Re: Mary Daniels-Stringer & Ann Blancette/Blanchard

  • keenetrio
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 18, 2008
      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Knox"
      <tomknox2001@...> wrote:
      >Thank You!!

      Yes I have that census also.
      I have a 1910 showing my grandfather james living with his
      grandmother & his brother.
      His grandmother's name was
      Anne.Elizabeth "Whatley" born 1835 Alabama
      Married William Henry Daniel born 1825 NC yet died in Alabama
      I can find 2 of their children.
      James Warren Daniel born 1859
      Mary Elizabeth Daniel

      I cannot find anything with any of them together. Not even the 1860
      census, which is before Mary was born!
      Nor can I find Anne. on any census for Alabama, or any for that
      matter, before she was married.

      Nor can I find anything under marriage for Mary!
      Yet she married someone named Stringer.
      Now do I not have a mystery on my hands...LOL
      Thanks for helping me, it means alot.
      Lisa

    • Lisa Keene
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 5, 2008
        It took some doing but it finally hit me that my grandmother's maiden name was not Chasteen.
        Her name was Mabel K. Schasteen
        and now things are a bit harder. Cannot find her on any census,before she married my grandfather.
        I did find out that her mother's name was Estella, from the 1930 census.
        And I am hopeing the man I found was her father, Charles H. Schasteen.
        Thank you for suggesting the misspelling!!
        Lisa

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 7, 2008
          wood your hubby be related to the garner family line

          porkchop   check this genealogy site out     looking 4 kin

          From: Barbara Sack <bsack@.... com>

          To: genealogyresearchcl ub@yahoogroups. com

          Date: Tuesday, June 10, 2008, 2:11 PM

          >How could 2 brothers disappear for 30 years?

          >I have both my grandfather and my great uncle on the 1900 census.

          >After that nothing, till 1930, when my grandfather- -James Daniel

          >Stringer & his brother show up. And my grandfather is married to my

          >grandmother Mable Chasteen,and living in California.

          >My grandfather & his brother were from Texas, my grandmother was from

          >Missouri.

          >Any advice??

          >Thank You

          >Lisa

          Several possibilities: their names were misspelled or mis-transcribed

          in the census. Or they were moving around for work and weren't counted.

          I found them in the WWI draft registration - on June 17, 1917, they

          were farmers near Pavala, Fisher County, TX. James listed only

          himself as dependant; Herbert listed his grandmother. Not sure why

          they don't show up in the 1910 census, but I didn't look under

          grandmother' s name (probably the one shown in 1900 census).

          Have you looked for Mable Chasteen to see how many censuses she was

          in under her maiden name to narrow down the time of their

          marriage? Or maybe both families moved to CA where the marriage took place.

          Good luck.

          Barbara

        • Tom Knox
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 7, 2008
            Lisa -

            > 1930 South Gate, Los Angeles, CA
            > Stringer, James D/40:TX:TX:TX/driver
            > (), Mabel K/22:MO:IL:KS/wife
            > Chasteen, Estella/52:KS:IL:TN/M-in-law
            > Stringer, Herbert/36:TX:TX:TX/brother/barber

            How about this string of documents?
            Includes both Mable and Stella . . .

            1920 Pittsburg Ward 2, Crawford, Kansas
            Schasteen, Charles, head 45 married born IL:Germany:Germany
            - "Moulder, Foundry"
            (), Stella, wife 41 married born KS:IL:TN
            (), Charles H, son 14 born MO:IL:KS
            (), Mable C, daughter 12 born MO:IL:KS
            Zimmerman, Anna/roomer/37, Elizabeth/roomer/39

            1910 (Marion Twp) Carthage Ward 5, Jasper, MO
            (indexed as SCHASTEAN but could be read as SCHASTEEN)
            Schastean, Charles H, head 36 married.1 18 yrs born IL:unk:unk
            - Foundry Moulder
            (), Stella, wife 37?* married.1 18 yrs born KS:IL:TN
            - 9 children 5 living (all children marked as born MO:IL:KS)
            (), Frank L/son/17, Samuel M/son/19, John L/son/12, Charles H/son/5
            (), Mable C, daughter 2
            NOTES: * Stella indexed as age=37, but it looks like 33.

            1900 (Marion Twp) Carthage Ward 3, Jasper, Missouri
            Chastine, Charles H, head 26 married 8 yrs born Jan 1874 OH:OH:OH
            - "Moulder, Iron"
            (), Stella, wife 23 married 8 yrs born Mar 1877 KS:OH:IN
            - 3 children 3 living
            (), Frank, son 6 born July 1893 MO:OH:KS
            (), Sanborn, son 3 born Jan 1897 MO:OH:KS
            (), John, son 2 born Feb 1898 MO:OH:KS
            NOTE: Sanborn is probably Samuel M.

