from
          above, please let me know.

          At 04:50 PM 6/18/2008, you wrote:

          >John was born 18 February 1866 or 1868 in Stockholm, Sweden. Bretta
          >Lena (who was also called Betty) was 7 August 1872 in Gutenberg,
          >Sweden. He died in 1914 - 1915 inb Bonesteel, SD and she died 20
          >June 1962 in Phoenix, AZ. The family legend is that they changed
          >their name from Carlson when they arrived in the US, and then one son
          >changed it back to Carlson, but I have never found any reference to
          >them except as Bergsten. Thanks for any help.
          >
          >--- In
          ><mailto:genealogyresearchclub%40yahoogroups.com>genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com,
          >Barbara Sack
          ><bsack@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Where did they live? Approx dates? Any children?

        • tfw4321
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 22, 2008
            sounds like something I ran into. They all were from Chicago, but a
            great Aunt was not on the 1910 census. After finding a distant cousin
            who said that among other things she had homesteaded in South Dakota. I
            don't remember exactly where I found it but she was on a homestead
            index. Then I found her on the census. I sent to the library of
            congress for copies of those records. She returned to Chicago after a
            few years. I seem to remember reading that the Chicago & Northwestern RR

            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, marybethmarrsx
            <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > I am searching for my great grandparents, John E. Bergsten (also
            Johan
            > E.) or Bretta Lena (Johnson) Bergsten. I have found some information
            > on them, but can't locate anything on their parents or siblings. Any
            > help would be appreciated.

          • Clark & Rita Pederson
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 24, 2008
              Bergsten, Johan E.: Did you locate his homestead information on the
              government land records website:

              http://www.glorecords.blm.gov/PatentSearch/Detail.asp?Accession=227534
              <http://www.glorecords.blm.gov/PatentSearch/Detail.asp?Accession=227534&Ind
              ex=1&QryID=73812%2E66&DetailTab=1> &Index=1&QryID=73812%2E66&DetailTab=1
              On the documents tab you can download a free pdf file of the homestead
              patent award.

              For other researchers with ancestors who had homesteads the website is
              http://www.glorecords.blm.gov/PatentSearch/

              Using the Standards tab you can search by state, county, township and
              range and find the names of neighbors who may have descendants who married
              into your family.

              Clark

              Oregon

              _____

              sounds like something I ran into. They all were from Chicago, but a
              great Aunt was not on the 1910 census. After finding a distant cousin
              who said that among other things she had homesteaded in South Dakota. I
              don't remember exactly where I found it but she was on a homestead
              index. Then I found her on the census. I sent to the library of
              congress for copies of those records. She returned to Chicago after a
              few years. I seem to remember reading that the Chicago & Northwestern RR

              --- In genealogyresearchcl <mailto:genealogyresearchclub%40yahoogroups.com>
              <no_reply@...> wrote:

              > I am searching for my great grandparents, John E. Bergsten (also
              Johan
              > E.) or Bretta Lena (Johnson) Bergsten. I have found some information
              > on them, but can't locate anything on their parents or siblings. Any
              > help would be appreciated.
              .

              <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=5259940/grpspId=1705690932/msgI
              d=11504/stime=1214273962/nc1=5379228/nc2=4836042/nc3=5349273>

            • marybethmarrsx
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 28, 2008
                Hi! Ijust found your post -- this sounds possible. I know they
                homesteaded in South Dakota and she returned to Chicago when he died,
                then later to Council Bluffs, Iowa. Thanks for responding -- let
                me know if you know who they are. I am interested in the side lines
                also -- brothers or sisters, but expecially parents.

                --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, tfw4321 <no_reply@...>