Would like advice and or suggestions from other genealogist

  • Malisa
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 29, 2008
      I have been doing my family genealogy for several years off and on. I
      don't have a good system of accessing my info easily. I can organize
      anyone else, but I can't even organize my own. I enjoy doing genealogy
      and would like to do this for a living. I don't have any business
      sense and that is a problem. I wish I could work under another
      genealogist cause I learn and retain better that way.
      Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks in advance!
      Malisa
    • Catherine Lamb
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 30, 2008
        I'm not an expert but this link helped me alot. I
        finally ended up putting each family in their own
        folder with a family group sheet stapled to the inside
        cover. I can see at a glance what info is lacking.
        Then I just take one folder and search it at a time
        (mostly online which can get very distracting)...if
        the name isn't one in the folder in my lap, I'm not
        "allowed" to search it at the time. I get too confused
        otherwise. It helps me focus to just have a folder for
        each family.

        The family member who is my actual ancestor gets their
        own folder (with their immediate family).
        Hope this helps.
        Catherine

        http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/RG/frameset_rg.asp?Dest=G1&Aid=&Gid=&Lid=&Sid=&Did=&Juris1=&Event=&Year=&Gloss=&Sub=&Tab=&Entry=&Guide=ALL_REF_DOC_-_Organizing_Paper_Files.ASP

      • sue baker
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2008
          Thank You, what a good idea.
          --- Catherine Lamb <ewema99@...> wrote:

          > I'm not an expert but this link helped me alot. I
          > finally ended up putting each family in their own
          > folder with a family group sheet stapled to the
          > inside
          > cover. I can see at a glance what info is lacking.
          > Then I just take one folder and search it at a time
          > (mostly online which can get very distracting)...if
          > the name isn't one in the folder in my lap, I'm not
          > "allowed" to search it at the time. I get too
          > confused
          > otherwise. It helps me focus to just have a folder
          > for
          > each family.
          >
          > The family member who is my actual ancestor gets
          > their
          > own folder (with their immediate family).
          > Hope this helps.
          > Catherine

          http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/RG/frameset_rg.asp?Dest=G1&Aid=&Gid=&Lid=&Sid=&Did=&Juris1=&Event=&Year=&Gloss=&Sub=&Tab=&Entry=&Guide=ALL_REF_DOC_-_Organizing_Paper_Files.ASP

          > You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you one
          > month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost.

        • Joan Slocombe
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 3, 2008
            This sounds like a wonderful idea, in fact I read the instructions and went out yesterday and got what I needed to set it up. My research is a mess and I spend more time looking for what I have already than on research, so when I get it all set up,should make it much easier to see what I don't know and still need to find. Thank you so much.
            Joan