Difficulty accessing documents on Ancestry.com

  • J H
    Message 1 of 8 , May 30 10:19 AM
      It may just be me, but after being away from my research for about 5 months (mother-in-law has been very ill), when I resumed a few days ago I noticed that I'm now having a lot of problems trying to access documents on Ancestry.com. I can pull up their page where they summarize the info on the original document, but when it comes to viewing a copy of the actual document - forget it! About 95% of the time the page doesn't respond & I sit in front of the computer for close to 5 minutes, then hit the good old control/alt/delete combination & find out "page not responding". DUH! I know it's not responding!

      My question is this: has anyone else had these problems with Ancestry.com or is it just me & my computer? Other sites seem to work fine. It's just Ancestry that I'm having problems with. Oh, and when I thought, "I'll email them about this issue," & tried to click on the "contact us" link, guess what. THE PAGE DIDN'T RESPOND! Imagine that!

      Suggestions anyone???

      TIA

      Blessings,
      JoannH

      With God all things are possible.

      handick.family@...

    • Diane S
      Message 2 of 8 , May 30 6:02 PM
        Joann -
        I have not had any difficulty, but I have not been out there a lot either... but others have had problems ever since they absorbed Rootsweb... or so it seems.
        Again I have had a security product (that I paid for) that causes problems with accessing some pages... I have to cut it off and it drives me crazy! Also found that the XP firewall creates some of the same problems and since I use a hardware network router that has a firewall, and Comcast uses their own firewall, I cut off the XP firewall and tested my system to see if I could be pinged... I cannot - so you might have to play around with some of your settings.
        Diane

        Message 3 of 8 , May 30 11:25 PM
          I've noticed that my computer freezes when I go into certain aspects of ancestry.com

          A good example is the obituary page - I have to control+alt+delete to get out of
          ancestry a number of times - but only at home. Luckily at work I have access
          and I seem to have no problem with it freezing at work - they have a much
          bigger system than mine.

          I always thought it had something to do with my computer - and I'm still not certain because
          ancestry.com and I had never had a problem before until this year...now it is a bit
          frustrating at times.

          Mike

          J H <handick.family@...> wrote:
[...]

        • patricktree68
          Message 4 of 8 , May 31 9:44 AM
            Try deleting all cookies, internet temp files. Also look at deleting
            programs that you do not use. I turn off screen saver (mine is not
            the windows version) After I do all this I run scan disk and
            defrag. that usually help. It all ways happens at this time of
            year. I work at a school and you would be surprized what I put on
            and use for a few weeks and then forget.
            Shirley patrick

            \
            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, michael wolcott
            <mikewolcott@...> wrote:

            > I've noticed that my computer freezes when I go into certain
            aspects of ancestry.com

            > A good example is the obituary page - I have to
            control+alt+delete to get out of
            > ancestry a number of times - but only at home. Luckily at work I
            have access
            > and I seem to have no problem with it freezing at work - they
            have a much
            > bigger system than mine.
            >
            > I always thought it had something to do with my computer - and
            I'm still not certain because
            > ancestry.com and I had never had a problem before until this
            year...now it is a bit
            > frustrating at times.
            >
            > Mike
            >
            > J H <handick.family@...> wrote:
            > It may just be me, but after being away from my research
            for about 5 months (mother-in-law has been very ill), when I resumed
            a few days ago I noticed that I'm now having a lot of problems trying
            to access documents on Ancestry.com. I can pull up their page where
            they summarize the info on the original document, but when it comes
            to viewing a copy of the actual document - forget it! About 95% of
            the time the page doesn't respond & I sit in front of the computer
            for close to 5 minutes, then hit the good old control/alt/delete
            combination & find out "page not responding". DUH! I know it's not
            responding!

            > My question is this: has anyone else had these problems with
            Ancestry.com or is it just me & my computer? Other sites seem to work
            fine. It's just Ancestry that I'm having problems with. Oh, and when
            I thought, "I'll email them about this issue," & tried to click on
            the "contact us" link, guess what. THE PAGE DIDN'T RESPOND! Imagine
            that!

            > Suggestions anyone???
            >
            > TIA
            >
            > Blessings,
            > JoannH
            >
            > With God all things are possible.
            >
            > handick.family@...

