Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Hi all - new to group

  • Barbara Sack
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 7, 2008
      Hi Louise,
      Looking at ancestry.com, I find a several Howard Warners in this area
      of NY in the various census records. The Social Security Death Index
      includes two possiblities for those who lived in the area (my
      husband's from Schenectady, so I'm a little familiar with it):
      Howard Warner b. 16 July 1903 d. April 1972 Troy, Rensselaer, NY
      Howard B. Warner b. 9 Mar 1911 d. 14 Sept 1996 Schenectady, Schenectady, NY
      No Howard Warner died anywhere in the state of NY in 1988.

      If you don't have a subscription to ancestry, you can also find the
      SS Death Index on rootsweb.com and the LDS site, familysearch.org,
      which are both free.

      I googled adoption and found a couple of sites that might be of
      help. You might also contact the NY office listed in the second and
      ask how adoptions were handled in that period, the kinds of records
      kept, etc. Do you happen to have the baptismal cert? Do you know
      which church? I think you're right that Warner was his adopted name,
      but if he wasn't formally adopted (I understand this was relatively
      unusual then) it could be his birth name.

      http://genealogy.about.com/cs/adoption/a/adoption_search.htm

      http://reunion-registries.adoption.com/search/state-reunion-registries.html#newyork

      Good luck!
      Barbara