Re: wills and obits

  • Vicki
    Message 1 of 2 , May 20, 2008
      Have you tried searching for Probate records? Sometimes people did not
      leave a Will, but their property had to go into Probate and there will
      be paperwork from that. This should be found in the county they died
      in. Also, one thing that I have found to be worth the time to search
      is land records. We have one instance where we could not find any Will
      on file, but the land records had the name of every heir listed in the
      transaction to sell. I have worked mostly with persons who owned
      farmland so am not sure what to expect from the city properties that
      were owned but it still might be worth the look.

      Have you tried searching for the Bible info on the internet? Perhaps
      someone has scanned the pages you seek--or transcribed them.

      If you have proof of information for your father's family it would be
      good to just list it in your records and tell your source. If others
      do not want to listen, or change their info, at least you will have
      the proper documentation for the future.

      If you give the names of the people you are searching for someone will
      possibly look them up and help where they can. You might also list
      where they lived, and any other information known about them.

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, jevette burciaga
      <jevetteburciaga@...> wrote:

      > I am new here but I have been a researcher for 3 years and have done
      very very well. I have 2 issues to sort out but I must say I need
      help. I cannot seem to find a will for a family member in the early
      1800's so how do i prove his son is his son? There are no documents I
      have found and I hear through the grapevine that there is a woman with
      a family bible. She has yet to respond to my mail. The next issue I
      have is that I have proven with legal documents from the state a
      person in my father's family. No one wants to hear what I have to say.
      I have proof the year others have listed is wrong. I cannot find who
      his parents were from ALABAMA. What do I do here?