McCreary & McQuown

  • Wendy Wilson
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 20, 2008
      My ancestor George McCreary, was born in Armagh in 1752. He came to America
      in 1776. Earlier in the 18th century, John, Thomas & Samuel had come over &
      settled in York Co., PA. I'm hoping to establish a connection between the
      brothers & George.

      George's wife, Mary McQuown, daughter of Laurance & Jean, came to York Co.
      from Londonderry in 1951 or 2 with her parents and 12 siblings.

      I have reached a total brick wall trying to find out what happened before
      they all came here and if George is related to John, Thomas and Samuel. I
      tend to think he is as he settled close to them.

      Any help would be greatly appreciated.

      Wendy Wilson

    • b
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 21, 2008
        Wendy,
        I have been looking through the McCreary book. The book begins with: Five brother from Ireland. McCreary's came from Ireland and settled in Lancaster County; which was part of Northcumberland County, from which Union County was formed. SOME of the brothers came over the mountains and settled in Eastbrook area along the Neshannock Creek. They came in 1802. The father of these five brothers was John McCreary of Ireland.
        It names John McCrearys children as: Samuel b. 1778- 8 May 1858
        Thomas
        John b. btwn 1780-1790
        Elizabeth
        Joseph
        William (died of drowning while helping Samuel rescue stock from high water on the farm.)

        This book also mentions the (Northern) Land of Clan McDonald. (Small clans of families sought or fell under the MacDonald protection or took high service with the chiefs. These were called Septs. The McCreary name came from the Maccririe Sept. and we served the MacDonalds.
        I am still reading the book, and for now most of it is about the brothers who settled in Eastbrook, Lawrence County, Pa. But, If i come up with anything i will let you know.
        Bonnie Seech-Dailey
        panther7775@...

        Wendy Wilson <lolaiguana@...> wrote:

        My ancestor George McCreary, was born in Armagh in 1752. He came to America
        in 1776. Earlier in the 18th century, John, Thomas & Samuel had come over &
        settled in York Co., PA. I'm hoping to establish a connection between the
        brothers & George.

        George's wife, Mary McQuown, daughter of Laurance & Jean, came to York Co.
        from Londonderry in 1951 or 2 with her parents and 12 siblings.

        I have reached a total brick wall trying to find out what happened before
        they all came here and if George is related to John, Thomas and Samuel. I
        tend to think he is as he settled close to them.

        Any help would be greatly appreciated.

        Wendy Wilson

        Bonnie A. Dailey