          • Lisa Keene
            Message 5 of 8 , May 31 1:01 PM
              I too have been having problems with Ancestry.com!!
              I finally called a tech there, cause I would freeze every time on certain pages.
              Even on "CONTACT US"-LOL!
              They have me turning off my idenity protection/the phlisher(sp)
              Then after I am done, my PC starts messing up.
              I had just joined & this started happening!
              Eveyone needs to contact them and complain.
              Lisa

              <mikewolcott@...> wrote:

              > I've noticed that my computer freezes when I go into certain
              aspects of ancestry.com

              > A good example is the obituary page - I have to
              control+alt+delete to get out of
              > ancestry a number of times - but only at home. Luckily at work I
              have access
              > and I seem to have no problem with it freezing at work - they
              have a much
              > bigger system than mine.
              >
              > I always thought it had something to do with my computer - and
              I'm still not certain because
              > ancestry.com and I had never had a problem before until this
              year...now it is a bit
              > frustrating at times.
              >
              > Mike
              >
              > J H <handick.family@...> wrote:
              > It may just be me, but after being away from my research
              for about 5 months (mother-in-law has been very ill), when I resumed
              a few days ago I noticed that I'm now having a lot of problems trying
              to access documents on Ancestry.com. I can pull up their page where
              they summarize the info on the original document, but when it comes
              to viewing a copy of the actual document - forget it! About 95% of
              the time the page doesn't respond & I sit in front of the computer
              for close to 5 minutes, then hit the good old control/alt/delete
              combination & find out "page not responding". DUH! I know it's not
              responding!

              > My question is this: has anyone else had these problems with
              Ancestry.com or is it just me & my computer? Other sites seem to work
              fine. It's just Ancestry that I'm having problems with. Oh, and when
              I thought, "I'll email them about this issue," & tried to click on
              the "contact us" link, guess what. THE PAGE DIDN'T RESPOND! Imagine
              that!

              > Suggestions anyone???
              >
              > TIA
              >
              > Blessings,
              > JoannH
              >
              > With God all things are possible.
              >
              > handick.family@...

            • john armstrong
              Message 6 of 8 , May 31 4:56 PM
                woodyour family be out of maryland or vigina and do you have any garner in your tree

                porkchop   check this genealogy site out     looking 4 kin

                <mikewolcott@ ...> wrote:

                > I've noticed that my computer freezes when I go into certain

                aspects of ancestry.com

                > A good example is the obituary page - I have to

                control+alt+ delete to get out of

                > ancestry a number of times - but only at home. Luckily at work I

                have access

                > and I seem to have no problem with it freezing at work - they

                have a much

                > bigger system than mine.

                > I always thought it had something to do with my computer - and

                I'm still not certain because

                > ancestry.com and I had never had a problem before until this

                year...now it is a bit

                > frustrating at times.

                > Mike

                > J H <handick.family@ ...> wrote:

                > It may just be me, but after being away from my research

                for about 5 months (mother-in-law has been very ill), when I resumed

                a few days ago I noticed that I'm now having a lot of problems trying

                to access documents on Ancestry.com. I can pull up their page where

                they summarize the info on the original document, but when it comes

                to viewing a copy of the actual document - forget it! About 95% of

                the time the page doesn't respond & I sit in front of the computer

                for close to 5 minutes, then hit the good old control/alt/ delete

                combination & find out "page not responding". DUH! I know it's not

                responding!

                > My question is this: has anyone else had these problems with

                Ancestry.com or is it just me & my computer? Other sites seem to work

                fine. It's just Ancestry that I'm having problems with. Oh, and when

                I thought, "I'll email them about this issue," & tried to click on

                the "contact us" link, guess what. THE PAGE DIDN'T RESPOND! Imagine

                that!

                > Suggestions anyone???

                > TIA

                > Blessings,

                > JoannH

                > With God all things are possible.

                > handick.family@ ...

              • Lisa Keene
                Message 7 of 8 , May 31 6:52 PM
                  when they came over they started in Virgina

                  john armstrong <hotrod195378237@...> wrote: woodyour family be out of maryland or vigina and do you have any garner in your tree

                  <mikewolcott@ ...> wrote:

                  > I've noticed that my computer freezes when I go into certain

                  aspects of ancestry.com

                  > A good example is the obituary page - I have to

                  control+alt+ delete to get out of

                  > ancestry a number of times - but only at home. Luckily at work I

                  have access

                  > and I seem to have no problem with it freezing at work - they

                  have a much

                  > bigger system than mine.

                  > I always thought it had something to do with my computer - and

                  I'm still not certain because

                  > ancestry.com and I had never had a problem before until this

                  year...now it is a bit

                  > frustrating at times.

