Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Hello all - new to the group

  • Shannon
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 13 2:37 PM
      I would suggest since you know at least his month, year and place of
      birth to find him on a census record for where he lived. That way you can
      find his family, trace him back to when he was a child and you can find
      his parents information. Also, when you send out requests and questions
      let us know what you've got on a person. Most of us can spare a few
      minutes to help someone out. Shannon

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 13 4:05 PM
        Joyce Have you found him in the census. About what
        year was he born? I will help you with census. Write
        me Loisedwards1946@...
        --- sassiejae <sassiejae@...> wrote:

        > Hello everyone, my name is Joyce and I'm new to the
        > group as well as
        > to genealogy research. I started my search a few
        > weeks ago and I've
        > already run into roadblocks. I have very few living
        > people I can go
        > to for reference. I've been able to find my
        > grandfather through the
        > SS death index but I can't get further than that. I
        > know I can
        > request a copy of his SS card but I think it's too
        > early in my search
        > to start shelling out money. Does anyone have any
        > suggestions on what
        > my next step should be? Thanks.
        >

        > ------------------------------------
        >
        > Searching for your ancestry? You'll find great help
        > at Ancestry.Com

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > (Yahoo! ID required)

        mailto:genealogyresearchclub-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        Looking for last minute shopping deals?
      • sassiejae
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 14 6:08 AM
          I have found him in the 1930 census and it lists him, his wife and 3
          of their 10 children, one I've been able to find in the SS death
          index. I'll admit, I have no idea what I'm doing (smile). I've
          found a local group that is meeting in two weeks but I was hoping to
          be able to get started before then.

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Lois Edwards

          _______________
          > Looking for last minute shopping deals?
          > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.
          http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?
          category=shopping

        • sassiejae
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 14 8:18 AM
            My grandfather's name was Bolden T. Mann, born February 24, 1903 in
            Pennsylvania; died April 1968 in Salem, Virginia. Census says his
            parents were both born in Virginia but I don't know how or where to
            start looking for them.

            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "sassiejae"
            <sassiejae@...> wrote:

            > I have found him in the 1930 census and it lists him, his wife and
            3
            > of their 10 children, one I've been able to find in the SS death
            > index. I'll admit, I have no idea what I'm doing (smile). I've
            > found a local group that is meeting in two weeks but I was hoping
            > be able to get started before then.
            >

            > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Lois Edwards
            > <loisedwards1946@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Joyce Have you found him in the census. About what
            > > year was he born? I will help you with census. Write
            > > me Loisedwards1946@
            > > --- sassiejae <sassiejae@> wrote:
            > >
            > > > Hello everyone, my name is Joyce and I'm new to the
            > > > group as well as
            > > > to genealogy research. I started my search a few
            > > > weeks ago and I've
            > > > already run into roadblocks. I have very few living
            > > > people I can go
            > > > to for reference. I've been able to find my
            > > > grandfather through the
            > > > SS death index but I can't get further than that. I
            > > > know I can
            > > > request a copy of his SS card but I think it's too
            > > > early in my search
            > > > to start shelling out money. Does anyone have any
            > > > suggestions on what
            > > > my next step should be? Thanks.
            > > >

            > > > ------------------------------------
            > > >
            > > > Searching for your ancestry? You'll find great help
            > > > at Ancestry.Com
            > > >

            > > http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?
            bfmid=5647408&siteid=18621718

            > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            > > > (Yahoo! ID required)
            > > >

            > > mailto:genealogyresearchclub-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            > _______________
            > > Looking for last minute shopping deals?
            > > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.
            > http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?
            > category=shopping

          • Vicki
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 15 2:25 PM
              A good place to get some starter information is from an obituary. It
              is only as good as the person giving the information though. It is
              often useful to search the obituary's of the siblings also, because
              sometimes more info is known to another family member. I find that
              the city or county genealogical/historical societies also will have
              information to that local area. They will often have birth, death and
              various other information or have the addresses and info as to how to
              get that from the county or state. There might be an online place to
              search in the county he lived in. There are lots of general genealogy
              and message board online sites. You can often search and/or post in
              many of those message boards. If you do a search in this yahoo group
              you will probably find several sites listed. There are also some links
              over on the left hand side of the group home page.

