Hi all - new to group

  • Louise Warner
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 6, 2008
      Hello!

      I am watching with interest the stories about adoptions. My late
      husband's father was adopted and we have always been curious about how
      to go about getting records. His name was Howard Bigelow Warner and he
      lived in the Albany/Rensselaer, NY area all of his life. We have been
      told that the only "birth record" he ever had was a church baptism
      paper from when he was about age 3. We think he was born around 1904-
      7, and died in 1988 in Schenectady. There were no known siblings. My
      children would love to know more about this - if there is anything to
      know. We have always assumed that the family name of Warner belonged
      to the couple who adopted him. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to
      go about this? Thanks in advance, another "Louise"
    • Barbara Sack
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 7, 2008
        Hi Louise,
        Looking at ancestry.com, I find a several Howard Warners in this area
        of NY in the various census records. The Social Security Death Index
        includes two possiblities for those who lived in the area (my
        husband's from Schenectady, so I'm a little familiar with it):
        Howard Warner b. 16 July 1903 d. April 1972 Troy, Rensselaer, NY
        Howard B. Warner b. 9 Mar 1911 d. 14 Sept 1996 Schenectady, Schenectady, NY
        No Howard Warner died anywhere in the state of NY in 1988.

        If you don't have a subscription to ancestry, you can also find the
        SS Death Index on rootsweb.com and the LDS site, familysearch.org,
        which are both free.

        I googled adoption and found a couple of sites that might be of
        help. You might also contact the NY office listed in the second and
        ask how adoptions were handled in that period, the kinds of records
        kept, etc. Do you happen to have the baptismal cert? Do you know
        which church? I think you're right that Warner was his adopted name,
        but if he wasn't formally adopted (I understand this was relatively
        unusual then) it could be his birth name.

        http://genealogy.about.com/cs/adoption/a/adoption_search.htm

        http://reunion-registries.adoption.com/search/state-reunion-registries.html#newyork

        Good luck!
        Barbara