New Member - Heath Family

  • Tonya Newton
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 15, 2008
      Hello everyone,
      I joined this group in hopes of getting some help on several brick walls that I have in my family research. This email will only begin with one long standing brick wall. My mother's maiden name is Heath. I and a few other family members have been tracing this family line for years and have just simply been completely stumped with our fourth great grandfather, William H. HEATH. William seems to have just dropped in to Robertson County, Tennessee from nowhere in 1842 when he married Caroline AYERS. Their marriage record was found there in Robertson County. William, Caroline, and their children can be found in the 1850 census for Robertson County, and then again in the Humphreys County, TN 1860 census. There seems to be no other Heaths found in Robertson county in 1840 or 1850. The family moved on to Mississippi and New Madrid county, Missouri before presumably during the civil war because we believe William Heath was captured by union soldiers during a Bloomfield, Missouri
      raid. We also have reason to believe that he was sent to Gratiot Street Prison in St. Louis where he died. His wife, Caroline, was married to Thomas Porter by 1870 in Mississippi County, Missouri. Does anyone have any record or information of other Heath families being in or around Robertson County, TN between the years of 1820 and 1850? Caroline Ayers family moved from South Carolina to Tennessee sometime between 1810 and 1820. Her parents were William AYERS and Elizabet JAMES. Any information would be very appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Tonya Newton
      San Jose, CA

    • claire frustine
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 15, 2008
        Hello Tonya, My great grandmother was Ida M Heath b.1864 d. 1952 her husband was Issac Jones b 1852 d. 1917 a coal miner whose parents arrived from Wales around 1848
        with four of gr grandfathers sibblings they lived in PA. Then Issac moved to Indiana to work in coal mines there . They raised 11 children in Parke co Lyford and Florida township Indiana
        My grandmother was Ida Jones /Birkbeck . Ida M Heath's father was Joseph Heath from Youngs Town, Ohio and her Mother was Mary Johnson from from Virginia, Looking for Heaths is not easy I've found lots in Ohio and Indiana good luck in your search for Heaths lots in England and Ireland as I've discovered I'm on several search sites if I can help let me know !! Claire
        Tonya Newton <newton312@...> wrote:
[...]

      • Kathy P
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 16, 2008
          Do you have any other Heath names - aunts/uncles, etc.? I have been tracking my Great Grandmother, Sarah Jane Jones, nee Heath. I believe I have found her family and they are out of Georgia - but I am still trying to verify it. There are a lot of Heath families in Georgia in the 1850's - he could belong to one of them and struck out on his own to Tennessee. I found them in Burke, Sumter, and Walton Counties, GA. What did they name their children? Often people gave their children names of brothers, sisters, parents, grandparents, etc.

          Kathy
          Genealogists never die, they just lose their census.

        • newton312
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 16, 2008
            Hi Claire,
            Thanks so much for replying to my post. It's nice to meet another
            Heath family member. Yes, it seems to me that a lot of the Heaths
            didn't really seem to stay together, but each would often move on on
            their own. This research has been very difficult but I remain
            optimistic. Thank you again. -Tonya

            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, claire frustine
            <cfrustine@...> wrote:

            > Hello Tonya, My great grandmother was Ida M Heath b.1864 d. 1952
            her husband was Issac Jones b 1852 d. 1917 a coal miner whose parents
            arrived from Wales around 1848
            > with four of gr grandfathers sibblings they lived in PA. Then
            Issac moved to Indiana to work in coal mines there . They raised 11
            children in Parke co Lyford and Florida township Indiana
            > My grandmother was Ida Jones /Birkbeck . Ida M Heath's father was
            Joseph Heath from Youngs Town, Ohio and her Mother was Mary Johnson
            from from Virginia, Looking for Heaths is not easy I've found lots in
            Ohio and Indiana good luck in your search for Heaths lots in England
            and Ireland as I've discovered I'm on several search sites if I can
            help let me know !! Claire
            > Tonya Newton <newton312@...> wrote:
            > Hello everyone,
            > I joined this group in hopes of getting some help on several brick
            walls that I have in my family research. This email will only begin
            with one long standing brick wall. My mother's maiden name is Heath.
            I and a few other family members have been tracing this family line
            for years and have just simply been completely stumped with our
            fourth great grandfather, William H. HEATH. William seems to have
            just dropped in to Robertson County, Tennessee from nowhere in 1842
            when he married Caroline AYERS. Their marriage record was found there
            in Robertson County. William, Caroline, and their children can be
            found in the 1850 census for Robertson County, and then again in the
            Humphreys County, TN 1860 census. There seems to be no other Heaths
            found in Robertson county in 1840 or 1850. The family moved on to
            Mississippi and New Madrid county, Missouri before presumably during
            the civil war because we believe William Heath was captured by union
            soldiers during a Bloomfield, Missouri
            > raid. We also have reason to believe that he was sent to Gratiot
            Street Prison in St. Louis where he died. His wife, Caroline, was
            married to Thomas Porter by 1870 in Mississippi County, Missouri.
            Does anyone have any record or information of other Heath families
            being in or around Robertson County, TN between the years of 1820 and
            1850? Caroline Ayers family moved from South Carolina to Tennessee
            sometime between 1810 and 1820. Her parents were William AYERS and
            Elizabet JAMES. Any information would be very appreciated.

            > Thanks,
            > Tonya Newton
            > San Jose, CA

          • newton312
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 16, 2008
              Hi Kathy,
              Yes, I have been thinking about the Georgia Heaths as well. William
              and Caroline's children were as follows: Margaret b. 1843/44; William
              b. 1844/45; Lemuel R. (my 3rd great grandfather)b. 1847; John H.
              b.1848/49; Stephen F. b. 1850; Sarah b. 1852; James M. b. 1854; Mary
              J. b. 1855/56; Amanda b. 1856/57; Susan A. b. 1860; Charles b. 1862.

              All of the children seemed to have been born in Robertson County,
              Tennessee except for Charles who was born in Southeast, Missouri. You
              mentioned name patterns. I have been watching for this very closely.
              As I noted my line proceeds with William and Caroline's 3rd child,
              Lemuel R. Heath. Lemuel R. had a son he named William H.; this
              William H. had a son he named Lemuel R. (all these are my particular
              family line). We know the "H" after William stands for "Henry", we
              believe the "R" after Lemuel stands for "Richard". There was a
              Richard Heath in middle Tennessee during the early to mid 1800s that
              I have been trying to research as well.

              My family has participated in the HEATH DNA Project. One of my
              distant cousins and my uncle participated together just to confirm
              that we were from the same HEATH family we have been researching all
              these years and it did. Recently another HEATH researcher
              participated in the project and we found that our family is connected
              somehow to his in the last 200 - 400 years. This researcher had
              traced his HEATH family back to John Heath of Middlesex, Virginia b.
              1723. He was nice enough to send me his gedcom file, but I haven't
              had any success finding where our William H. Heath fits in yet.

              Thank you for all your suggestions and help. Perhaps we will be able
              to connect our lines together one day. :)

              Tonya
              --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Kathy P <pkathy98@...>