Hello all - new to the group

  • sassiejae
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 13, 2008
      Hello everyone, my name is Joyce and I'm new to the group as well as
      to genealogy research. I started my search a few weeks ago and I've
      already run into roadblocks. I have very few living people I can go
      to for reference. I've been able to find my grandfather through the
      SS death index but I can't get further than that. I know I can
      request a copy of his SS card but I think it's too early in my search
      to start shelling out money. Does anyone have any suggestions on what
      my next step should be? Thanks.
    • Shannon
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 13, 2008
        I would suggest since you know at least his month, year and place of
        birth to find him on a census record for where he lived. That way you can
        find his family, trace him back to when he was a child and you can find
        his parents information. Also, when you send out requests and questions
        let us know what you've got on a person. Most of us can spare a few
        minutes to help someone out. Shannon

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 13, 2008
          Joyce Have you found him in the census. About what
          year was he born? I will help you with census. Write
          me Loisedwards1946@...
          --- sassiejae <sassiejae@...> wrote:

          > Hello everyone, my name is Joyce and I'm new to the
          > group as well as
          > to genealogy research. I started my search a few
          > weeks ago and I've
          > already run into roadblocks. I have very few living
          > people I can go
          > to for reference. I've been able to find my
          > grandfather through the
          > SS death index but I can't get further than that. I
          > know I can
          > request a copy of his SS card but I think it's too
          > early in my search
          > to start shelling out money. Does anyone have any
          > suggestions on what
          > my next step should be? Thanks.
          >

          > ------------------------------------
          >
          > Searching for your ancestry? You'll find great help
          > at Ancestry.Com

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          > (Yahoo! ID required)

          mailto:genealogyresearchclub-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          Looking for last minute shopping deals?
        • sassiejae
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 14, 2008
            I have found him in the 1930 census and it lists him, his wife and 3
            of their 10 children, one I've been able to find in the SS death
            index. I'll admit, I have no idea what I'm doing (smile). I've
            found a local group that is meeting in two weeks but I was hoping to
            be able to get started before then.

            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Lois Edwards

            _______________
            > Looking for last minute shopping deals?
            > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.
            http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?
            category=shopping

          • sassiejae
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 14, 2008
              My grandfather's name was Bolden T. Mann, born February 24, 1903 in
              Pennsylvania; died April 1968 in Salem, Virginia. Census says his
              parents were both born in Virginia but I don't know how or where to
              start looking for them.

              --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "sassiejae"
              <sassiejae@...> wrote:

              > I have found him in the 1930 census and it lists him, his wife and
              3
              > of their 10 children, one I've been able to find in the SS death
              > index. I'll admit, I have no idea what I'm doing (smile). I've
              > found a local group that is meeting in two weeks but I was hoping
              > be able to get started before then.
              >

              > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Lois Edwards
              > <loisedwards1946@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Joyce Have you found him in the census. About what
              > > year was he born? I will help you with census. Write
              > > me Loisedwards1946@
              > > --- sassiejae <sassiejae@> wrote:
              > >
              > > > Hello everyone, my name is Joyce and I'm new to the
              > > > group as well as
              > > > to genealogy research. I started my search a few
              > > > weeks ago and I've
              > > > already run into roadblocks. I have very few living
              > > > people I can go
              > > > to for reference. I've been able to find my
              > > > grandfather through the
              > > > SS death index but I can't get further than that. I
              > > > know I can
              > > > request a copy of his SS card but I think it's too
              > > > early in my search
              > > > to start shelling out money. Does anyone have any
              > > > suggestions on what
              > > > my next step should be? Thanks.
              > > >

              > > > ------------------------------------
              > > >
              > > > Searching for your ancestry? You'll find great help
              > > > at Ancestry.Com
              > > >

              > > http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?
              bfmid=5647408&siteid=18621718

              > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              > > > (Yahoo! ID required)
              > > >

              > > mailto:genealogyresearchclub-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              > _______________
              > > Looking for last minute shopping deals?
              > > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.
              > http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?
              > category=shopping

            • Vicki
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 15, 2008
                A good place to get some starter information is from an obituary. It
                is only as good as the person giving the information though. It is
                often useful to search the obituary's of the siblings also, because
                sometimes more info is known to another family member. I find that
                the city or county genealogical/historical societies also will have
                information to that local area. They will often have birth, death and
                various other information or have the addresses and info as to how to
                get that from the county or state. There might be an online place to
                search in the county he lived in. There are lots of general genealogy
                and message board online sites. You can often search and/or post in
                many of those message boards. If you do a search in this yahoo group
                you will probably find several sites listed. There are also some links
                over on the left hand side of the group home page.