              I have the 1930 census for Bolden and his wife Daisy, children and his
              mother-in-law from the Ancestry.com site. Do you descend from this
              wife Daisy also? If so, her maiden name might be the same as the
              Mother-in-Laws name listed on that census and can help you further
              your search on her. Susie Dow (the Mother in law) is listed in the
              1910 census as widowed and her daughter Daisy, age 8, living with her
              in Salem Ward 3,Roanoke Co., Virginia. I am not having any luck
              locating Bolden on any other census though.

              A hint to do as your searching gets started--write down where you find
              information and even write where you have searched to avoid doing it
              over (printed books, etc.). If you are searching in on-line message
              boards you will want to check back every once in a while to see if
              someone posted a response.

              Here are a couple of sites to help you get started
              http://www.rootsweb.com/~varoanok/
              http://www.familysearch.org/
              http://boards.ancestry.com/
              http://www.afrigeneas.com/

              <sassiejae@...> wrote:

              > My grandfather's name was Bolden T. Mann, born February 24, 1903 in
              > Pennsylvania; died April 1968 in Salem, Virginia. Census says his
              > parents were both born in Virginia but I don't know how or where to
              > start looking for them.
              >
              > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "sassiejae"
              > <sassiejae@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I have found him in the 1930 census and it lists him, his wife and
              > 3
              > > of their 10 children, one I've been able to find in the SS death
              > > index. I'll admit, I have no idea what I'm doing (smile). I've
              > > found a local group that is meeting in two weeks but I was hoping
              > > be able to get started before then.
              > >

              > > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Lois Edwards
              > > <loisedwards1946@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Joyce Have you found him in the census. About what
              > > > year was he born? I will help you with census. Write
              > > > me Loisedwards1946@

              > > > http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?
              > bfmid=5647408&siteid=18621718

              > > > mailto:genealogyresearchclub-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              > > _______________
              > > > Looking for last minute shopping deals?
              > > > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.
              > > http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?
              > > category=shopping

            • sassiejae
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 17 7:16 AM
                Good morning and thanks for the information and suggestions.
                Someone from another group was able to get me the obituary for my
                grandfather. It lists his children but nothing about his parents or
                anything that I could go on.

                --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Vicki"
                <muchwisernow_2000@...> wrote:

> [...]
                >

                > -- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "sassiejae"
                > <sassiejae@> wrote:
                > >
                > > My grandfather's name was Bolden T. Mann, born February 24, 1903
                in
                > > Pennsylvania; died April 1968 in Salem, Virginia. Census says
                his
                > > parents were both born in Virginia but I don't know how or where
                > > start looking for them.
                > >
                > > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "sassiejae"
                > > <sassiejae@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I have found him in the 1930 census and it lists him, his wife
                and
                > > 3
                > > > of their 10 children, one I've been able to find in the SS
                death
                > > > index. I'll admit, I have no idea what I'm doing (smile).
                I've
                > > > found a local group that is meeting in two weeks but I was

              • Barbara Sack
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 19 1:07 AM
                  Joyce, could the following be your grandfather's family? From the
                  1910 census in PA - I found it on ancestry by looking for all males
                  living in PA born in PA in 1903 +/- 1 yr father from Virginia, using
                  soundex (nothing showed under Mann "exact"), then looking for something close.

                  Hope you recognize a name and this helps. Trying 1920 but so far nothing.

