Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Help! Incorrect Records at Ancestry

  • claire frustine
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 11, 2008
      I totally understand I've found Grandfather did not have any records them did then disapeared again when I first joined I typed in some misinformation and some nice people in England lent a hand Some really great people involved in research, Talked to a guy in Canada who calls me Cuz now !! Ancestry would not allow me to delete anything!! even when I told them it was a mistake but it didn't matter, now I have iron clad proof but even stuff filled out by grand dad has different information I think he was hiding something??And thats the English family. The Polish side [maternal } Is worse Ancestry has one census record from 1930 but the name is spelled wrong and nothing before is available on the family!!InLoveWeSearch@... wrote:
      In a message dated 2/10/2008 11:27:28 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
      no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:

      I can prove it, I have a death certificate, I have the statement of a
      relative who owns the address and phone where my deceased relative is
      listed as still living that the deceased does NOT and never DID live
      there.

      But those facts are of no use to me if ancestry.com won't listen, or
      won't disclose WHERE the information is reported from. It is NOT from a
      family tree. It is from a PUBLIC RECORD. GenerationsNetwork told me
      this is likely a county record, but won't elaborate.

      Sorry, I wasn't clear on what I was saying. My bad. What I meant was that
      if it is from a public record, and you do ever find out which/where it is,
      getting that changed involves proof and money. Ancestry.com will never change
      anything. As far as they are concerned, they are basically just a warehouse
      for people to put their information, right or wrong, and where others can
      look at it and use it if they want, whether it makes sense or not. The only way
      to get anything changed on Ancestry is to get the submitter to change their
      information and then resubmit the corrected records. Like I said, most
      people are more interested in filling in blanks than whether the information is
      correct. Why else would someone keep the information on their submitted family
      tree that my grandfather was married and had three children by 1880 when he
      wasn't born until 1914? I can't tell you how many times, and I am not the
      only one--I'm sure, who is checking out some information online and reads how
      someone has tracked a family tree back to the 1800's, 1700's, etc, only to
      find that a listed child born in 1763 had parents born in 1924. Where in
      anyone's mind can that even begin to make sense?

      48)

      Yahoo! Groups Links