                  > Mike

                  > J H <handick.family@ ...> wrote:

                  > It may just be me, but after being away from my research

                  for about 5 months (mother-in-law has been very ill), when I resumed

                  a few days ago I noticed that I'm now having a lot of problems trying

                  to access documents on Ancestry.com. I can pull up their page where

                  they summarize the info on the original document, but when it comes

                  to viewing a copy of the actual document - forget it! About 95% of

                  the time the page doesn't respond & I sit in front of the computer

                  for close to 5 minutes, then hit the good old control/alt/ delete

                  combination & find out "page not responding". DUH! I know it's not

                  responding!

                  > My question is this: has anyone else had these problems with

                  Ancestry.com or is it just me & my computer? Other sites seem to work

                  fine. It's just Ancestry that I'm having problems with. Oh, and when

                  I thought, "I'll email them about this issue," & tried to click on

                  the "contact us" link, guess what. THE PAGE DIDN'T RESPOND! Imagine

                  that!

                  > Suggestions anyone???

                  > TIA

                  > Blessings,

                  > JoannH

                  > With God all things are possible.

                  > handick.family@ ...

                • john armstrong
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 1, 2008
                    ricard garner arived in 1637 in westmoreland co; va along with his son john who marred susannna  keene
                    ;john

                    porkchop; check this genealogy site out looking 4 kin

                    when they came over they started in Virgina

                    john armstrong <hotrod195378237@ yahoo.com> wrote: woodyour family be out of maryland or vigina and do you have any garner in your tree

                    porkchop&nbsp; &nbsp; check this genealogy site out&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; looking 4 kin

                    I too have been having problems with Ancestry.com! !

                    I finally called a tech there, cause I would freeze every time on certain pages.

                    Even on "CONTACT US"-LOL!

                    They have me turning off my idenity protection/the phlisher(sp)

                    Then after I am done, my PC starts messing up.

                    I had just joined &amp; this started happening!

                    patricktree68 &lt;patricktree68@ yahoo.com&gt; wrote:

                    Try deleting all cookies, internet temp files. Also look at deleting

                    programs that you do not use. I turn off screen saver (mine is not

                    the windows version) After I do all this I run scan disk and

                    defrag. that usually help. It all ways happens at this time of

                    year. I work at a school and you would be surprized what I put on

                    and use for a few weeks and then forget.

                    Shirley patrick

                    \

                    --- In genealogyresearchcl ub@yahoogroups. com, michael wolcott

                    &lt;mikewolcott@ ...&gt; wrote:

                    &gt;

                    &gt; I've noticed that my computer freezes when I go into certain

                    aspects of ancestry.com

                    &gt;

                    &gt; A good example is the obituary page - I have to

                    control+alt+ delete to get out of

                    &gt; ancestry a number of times - but only at home. Luckily at work I

                    have access

                    &gt; and I seem to have no problem with it freezing at work - they

                    have a much

                    &gt; bigger system than mine.

                    &gt;

                    &gt; I always thought it had something to do with my computer - and

                    I'm still not certain because

                    &gt; ancestry.com and I had never had a problem before until this

                    year...now it is a bit

                    &gt; frustrating at times.

                    &gt;

                    &gt; Mike

                    &gt;

                    &gt; J H &lt;handick. family@ ...&gt; wrote:

                    &gt; It may just be me, but after being away from my research

                    for about 5 months (mother-in-law has been very ill), when I resumed

                    a few days ago I noticed that I'm now having a lot of problems trying

                    to access documents on Ancestry.com. I can pull up their page where

                    they summarize the info on the original document, but when it comes

                    to viewing a copy of the actual document - forget it! About 95% of

                    the time the page doesn't respond &amp; I sit in front of the computer

                    for close to 5 minutes, then hit the good old control/alt/ delete

                    combination &amp; find out "page not responding". DUH! I know it's not

                    responding!

                    &gt;

                    &gt; My question is this: has anyone else had these problems with

                    Ancestry.com or is it just me &amp; my computer? Other sites seem to work

                    fine. It's just Ancestry that I'm having problems with. Oh, and when

                    I thought, "I'll email them about this issue," &amp; tried to click on

                    the "contact us" link, guess what. THE PAGE DIDN'T RESPOND! Imagine

                    that!

                    &gt;

                    &gt; Suggestions anyone???

                    &gt;

                    &gt; TIA

                    &gt;

                    &gt; Blessings,

                    &gt; JoannH

                    &gt;

                    &gt; With God all things are possible.

                    &gt;

                    &gt; handick.family@ ...

                    &gt;

                    &gt;

                    &gt; [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]