            Name: Frank Lybarger Schasteen
            City: Carthage, Jasper, Missouri
            Birthplace: Carthage, MO
            Birth Date: 24 Jul 1893
            married; machinist, Vogey Mine
            ==========
            Name: Sameul Montell Schasteen
            County: Jasper County, Missouri
            Birthplace: Carthage, MO
            Birth Date: 23 Jan 1896
            single; miner; 3 yrs previous military service (state)
            NOTE: is probably Samuel M.

            Missouri Marriage Records, 1805-2002
            Name: Frank L Schasteen
            Spouse Name: Jessie Kingsbury
            Marriage Date: 23 Dec 1916
            Marriage Location: Carthage, Jasper, Missouri
            Marriage County: Jasper

            Missouri National Guard, the Mexican Border, 1916
            Name: Samuel M. Schasteen
            Rank: Private
            COMPANY: Company G
            REGIMENT: Second Infantry
            Page #: 167
            Organized: Joplin

            California Death Index, 1940-1997
            Name: Estella L Schasteen
            Sex: FEMALE
            Birth Date: 13 Mar 1876
            Birthplace: Kansas
            Death Date: 8 Aug 1965
            Death Place: Kern
            Mother's Maiden Name: Swofford

            - Tom Knox IBSSG "Bloodhound"

            <keenetrio@...> wrote:

            > It took some doing but it finally hit me that my grandmother's maiden
            name was not Chasteen.
            > Her name was Mabel K. Schasteen
            > and now things are a bit harder. Cannot find her on any census,before
            she married my grandfather.
            > I did find out that her mother's name was Estella, from the 1930
            census.
            > And I am hopeing the man I found was her father, Charles H. Schasteen.
            > Thank you for suggesting the misspelling!!
            > Lisa
          • Tom Knox
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 7, 2008
              Lisa -

              (read other message first)

              California Death Index, 1940-1997
              Name: Charles Henry Schasteen
              Birth Date: 19 Jan 1872
              Birthplace: Illinois
              Death Date: 4 Aug 1948
              Death Place: Kern
              Mother's Maiden Name: Inman
              Father's Surname: Schasteen
              ==========
              Name: Estella L Schasteen
              Birth Date: 13 Mar 1876
              Birthplace: Kansas
              Death Date: 8 Aug 1965
              Death Place: Kern
              Mother's Maiden Name: Swofford
              ==========
              Name: Samuel M Schasteen
              Social Security #: 554072286
              Birth Date: 23 Jan 1896
              Birthplace: Missouri
              Death Date: 29 May 1968
              Death Place: Kern
              Mother's Maiden Name: Lybarger

              So -
              Charles Henry Schasteen (b.IL) married Estella Lybarger (b.KS)
              (married circa 1892);
              Charles' mother's maiden name INMAN;
              Estella's mother's maiden name SWOFFORD.

              These are possible matches -

              1880 Cherokee Twp, Montgomery, Kansas - SD 1 ED 15 Page 7C
              Lyberger, Valantin, 32 Farmer born OH:OH:(VT?)
              (), Mary, wife 25 born TN:SC:SC
              (), Estella, daughter 3 born KS:OH:TN
              (), ?Amer(?Omer) E, son 9m born "Sept" born KS:OH:TN
              NOTE: next door is another LYBERGER household.

              Kansas State Census Collection, 1855-1915
              Name: Valentine Lybarger
              Census Date: 1 Mar 1875
              Residence: Cherokee, Montgomery, Kansas
              Birth Location: Ohio
              Family Number: 68
              Gender: Male
              Estimated Birth Year: abt 1848
              Race: White
              Line: 39
              Roll: ks1875_14
              =====
              1875 Cherokee, Montgomery, Kansas
              Lybarger, Valentine/27:OH, Mary/22:TN, Rhoda/5m:KS

              1880 Freedom, Bourbon, Kansas
              Birch, S S, 24 married Farmer born IN:OH:OH
              (), Lizzie, wife 25 married born MO:MO:MO
              Chasteen, Charles H, "no relation" 8 born IL:(IL):(IL)

              - Tom Knox IBSSG "Bloodhound"

              <keenetrio@...> wrote:

              > It took some doing but it finally hit me that my grandmother's maiden
              name was not Chasteen.
              > Her name was Mabel K. Schasteen
              > and now things are a bit harder. Cannot find her on any census,before
              she married my grandfather.
              > I did find out that her mother's name was Estella, from the 1930
              census.
              > And I am hopeing the man I found was her father, Charles H. Schasteen.
              > Thank you for suggesting the misspelling!!
              > Lisa
            • Lisa Keene
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 13, 2008
                i am not understanding your question