Re: Update

  • Laura
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 5, 2008
      Have also been there & done that.

      When I first started researching, I sent away for my maternal
      Grandfather's birth cert from Scotland. I received a letter stating
      that they could find no such person.

      Turned out the person, my mother thought was her 'aunt' all her
      life, had actually been her Grandmother. And the person she thought
      was her Grandmother was actually her GGrandmother.

      Whew, not what I expected and I was very nervous about telling her.
      (My mother is 80 yrs old)

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie Petrides"
      <petrides@...> wrote:

      > Genealogy Research Club - A forum for genealogy information
      exchange!Things are moving so quickly it's hard to keep up.
      > And I learned a lesson today, even though you think you've got a
      family figured out, the second you get complacent about them,
      something comes up to bite you.
      > Today, I went to the courthouse in Athens to pick up the 7 family
      wills I had ordered. In that stack was the will of my 3rd great-
      grandfather's brother Mr. Casanova.
      > Now, I was hoping in there he mentioned his mother's name but no
      such luck. However, there was something in there that blew me away
      and taught me, never never never assume. About 2 years ago, I had
      pretty much completed Ioannis line. I had even met his grandson (who
      happens to be 2nd cousins w/ my great-grandma just much younger).
      Everything in my mind was proven. Well, the will mentioned his
      heirs. His wife, no surprise but his son (who we were aware of) was
      adopted!!
      > Isn't that just like murphy's law? The deceased's grandson was so
      very excited and truly showed no awareness all this time about the
      fact that his father was adopted. And today (before I actually read
      the will) when I spoke to his wife she couldn't wait to read it.
      And now, I absolutely do not want to spring this on them.
      > If it comes down to it, I'll just tell them the old Greek in
      cursive script was just to difficult for me to read. I'll make them
      a copy if they ask and play dumb and lay low I guess. What a mess
      eh?

      > but as I said to my friend, it's nice to trim down the tree
      sometimes especially after such an unlikely and lucky discovery