100 Year Old Adoptions....

  • Joseph
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2008
      First, I'm new here and not sure how everything works, but I'll try my
      best to keep within all the rules, guidelines, and topics.

      I'm Joseph Snurr, Sr. born in Waynesboro, PA (over half a century ago),
      and lived in Maryland, West Virginia, and now the Arkansas Ozarks.

      Interestingly, I've discovered that I had a 15th cousin attending the
      church I go to here. <grin> We discovered that when discovering a
      common ancestor. Also, I've found closer cousins (4th,5th) in Little
      Rock, AR.

      However, while I have family lines that I can trace back many
      generations, I have one that stops dead at my grandmother.

      She was Mary Elizabeth Sponseller who was [I believe] born in Union
      Bridge, MD in August 10, 1895. She married Luther Ambrose Snurr.

      My dead end is this:
      When whe was five years old (1900), she was "given to" or
      "adopted by" the Sponseller family.
      There are two names that she'd told me was her true parents.
      They are Furry (Furrey, Furree, Forrey??) and Pittinger (Pittenger?).

      I can find nothing in Pennsylvania or Maryland under these names....
      not even Sponseller. I know her marriage announcement in Jan 1915 (age
      19) says she was Mary E. Sponseller.

      Seems she should be listed in a Census for 1900, but I have been able to
      find nothing on her.

      I know it was common in that day for a poor family to give children to
      others who could afford more.... but it sure made things for people
      like me difficult. <grin>

      How does one trace past a situation like this?

      Joseph
      (Paternal: "Snurr, Crone, Darner" "Gunkle, Shuter, Hunscher")
      (Maternal: "Witmer, Kendall, Swope" "Davis, Lamerson")