                I have the 1930 census for Bolden and his wife Daisy, children and his
                mother-in-law from the Ancestry.com site. Do you descend from this
                wife Daisy also? If so, her maiden name might be the same as the
                Mother-in-Laws name listed on that census and can help you further
                your search on her. Susie Dow (the Mother in law) is listed in the
                1910 census as widowed and her daughter Daisy, age 8, living with her
                in Salem Ward 3,Roanoke Co., Virginia. I am not having any luck
                locating Bolden on any other census though.

                A hint to do as your searching gets started--write down where you find
                information and even write where you have searched to avoid doing it
                over (printed books, etc.). If you are searching in on-line message
                boards you will want to check back every once in a while to see if
                someone posted a response.

                Here are a couple of sites to help you get started
                http://www.rootsweb.com/~varoanok/
                http://www.familysearch.org/
                http://boards.ancestry.com/
                http://www.afrigeneas.com/

                <sassiejae@...> wrote:

                > My grandfather's name was Bolden T. Mann, born February 24, 1903 in
                > Pennsylvania; died April 1968 in Salem, Virginia. Census says his
                > parents were both born in Virginia but I don't know how or where to
                > start looking for them.
                >
                > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "sassiejae"
                > <sassiejae@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I have found him in the 1930 census and it lists him, his wife and
                > 3
                > > of their 10 children, one I've been able to find in the SS death
                > > index. I'll admit, I have no idea what I'm doing (smile). I've
                > > found a local group that is meeting in two weeks but I was hoping
                > > be able to get started before then.
                > >

                > > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Lois Edwards
                > > <loisedwards1946@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Joyce Have you found him in the census. About what
                > > > year was he born? I will help you with census. Write
                > > > me Loisedwards1946@

                > > > http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?
                > bfmid=5647408&siteid=18621718

                > > > mailto:genealogyresearchclub-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                > > _______________
                > > > Looking for last minute shopping deals?
                > > > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.
                > > http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?
                > > category=shopping

              • sassiejae
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 17, 2008
                  Good morning and thanks for the information and suggestions.
                  Someone from another group was able to get me the obituary for my
                  grandfather. It lists his children but nothing about his parents or
                  anything that I could go on.

                  --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Vicki"
                  <muchwisernow_2000@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  >

                  > -- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "sassiejae"
                  > <sassiejae@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > My grandfather's name was Bolden T. Mann, born February 24, 1903
                  in
                  > > Pennsylvania; died April 1968 in Salem, Virginia. Census says
                  his
                  > > parents were both born in Virginia but I don't know how or where
                  > > start looking for them.
                  > >
                  > > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "sassiejae"
                  > > <sassiejae@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I have found him in the 1930 census and it lists him, his wife
                  and
                  > > 3
                  > > > of their 10 children, one I've been able to find in the SS
                  death
                  > > > index. I'll admit, I have no idea what I'm doing (smile).
                  I've
                  > > > found a local group that is meeting in two weeks but I was

                • Barbara Sack
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 19, 2008
                    Joyce, could the following be your grandfather's family? From the
                    1910 census in PA - I found it on ancestry by looking for all males
                    living in PA born in PA in 1903 +/- 1 yr father from Virginia, using
                    soundex (nothing showed under Mann "exact"), then looking for something close.

                    Hope you recognize a name and this helps. Trying 1920 but so far nothing.

