Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Re: Help! Incorrect Records at Ancestry

  • jodi nasser
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 7, 2008
      You pay for Ancestry.com if they are wrong they should be accountable. I have had so many problems with them not only incorrect information but other problems. I think that you should get at least 3 verifications. I get verification on anything that comes from the computer. I try to get the original paper which can be costly for a certified copy, the census online if I can find it, a family member if they are reliable (that's why I check the information as family members hide things like out of wedlock children, non-marriages, poverty, crimes, etc. Why they do this I have no idea these people are long dead most of the time., But I guess they have their reasons.) I then check dates and times and other things on the computer or sometimes in history as some of the events do not match the dates of the claims. Like some of my ancestors are supposed to have served in the Revolutionary war, some did, but there are some that are listed as serving by a family member and they
      were not even born yet. Can't get the family member to get rid of that either and it is so obvious. Keep looking, it is fun when you need to search at least for me. Ancestry.com is only as good as the people who post there. I think they should have better records, but they are in for the money not to actually help. Just my opinions.

      shelby jen <shlbyjen@...> wrote: I had the same problem with ancestry.com..... so i contacted them and they gave me
      the email address on the person who sumited the information. When i contacted that
      person ... He said he got the information from a family menber. and he wasent changing the information. He had me listed as being born in 1948, i was born in 1955. He also had my husband listed as my child. So how much trouble is that going to cause a 100 years from now.
      So good luck with that.

      Tina Stedman <tolksteel@...> wrote:
      I am truly sorry but you probably will never be able to get ancestry
      to change the record.

      Ancestry does not do the research. They allow people, who do not
      document their findings, to post their family trees and to post
      messages. They also upload genealogy books that can and can not be
      documented along with the public records from different counties,
      states, and countries. These public records can be incorrect and
      there is not much you can do about that.

      Exactly what kind of information is incorrect?

      Good Luck!!

      Tina Stedman

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, hollling <no_reply@...>
      wrote:

      > My household and one of another family member are incorrect at
      > ancestry.com. I have asked them how to correct these records, but they
      > say they only report PUBLIC records, and won't tell me where or what
      > entity is reporting incorrect information. I called the county to see
      > if they were the source, and they assured me, NO, they have hardly any
      > computers and do not report anything, AND the records I asked about
      > are not in their system anyway.
      >
      > I made similar inquiries at generations, the site
      > affiliated/owned/owned by ancestry. Nothing doing there either.
      >
      > Has anyone else had such problems correcting information? How can I
      > attempt to correct information that ancestry.com reports if they won't
      > tell me where that information comes from, other than 'public records'?
      >
      > What do I do about this. It's even causing mild strife in the family.
      > Did a relative report this information? I've asked, but they say no,
      > but I'm not sure I believe them.

      <j> odi

    • InLoveWeSearch@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 7, 2008
        There is no way Ancestry will correct erroneous information. I tried
        getting something changed, stating that I could not understand how they could
        possibly allow information that my grandfather was married and had three children
        about thirty years before he was even born. The thing was, even in the tree
        where he was shown, it had the correct date of birth for Grandpa which makes
        it all the stranger. How can someone put such obviously wrong information in
        their tree? I would rather have blanks than have something I know is wrong,
        or as in my grandfather's case, impossible! You can try contacting the
        person who submitted the tree/information but good luck with that. Most people I
        have had contact with are adamant about keeping the information because it
        fills in their brick walls, even if it makes them look ridiculous. I guess I
        have just had bad luck with most of the 'family' contacts I have had. I
        have encountered the gamut from indifference to out and out anger and hate from
        people to whom I am related, no matter how distantly, so don't hold out much
        hope that you can get anyone to change their information. Most people do not
        take genealogy research very seriously and would prefer a name and date, any
        name and date, than to have factual information that requires some effort on
        their part. That is why I have blanks where other members of our extended
        family have names and dates as what they have is either not possible or is
        improbable. Guess I will never have the family tree on Ancestry.com I once
        discovered, where someone had 'traced' their family line back to a Roman
        centurion before the birth of Christ. Made for some interesting (more than likely,
        I would imagine, fictional) reading.
        If the information on Ancestry is from a public forum, court of law, death
        certificate, whatever, they still will not change it and your chances of
        changing it depends on your ability to prove your case and pay for the cost of
        proving it and having it changed. Case in point.....when my aunt died, her
        brother, my uncle, gave the information for her death certificate. One of the
        major points that is currently in error, based on his information, is that she
        was indeed married, and for quite some time, even though he supplied
        information to the contrary. My uncle told them she had never been married, even
        though he knew for a fact she had been married. Though I, and all my siblings,
        know the truth, none of us has the time or financial ability (or quite
        honestly the inclination) to go through the court and have it changed. So for all
        time, whenever anyone accesses her death certificate, they will be reading
        information that is incorrect.

