Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Update

  • Tina Stedman
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 4, 2008
      I had a similar thing happen to my family. I was researching my
      grandfather's family. He was put in an orphanage along with 3 of his
      4 siblings. As I started researching the family, I found a prior wife
      and 3 more children. When I asked my grandfather about it and showed
      him, he was upset and that he did not have any other sisters. I never
      discussed that with him again but have told the rest of the family.

      Your relatives may not react this way but may be curious as to where
      they did come from. I would tell them that you have found some
      interesting information and here it is. Then send them a copy for
      them to see and review. If they do not wish to know more then leave
      it at that and continue a friendship without that part. You can
      always research and not tell them. Some day, they or their children
      may ask if you have discovered more about it.

      Good Luck.

      Tina
    • Chris sparks
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 4, 2008
        I have a similar thing that happened to me. I found a cenus record showing my gggrandfather as being adopted. I told my aunt and we looking into it. Thing is a Taylor lady married a Taylor. We think she was married to a Taylor then married another Taylor and he adopted the son. We may still be Taylors but a different branch.

      • Laura
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 5, 2008
          Have also been there & done that.

          When I first started researching, I sent away for my maternal
          Grandfather's birth cert from Scotland. I received a letter stating
          that they could find no such person.

          Turned out the person, my mother thought was her 'aunt' all her
          life, had actually been her Grandmother. And the person she thought
          was her Grandmother was actually her GGrandmother.

          Whew, not what I expected and I was very nervous about telling her.
          (My mother is 80 yrs old)

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie Petrides"
          <petrides@...> wrote:

          > Genealogy Research Club - A forum for genealogy information
          exchange!Things are moving so quickly it's hard to keep up.
          > And I learned a lesson today, even though you think you've got a
          family figured out, the second you get complacent about them,
          something comes up to bite you.
          > Today, I went to the courthouse in Athens to pick up the 7 family
          wills I had ordered. In that stack was the will of my 3rd great-
          grandfather's brother Mr. Casanova.
          > Now, I was hoping in there he mentioned his mother's name but no
          such luck. However, there was something in there that blew me away
          and taught me, never never never assume. About 2 years ago, I had
          pretty much completed Ioannis line. I had even met his grandson (who
          happens to be 2nd cousins w/ my great-grandma just much younger).
          Everything in my mind was proven. Well, the will mentioned his
          heirs. His wife, no surprise but his son (who we were aware of) was
          adopted!!
          > Isn't that just like murphy's law? The deceased's grandson was so
          very excited and truly showed no awareness all this time about the
          fact that his father was adopted. And today (before I actually read
          the will) when I spoke to his wife she couldn't wait to read it.
          And now, I absolutely do not want to spring this on them.
          > If it comes down to it, I'll just tell them the old Greek in
          cursive script was just to difficult for me to read. I'll make them
          a copy if they ask and play dumb and lay low I guess. What a mess
          eh?

          > but as I said to my friend, it's nice to trim down the tree
          sometimes especially after such an unlikely and lucky discovery