Re: [Genealogy Research Club] MARY LEAHY-IRELAND to NEW YORK

  • Barbara Sack
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 4, 2008
      At 07:28 AM 6/4/2008, you wrote:

      >Right now I am concentrating on MARY LEAHY b 1887 ...Family lore was
      >she came to the US in 1906 alone when she was 16.

      Uhm, if she was born 1887 and came at 16, she arrived abt 1903. If
      she came in 1906, she was 19. I found her and Philip (I think) in
      the 1920 census; gives the 1887 b.d., 1906 arrival, 1914
      naturalization, so I think it was the family lore that was off by a
      few years. I found a couple of Mary Leahys in the 1910 census; the
      one that fits best lived in Richmond, servant in a household with 3
      servants, somewhat unusual even then. The only naturalization record
      I found showed it was "denied," but there are several courts
      immigrants could use so I may not have found the right Mary Leahy. I
      found 2 Mary Leahys arriving at Ellis Island in 1906: one age 21 arr
      Aug 5, 1906, was headed for her brother's in Plainville OH, the other
      was age 24, whereas your Mary was approx 19. When I searched for her
      w/her approx birth year, I got none arriving in 1906. She may not
      have come through Ellis Island - I believe there were other immigrant
      ports, such as Castle Gardens, though I don't know offhand how long
      they were used.