                    Barbara
                    Name: Belton Mone (looking at the scan of the actual census
                    page, it could at a stretch look like Mann - the writing is very poor)
                    [Belton Moore]
                    []

                    Age in 1910: 7
                    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1903
                    Birthplace: Pennsylvania
                    Relation to Head of House: Son
                    Father's Birth Place: Virginia
                    Mother's Name: Lucia
                    Mother's Birth Place: Virginia
                    Home in 1910: Philadelphia Ward 7, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
                    Marital Status: Single
                    Race: Black
                    Gender: Male
                    Neighbors:
                    <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?viewrecord=1&ti=0&r=an&db=1910USCenIndex&F2=PAT624_1389-0943>View
                    others on page
                    Household Members:
                    Name Age
                    <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1910USCenIndex&indiv=try&h=25299320>Lucia
                    Mone 40
                    <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1910USCenIndex&indiv=try&h=192144526>Laura
                    Mone 17
                    <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1910USCenIndex&indiv=try&h=192144527>Belton
                    Mone 7
                    <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1910USCenIndex&indiv=try&h=192144528>Edward
                    Mone 19
                    <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1910USCenIndex&indiv=try&h=25299319>George
                    Brooks 25
                    <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1910USCenIndex&indiv=try&h=25299326>Thomas
                    Mason 22
                    <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1910USCenIndex&indiv=try&h=25299322>Nellie
                    Marris 19
                    <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1910USCenIndex&indiv=try&h=25299315>Margeret
                    Laws 26

                    Name: Lucia Mone (The mother - head of household)
                    [Lucia Moore]
                    []

                    Age in 1910: 40
                    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1870
                    Birthplace: Virginia
                    Relation to Head of House: Head
                    Father's Birth Place: Virginia
                    Mother's Birth Place: Virginia
                    Home in 1910: Philadelphia Ward 7, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
                    Marital Status: Widowed
                    Race: Black
                    [Colored (Black)]
                    []

                    Gender: Female
                    Neighbors:
                    <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?viewrecord=1&ti=0&r=an&db=1910USCenIndex&F2=PAT624_1389-0943>View
                    others on page
                    Household Members:
                    Name Age
                    <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1910USCenIndex&indiv=try&h=25299320>Lucia
                    Mone 40
                    <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1910USCenIndex&indiv=try&h=192144526>Laura
                    Mone 17
                    <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1910USCenIndex&indiv=try&h=192144527>Belton
                    Mone 7
                    <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1910USCenIndex&indiv=try&h=192144528>Edward
                    Mone 19
                    <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1910USCenIndex&indiv=try&h=25299319>George
                    Brooks 25 Lodger
                    <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1910USCenIndex&indiv=try&h=25299326>Thomas
                    Mason 22 Lodger
                    <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1910USCenIndex&indiv=try&h=25299322>Nellie
                    Marris 19 Lodger
                    <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1910USCenIndex&indiv=try&h=25299315>Margeret
                    Laws 26 Lodger

                    Name: Edward Mone (The other son)
                    [Edward Moore]
                    []

                    Age in 1910: 19
                    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1891
                    Birthplace: Washington, DC

                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 19, 2008
                      Barbara, this is interesting, I'm checking it out. I don't have a
                      membership to Ancestry.com so I can't view the census page. Is
                      there anyway you can email it to me? Thanks.

                      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Sack
                      <bsack@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?
                      db=1910USCenIndex&indiv=try&h=25299320>Lucia
                      > Mone 40
                      > <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?
                      db=1910USCenIndex&indiv=try&h=192144526>Laura
                      > Mone 17
                      > <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?
                      db=1910USCenIndex&indiv=try&h=192144527>Belton
                      > Mone 7
                      > <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?
                      db=1910USCenIndex&indiv=try&h=192144528>Edward
                      > Mone 19
                      > <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?
                      db=1910USCenIndex&indiv=try&h=25299319>George
                      > Brooks 25
                      > <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?
                      db=1910USCenIndex&indiv=try&h=25299326>Thomas
                      > Mason 22
                      > <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?
                      db=1910USCenIndex&indiv=try&h=25299322>Nellie

                    • Barbara Sack
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 19, 2008
                        Sorry, everyone, for the mess of links in my last post on this
                        topic. Still learning how to post things so they look okay here.

                        Barbara