Mathis, Mathews, Murdock, Brown, Manning, Ricks, Braswell

  • ednaraye
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 20, 2008
      I have a few brick walls here.
      (1)Sarah Ann Mathews, daughter of William Mathews and Nancy Murdock,
      born 1854 and died 1930's, both in Chattooga County, Georgia, had 4
      children- Marion Mathis, Ross Mathis, Hess Mathis, and Mary Mathis.
      Family lore says husband was one of the Cherokee who hid out in the Ga
      mountains instead of going on the Trail of Tears. I don't know his
      name and can find no documentation of his existence.
      (2)Arthur Brown, born in Virginia, unknown date, married Fannie
      Manning, daughter of Wallace Manning and Emma Price of Ga, in 1912 in
      Alabama, had 2 children-Robert and Lettie. In 1920, Fannie is shown in
      Alabama census married to John Hill and they have Robert and Letty and
      several Hill children.
      (3)Penelopy Braswell, born 1764, probably in NC, married to Benjamin
      Manning(1764-1835), died Ga 1855, mother of Alexander Manning(1785-1855)
      husband to Sarah Ricks.
      If anyone has information or ideas on any of these people, I would be
      grateful to hear from you. I have ancestry.com and have also checked
      the LDS site. Thank you.
    • mg

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 22, 2008
          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, mg <maryogarvey@...>
          wrote:

          > All I know is that Manning is a common name in Dingle, Ireland. mg
          >
          > ednaraye ednaraye@... wrote: I have a few brick walls here.
          > (1)Sarah Ann Mathews, daughter of William Mathews and Nancy Murdock,
          > born 1854 and died 1930's, both in Chattooga County, Georgia, had 4
          > children- Marion Mathis, Ross Mathis, Hess Mathis, and Mary Mathis.
          > Family lore says husband was one of the Cherokee who hid out in the Ga
          > mountains instead of going on the Trail of Tears. I don't know his
          > name and can find no documentation of his existence.
          > (2)Arthur Brown, born in Virginia, unknown date, married Fannie
          > Manning, daughter of Wallace Manning and Emma Price of Ga, in 1912 in
          > Alabama, had 2 children-Robert and Lettie. In 1920, Fannie is shown in
          > Alabama census married to John Hill and they have Robert and Letty and
          > several Hill children.
          > (3)Penelopy Braswell, born 1764, probably in NC, married to Benjamin
          > Manning(1764-1835), died Ga 1855, mother of Alexander
          Manning(1785-1855)
          > husband to Sarah Ricks.
          > If anyone has information or ideas on any of these people, I would be
          > grateful to hear from you. I have ancestry.com and have also checked
          > the LDS site. Thank you.
          >

          > I have a BRAZZLE branch in my family. I found that the surname
          BRAZZLE has been spelled many different ways. Have you tried a surname
          search? I found Richard BRAZZLE a french hunter, place of birth unknown
          who married Lucica ROBERTS in Kentucky.

          Anyway, I went through many different surname spellings before I found
          my Gr. Gr.Gr. Grandmother Jane BRAZZLE.

          I hope this helps. I'll keep looking for your Penelopy BRASWELL.

          Denice

        • Denice Wilson
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 23, 2008
            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "ednaraye"
            <ednaraye@...> wrote:

            > I have a few brick walls here.
            > (1)Sarah Ann Mathews, daughter of William Mathews and Nancy
            Murdock,
            > born 1854 and died 1930's, both in Chattooga County, Georgia, had 4
            > children- Marion Mathis, Ross Mathis, Hess Mathis, and Mary Mathis.
            > Family lore says husband was one of the Cherokee who hid out in the
            Ga
            > mountains instead of going on the Trail of Tears. I don't know his
            > name and can find no documentation of his existence.
            > (2)Arthur Brown, born in Virginia, unknown date, married Fannie
            > Manning, daughter of Wallace Manning and Emma Price of Ga, in 1912
            in
            > Alabama, had 2 children-Robert and Lettie. In 1920, Fannie is
            shown in
            > Alabama census married to John Hill and they have Robert and Letty
            and
            > several Hill children.
            > (3)Penelopy Braswell, born 1764, probably in NC, married to
            Benjamin
            > Manning(1764-1835), died Ga 1855, mother of Alexander Manning(1785-
            1855)
            > husband to Sarah Ricks.
            > If anyone has information or ideas on any of these people, I would
            be
            > grateful to hear from you. I have ancestry.com and have also
            checked
            > the LDS site. Thank you.

            Hi me again,
            I found a couple of sites that may be helpful.
            www.brasswellfamily.org
            www.braswell-genealogy.com
            www.nonawilliams.com/names/Braswell/default.htm
            Hope you find something,