        Bambi Lynne

        48)

      • Mary
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 8, 2008
          Here's a good one for ya. This happened about two years ago. Some of my paternal ancestors were from Newark, New Jersey, during the early 1800's. I have the birth certificate for one son which lists William Holmes and Letitia as his parents. This was my direct ancestors brother, but was unable to get his certificate. No last name for Letitia, so I tried a search. Son Robert was born 1853 so Letitia had to be born at least 1829. I did a search in 1850 census. No William and Letitia Holmes. Robert was the first son, so I guessed that maybe they had not married yet, so I took the 1850 census, put in only the name, Letitia, b. 1829, living Newark, New Jersey. I found two at the time. One the birthdate didn't fit, but I found a Letitia Solomon, b. 1829, and then, I found a tree with Letitia Solomon, but no marriage info. So, I wrote to this person, explained why I was looking for Letitia and asked if he had further into. I gave him the name of my ancestor and the
          name of his son that I am descended from, but did not give the name of the son I had the birth certificate for. This person wrote back and said, "Sorry, I have no further info on Letitia." Two days later I went back to his tree and found he had placed the info I gave him in my question onto his tree without even researching. Now, this is not a very common family that many people are researching, but if it was, there'd probably be a dozen or more wrong trees out there.

          Laura Haggarty <laurashaggarty@...> wrote: While I generally like the information I can find on ancestry.com, it is
          obvious once you've been on for a while that it's not all accurate. I am
          also concerned about how they allow people to poach items from others. I
          initially had my tree public, and spent many, many hours scanning in old
          photos and documents. Later I discovered that another user had blithely
          lifted a number of my images from my pages, without so much as a by your
          leave. When I contacted him, he very bluntly told me he didn't care what I
          thought, and wasn't going to remove them. I called ancestry about it, and
          they told me that since my tree was public, my photos and documents were
          fair game for anyone to take without my permission. I immediately made my
          tree private.

          Since then I've noticed this guy has information that is incorrect about my
          family on his tree (his wife's uncle is somehow related to me.) I have not
          bothered to correct it, since he was so rude and uncooperative before. I
          guess it's just the risk we take with info on the internet. Unless you can
          back things up with hard data (birth and death certificates, census records
          and so on), I take anything I find on there with a large grain of salt. I
          mean, we can't ALL be related to Mark Anthony, now can we? <grin>

          Laura Haggarty

          www.pathfindersfarm.com

          http://mizgreenjeans.blogspot.com/

        • hollling
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 8, 2008
            > If the information on Ancestry is from a public forum, court of
            > law, death certificate, whatever, they still will not change it and
            > your chances of changing it depends on your ability to prove your
            > case and pay for the cost of proving it and having it changed.

            I can prove it, I have a death certificate, I have the statement of a
            relative who owns the address and phone where my deceased relative is
            listed as still living that the deceased does NOT and never DID live
            there.

            But those facts are of no use to me if ancestry.com won't listen, or
            won't disclose WHERE the information is reported from. It is NOT from a
            family tree. It is from a PUBLIC RECORD. GenerationsNetwork told me
            this is likely a county record, but won't elaborate.
          • InLoveWeSearch@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 11, 2008
              In a message dated 2/10/2008 11:27:28 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
              no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:

              I can prove it, I have a death certificate, I have the statement of a
              relative who owns the address and phone where my deceased relative is
              listed as still living that the deceased does NOT and never DID live
              there.

              But those facts are of no use to me if ancestry.com won't listen, or
              won't disclose WHERE the information is reported from. It is NOT from a
              family tree. It is from a PUBLIC RECORD. GenerationsNetwork told me
              this is likely a county record, but won't elaborate.

              Sorry, I wasn't clear on what I was saying. My bad. What I meant was that
              if it is from a public record, and you do ever find out which/where it is,
              getting that changed involves proof and money. Ancestry.com will never change
              anything. As far as they are concerned, they are basically just a warehouse
              for people to put their information, right or wrong, and where others can
              look at it and use it if they want, whether it makes sense or not. The only way
              to get anything changed on Ancestry is to get the submitter to change their
              information and then resubmit the corrected records. Like I said, most
              people are more interested in filling in blanks than whether the information is
              correct. Why else would someone keep the information on their submitted family
              tree that my grandfather was married and had three children by 1880 when he
              wasn't born until 1914? I can't tell you how many times, and I am not the
              only one--I'm sure, who is checking out some information online and reads how
              someone has tracked a family tree back to the 1800's, 1700's, etc, only to
              find that a listed child born in 1763 had parents born in 1924. Where in
              anyone's mind can that even begin to make sense?

              48)

            • Steve
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 11, 2008
                >Just to put my two penneth in.
                Whoever the transcribers are at ancestry they're doing a terrible job
                and making mistakes that are quite frankly pretty stupid. On nearly
                every single document I've read regarding my ancestors you have
                mistakes from the original entries and to top that you also have a
                great many mistakes from the modern transcribers. This ultimately
                will lead to a great deal of confusion for genealogists now and in
                the future. We are starting to see problems already with regard to
                searches. I wonder what sort of problems we'll have with the 1911
                when it comes out.
                Regards,
                Steve.
              • claire frustine