MARY LEAHY-IRELAND to NEW YORK

  • deejd1
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 4, 2008
      Researching: DOLAN, SHAW, DEVINE, LEAHY, McCLEMENTS, URBAN, ROBINSON,
      CAROLL, EGER and GARLAND.
      Areas: Northeastern Seaboard of the USA, Ireland and Germany.

      Right now I am concentrating on MARY LEAHY b 1887 and her mother KATE
      CAROLL b abt 1860. Her father was DANIEL LEAHY b abt. 1860. They were
      all born in Ireland. I have narrowed it down to Cork, Tipperary or
      Limerick. Family lore was she came to the US in 1906 alone when she was
      16. I can't find her at Ellis Island, because there are 27 MARY LEAHYS
      and I don't know which one she is. She naturalized 1914,
      As per census records. She married PHILIP DOLAN in New York City on
      OCT.10, 1915, he died July 1926. They had one son PHILIP PAUL DOLAN, he
      died Oct. 15,1941. MARY died Jan. 1947. Anyone with any info would be
      greatly appreciated.

      Dee

      http://dee1111.angelfire.com/index.html
    • Barbara Sack
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 4, 2008
        At 07:28 AM 6/4/2008, you wrote:

        >Right now I am concentrating on MARY LEAHY b 1887 ...Family lore was
        >she came to the US in 1906 alone when she was 16.

        Uhm, if she was born 1887 and came at 16, she arrived abt 1903. If
        she came in 1906, she was 19. I found her and Philip (I think) in
        the 1920 census; gives the 1887 b.d., 1906 arrival, 1914
        naturalization, so I think it was the family lore that was off by a
        few years. I found a couple of Mary Leahys in the 1910 census; the
        one that fits best lived in Richmond, servant in a household with 3
        servants, somewhat unusual even then. The only naturalization record
        I found showed it was "denied," but there are several courts
        immigrants could use so I may not have found the right Mary Leahy. I
        found 2 Mary Leahys arriving at Ellis Island in 1906: one age 21 arr
        Aug 5, 1906, was headed for her brother's in Plainville OH, the other
        was age 24, whereas your Mary was approx 19. When I searched for her
        w/her approx birth year, I got none arriving in 1906. She may not
        have come through Ellis Island - I believe there were other immigrant
        ports, such as Castle Gardens, though I don't know offhand how long
        they were used.