                  Barbara
                  Name: Belton Mone (looking at the scan of the actual census
                  page, it could at a stretch look like Mann - the writing is very poor)
                  [Belton Moore]
                  []

                  Age in 1910: 7
                  Estimated Birth Year: abt 1903
                  Birthplace: Pennsylvania
                  Relation to Head of House: Son
                  Father's Birth Place: Virginia
                  Mother's Name: Lucia
                  Mother's Birth Place: Virginia
                  Home in 1910: Philadelphia Ward 7, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
                  Marital Status: Single
                  Race: Black
                  Gender: Male
                  Neighbors:
                  <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?viewrecord=1&ti=0&r=an&db=1910USCenIndex&F2=PAT624_1389-0943>View
                  others on page
                  Household Members:
                  Name Age
                  <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1910USCenIndex&indiv=try&h=25299320>Lucia
                  Mone 40
                  <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1910USCenIndex&indiv=try&h=192144526>Laura
                  Mone 17
                  <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1910USCenIndex&indiv=try&h=192144527>Belton
                  Mone 7
                  <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1910USCenIndex&indiv=try&h=192144528>Edward
                  Mone 19
                  <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1910USCenIndex&indiv=try&h=25299319>George
                  Brooks 25
                  <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1910USCenIndex&indiv=try&h=25299326>Thomas
                  Mason 22
                  <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1910USCenIndex&indiv=try&h=25299322>Nellie
                  Marris 19
                  <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1910USCenIndex&indiv=try&h=25299315>Margeret
                  Laws 26

                  Name: Lucia Mone (The mother - head of household)
                  [Lucia Moore]
                  []

                  Age in 1910: 40
                  Estimated Birth Year: abt 1870
                  Birthplace: Virginia
                  Relation to Head of House: Head
                  Father's Birth Place: Virginia
                  Mother's Birth Place: Virginia
                  Home in 1910: Philadelphia Ward 7, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
                  Marital Status: Widowed
                  Race: Black
                  [Colored (Black)]
                  []

                  Gender: Female
                  Neighbors:
                  <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?viewrecord=1&ti=0&r=an&db=1910USCenIndex&F2=PAT624_1389-0943>View
                  others on page
                  Household Members:
                  Name Age
                  <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1910USCenIndex&indiv=try&h=25299320>Lucia
                  Mone 40
                  <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1910USCenIndex&indiv=try&h=192144526>Laura
                  Mone 17
                  <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1910USCenIndex&indiv=try&h=192144527>Belton
                  Mone 7
                  <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1910USCenIndex&indiv=try&h=192144528>Edward
                  Mone 19
                  <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1910USCenIndex&indiv=try&h=25299319>George
                  Brooks 25 Lodger
                  <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1910USCenIndex&indiv=try&h=25299326>Thomas
                  Mason 22 Lodger
                  <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1910USCenIndex&indiv=try&h=25299322>Nellie
                  Marris 19 Lodger
                  <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1910USCenIndex&indiv=try&h=25299315>Margeret
                  Laws 26 Lodger

                  Name: Edward Mone (The other son)
                  [Edward Moore]
                  []

                  Age in 1910: 19
                  Estimated Birth Year: abt 1891
                  Birthplace: Washington, DC

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 19 1:50 PM
                    Barbara, this is interesting, I'm checking it out. I don't have a
                    membership to Ancestry.com so I can't view the census page. Is
                    there anyway you can email it to me? Thanks.

                    --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Sack
                    <bsack@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?
                    db=1910USCenIndex&indiv=try&h=25299320>Lucia
                    > Mone 40
                    > <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?
                    db=1910USCenIndex&indiv=try&h=192144526>Laura
                    > Mone 17
                    > <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?
                    db=1910USCenIndex&indiv=try&h=192144527>Belton
                    > Mone 7
                    > <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?
                    db=1910USCenIndex&indiv=try&h=192144528>Edward
                    > Mone 19
                    > <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?
                    db=1910USCenIndex&indiv=try&h=25299319>George
                    > Brooks 25
                    > <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?
                    db=1910USCenIndex&indiv=try&h=25299326>Thomas
                    > Mason 22
                    > <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?
                    db=1910USCenIndex&indiv=try&h=25299322>Nellie

                  • Barbara Sack
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 19 2:51 PM
                      Sorry, everyone, for the mess of links in my last post on this
                      topic. Still learning how to post things so they look okay here.

                      Barbara